Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom thieves now possibly following cars. Be Warned!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom thieves now possibly following cars. Be Warned!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: TomTom thieves now possibly following cars. Be Warned! Reply with quote

I had my tomtom ONE stolen from inside my car at 7am last Saturday morning. My car was parked at the top of our drive, near the house well away from the road when it was broken into which was done by smashing two windows, the first being the rear 1/4 light and then after struggling to open the doors it smashed the drivers side window.
The police say that this was obviously a targeted theft of a tomtom which are now the most in demand goods for car thieves.
Upon telling my story to the police I was asked whether I had possibly been followed home recently. I told them I did seem to get followed by a car for an unusually long time right onto our estate only the day before. Obviously some of you might argue that this was purely coincidence but I do genuinely feel that I was tailed.
To make matters worse, I was woken by the car alarm going off and yelled out of the window at the hooded figure as it was smashing the drivers door glass. Stupidly I had left the tomtom in the door pocket. No, the sucker mount wasn't fixed to the windsreen.
Be careful, be very careful and only use them on proper journeys and definately don't use the sucker mount as you might as well hold the tomtom out of the window for all to see. I have learnt my lesson the hard way so take all possible precautions.
P.S. When having the door windows repaired there were 4 other people in there all having suffered a similar experience the same night.
Scuby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom thieves now possibly following cars. Be Warned! Reply with quote

FrostyPredator wrote:
I had my tomtom ONE stolen from inside my car at 7am last Saturday morning. My car was parked at the top of our drive, near the house well away from the road when it was broken into which was done by smashing two windows, the first being the rear 1/4 light and then after struggling to open the doors it smashed the drivers side window.
The police say that this was obviously a targeted theft of a tomtom which are now the most in demand goods for car thieves.
Upon telling my story to the police I was asked whether I had possibly been followed home recently. I told them I did seem to get followed by a car for an unusually long time right onto our estate only the day before. Obviously some of you might argue that this was purely coincidence but I do genuinely feel that I was tailed.
To make matters worse, I was woken by the car alarm going off and yelled out of the window at the hooded figure as it was smashing the drivers door glass. Stupidly I had left the tomtom in the door pocket. No, the sucker mount wasn't fixed to the windsreen.
Be careful, be very careful and only use them on proper journeys and definately don't use the sucker mount as you might as well hold the tomtom out of the window for all to see. I have learnt my lesson the hard way so take all possible precautions.
P.S. When having the door windows repaired there were 4 other people in there all having suffered a similar experience the same night.

Where are you located?
FrostyPredator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Cheshire
birman12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I symapthise compleately with you having had my first unit knicked whilst paying for petrol one evening. The perps must have spotted me putting the unil and cradle under the seat...however I have just bought a new unit, this time going for Road Angel's navigator, which I bought directly, and I muyst say congratulations to this company as they were the only one offering an insurance against theft and damage.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birman12 wrote:
I symapthise compleately with you having had my first unit knicked whilst paying for petrol one evening. The perps must have spotted me putting the unil and cradle under the seat

Did you not lock your car or did they smash the window while you were in the petrol station?

birman12 wrote:
congratulations to this company as they were the only one offering an insurance against theft and damage.

Read the fine print, I'd be willing to bet that they don't cover it if it is stolen from your car....
birman12
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unit was stolen from locked car in garage but small print with this new insurance covers if stolen from locked car once unit is out of sight, or in glove box- better than nothing at all.
Thanks for your comment mate, was worth checkin
jamsie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: stolen gps units Reply with quote

just to let you know that thieves are targeting cars in sw10 area of london, my car was broken into in the early hours of friday morning, i NEVER leave my sat nav in the car,but i did leave the mount,,,,the police came and took fingerprints,,,,on the monday just five cars away was another car that had been broken into,,,and well yes the owner did leave his sat nav and radio facia in the car,,,IF PEOPLE PERSIST IN LEAVING SAT NAV UNITS IN THE CAR WHICH IS STUPID)these thieves will target all cars with mounts left in the window.....they climbed through my driver side window got 2 the booy of the car and just ransacked it hoping 2 find the unit, these thieves dont care how much damage they do but if you think about it even if they smash 50 windows a week and only get 3 units they casn sell them on for about 100 pounds,so that makes 1,200 pounds per month tax free for a few minutes work...looking forward 2 hearing how many people leave their units in the car

jamsie Question
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is just my personal veiw but this is where the mobile and pocket pc versiopns of tomtom and copilot come in to there own especially with phone like the spv600 and xdamini and the sda range from tomobile as well as nokia phones with are compatable with route66 abd tomtom as you more likely to take these with you when leaving the car and as you can get car kits etc noone need be any the wiser that you have sat nav and there need be no more wires inn the car than with something by a go or icn

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
this is just my personal veiw but this is where the mobile and pocket pc versiopns of tomtom and copilot come in to there own especially with phone like the spv600 and xdamini and the sda range from tomobile as well as nokia phones with are compatable with route66 abd tomtom as you more likely to take these with you when leaving the car and as you can get car kits etc noone need be any the wiser that you have sat nav and there need be no more wires inn the car than with something by a go or icn

That's exactly my view too. I started out with using TomTom3 on a PDA where the wired GPS would have a green flashing light and the crade was extremely obvious, it was also a pain having to take the PDA with me every time.

Now I use TomTom Mobile on my Nokia and all I have in the car is a standard Nokia charging cable and a £10 vent mount for my phone, my phone always stays in my pocket wherever I am. It doesn't stop them stealing my phone from me of course but they would have to take it from me directly, not break into my car.

Plus, having TomTom with you all the time out of the car has its advantages too.

In an ideal world I would have a TomTom GO 910 permanently wired into the car but the theives have meant that it's too much hassle Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: