Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony TMC units... any reviews?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony TMC units... any reviews?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieronishere m8. Unfortunatly the GPS ext receiver is placed on the tail end of my Combo van and the wiring is routed inside. I think the TMC signal is inprovement is down to the lengh of the cable and not the receiver on the outside of the van.
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:
kieronishere m8. Unfortunatly the GPS ext receiver is placed on the tail end of my Combo van and the wiring is routed inside. I think the TMC signal is inprovement is down to the lengh of the cable and not the receiver on the outside of the van.

Thanks. What I can't understand is why it should be improved at all as that cable is connected to the gps circuitry which I would have thought is entirely seperate from the fm circuitry for the TMC - hence the separate aeriel conection for an fm antenna for the TMC. Seems strange that having an external gps antenna should make any differrence at all. Anyway it obviously does.

Has anyone else like dippy tried an external gps antenna and if so has it improved their tmc reception?
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This TMC reception is a funny thing you know. I too can't quite see how an external GPS antenna affects it. Odd.

I bought a large T-aerial from Maplin and installed that - supposed to cover the right FM frequencies, but I have to say it makes not the slightest difference.

Sometimes - most times - the TMC simply will not lock in, often for a whole journey. Other times it will lock in the second I turn the unit on and stay there happily.

It makes no odds whether the settings are "hold", "manual input" or "automatic tuning" in my experience.

If you put the unit into Windows mode (as outlined in my guide to adding the speed camera database for this unit) there is a "test" program that allows some fiddling with the TMC settings internally - but I don't understand them at the moment and am therefore loathe to play. I've tried to find out a little more about the TMC broadcasts in terms of technical information but no joy yet. But I'll not give up....
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Belgium. Does anyone has any first hand experience of the usage of TMC in europe apart from UK? yesterday i avoided the highway as there was a warning dispalyed about a traffic jam ahead. but later on i got stuck in the smaller road as well for 30 mins. can TMC detect such traffic jams efficiently. after all its dependent on the braodcast and they will only do that for motorways or major roads isnt it?
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't have any experience on of non-UK TMC, but as I understand it, at least in the UK, the Trafficmaster TMC feeds are primarily driven from roadside sensors, whereas the iTIS TMC feeds are primarily driven from fleets of vehicles? The Sony of course uses iTIS.

In which case minor roads are less likely to be covered, but will have some chance under iTIS as long as some vehicles in the fleet go down them.

Now, just going back to the aerial question - is anyone knowledgeable enough to comment on this idea?

The software in the Sony unit is a variant of Navigon software, yes? The Navigon site has a number of bits for sale, and some accessories. These include a specific TMC aerial with the ability to plug into the car aerial as well. I know Sony do the same thing, but the Navigon one is WAY cheaper at 39 Euros. The conections look as though they might be ok.

Even more interesting perhaps, for U50 owners, is an external TMC receiver for about 70 euros that enables Navigon software to receive TMC. I have a U70 so am not going to try it myself of course, but I do know from my pokings about the software simply expects the TMC data to be on a specific com port so it's not that impossible it might work? Probably not bu worth a thought!

Anyone know whether these accessories might work with a Sony?

https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/accessories/2
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikash_sinha wrote:
yesterday i avoided the highway as there was a warning dispalyed about a traffic jam ahead. but later on i got stuck in the smaller road as well for 30 mins. can TMC detect such traffic jams efficiently
Indeed, this is one problem with traffic information - it will only tell you about the traffic on the roads being monitored - the SatNav software will compare the road and the delay information with the alternative routes in normal running - however, if the delay is severe enough, the other roads will also be affected, but the SatNav will still think it's a better (faster) route.

Until we have devices using both predictive traffic information and very clever delay forecasting on alternative routes, we will suffer this problem.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what have been your experience with TMC with Sony till now? good, satisfactory or poor. since i have 50 U sony unit, I will have to buy a cradle to support TMC . Is it worth investing the money. I don't even know how much it costs. My present cradle jerks a lot and as a result the whole unit jerks while driving. I dont know if its specific to my cradle or all of you has the same problem. On close inspection i realised that the hinge at the back near th3 winscreen leaves some kind of gap due to which its not fixed.
kieronishere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tmc for sony u50t Reply with quote

was2502 wrote:
Hi i just got a sony u50t after reading the reports on this site and i couldnt get a signal on it.so i stripped about 1 inch off the wire then put the system on the right side of the steering wheel and put the standard aerial throught the door rubber(no holes made ) the feed it up to the wing and leaved it there.i then got a full signal even when i drove to wales in the hills i got 100% signal and still am .
so my tip is get the aerial outside the car and it will work fine (and i havent done the 1.03 upgrade yet)

Dippy - what do you reckon to this as a possibile way forward?
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of TMC is that it works about 50% of the time, but there are a number of possible factors involved, including quality of Classic FM reception in the part of the counrtry where you are travelling.

I bought the TMC version because I fancied it rather than as a must have, and I'm happy enough with it - but if I went and paid extra money JUST to have it I think I'd be disappointed, especially as even when you get a lock the quality of information is variable.

So - nice toy, great to have, worth investing a few bob to buy but not a lot.

Never had any problems with the cradle, once both screws are tightened. There is a push out metal sleeve in the hinge - make sure that's in place is the only think I can think of - it fell out of mine on day one and had to be retrieved from the floor.

For what it's worth, I've asked Sony about TMC signal quality and aerials etc - any response I'll post here as appropriate.

The ONE thing that bugs me about this kit is the POIs not working in 3D. Bah.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that POI and street names dont work in 3D but you will also agree that 2D is the best in class comapred to competitors like tomtom and navman. i use now 2D and i have got used to it. the main problem is that you cant add new POis like speed camera from internet. How do i contact sony for feedback or any queries?
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2d is bearable. Sony say that it OUGHT to work in 3d and they hope to get it doing so at some point. Not be holding my breath.

I used the email contact form at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArticle.action?article=1121156656296&site=odw_en_GB
PeteCymru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my 70T in NW Belgium a couple of weeks ago and TMC worked. Having said that, TMC has told me there are problems on a road I'm driving through and I haven't seen them so I'm not sure I trust it.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
new upgrade available at sony website:
Software update version 1.04 (released on 8th May 2006):

This update replaces software version 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 and improves the following product functionality:

In certain regions, TMC information may not be displayed correctly

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: