Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installed GPSAssist - now navigate from contacts not working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installed GPSAssist - now navigate from contacts not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Installed GPSAssist - now navigate from contacts not working Reply with quote

TTN2 ver 2.24 After installing GPSAssist and then trying to use Contacts to "Navigate to" or "Show on Tomtom Map" used to work but now i get an error message "Unable to use PIM services"

So i tried to use Contacts to navigate through GPSAssist but this gives an error message "An error was encountered while running this program: Object required: 'polApp'" any ideas what's going on here?

Del.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you're getting "Unable to use PIM services" is because when you installed you had an option to overwrite several files, one I believe is PIM.DLL or something similar. If you don't overwrite this file, then you won't be able to use PIM options (Personal Information Manager), things like contacts etc.

If you did select this on install, it maybe that you've installed another program before or after GPSAssist, and it has overwritten that file, and you've since uninstalled it removing this DLL.

A reinstall of GPSAssist should fix this, but say yes to overwrite the file.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an excellent web site and forum packed full of invaluable info. and helpfull people - thanks for the response Dave. The GPSAssist installation instructions tells you to overwrite all files, any fool can do as he's told, so i did. So GPSAssist cripples the PPCs PIM Contact integration but Hey it's own should take over right! No this doesn't work either, instead i get this "An error was encountered while running this program: Object required: 'polApp'" what's that about? I press OK to clear the error and the wait timer comes up and never goes away - Hmmm. BTW i'm using this on a Dell X5 Axim with WM2003.

Looking at the Promosoft web site i can't see a way of getting any support for GPSAssist, the support email link doesn't work, so i might steer clear of this product until it's been fully tested.

OK to get PPC contacts working again i'll have to do a hard reset duh! why don't we get a CD of the PPC O/S so we can do things like replacing the odd missing file, mind you PCs dont get an O/S on CD either these days, I sound like Victor Meldrew - moan moan moan ;o) Is there any other way of replacing these missing files?

Do i have to use GPSAssist or POIWarner etc. to use the "pocketgps_uk_sc" I'm guesing but that without these addon programs the SCs would just show up as POI on the map!

thanks

Del
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's your problem. Overwriting the files on Pocket PC 2002 is the right thing to do. Unfortunately there isn't a proper 2003 version available, it does support 2003 according to the GPSAssist website, but I haven't tried it myself.

Did you do a backup with the supplied backup program from ROM to storage card ? If so, just restore this. If you haven't used Pocket Backup before, start using it, it's really a life saver!

CheckPOInt 2.02 will be your best bet under WM2003 and there's a copy on our downloads page in the CheckPOInt section.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, i measnt to get back to before. I'm now using CheckPOInt and it works just great.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: