Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: TMC or Plus? Reply with quote

So, with the TMC module on the horizon will this be a better alternative to the current Plus traffic? I have the Classic at the moment and would really like some sort of traffic warning system. Should I go for a ONE with the Plus subsciption or wait for the new generation of 'GO's' with the TMC add on?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gilbem1 wrote:
MP3 player, connection to home computer, photo viewer? Isn't this just a bulky version of what PDA's have been able to do for years?

I can see the benefit of the MP3/iPOD as it makes carrying your music collection and controlling an in-car iPOD much easier. The Photo Viewer I'm less convinced by.
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC or Plus? Reply with quote

Jammy1 wrote:
So, with the TMC module on the horizon will this be a better alternative to the current Plus traffic? I have the Classic at the moment and would really like some sort of traffic warning system. Should I go for a ONE with the Plus subsciption or wait for the new generation of 'GO's' with the TMC add on?

Hi,

I've had TMC on my Kenwood for about 18 months. I'd have to say it is over rated. Much of the info is simply wrong. i.e. It shows heavy traffic and when you get there there's nothing to see. When it shows a bad enough incident that it re-routes you around it I tend to ignore it as I don't trust it. This is my personal experience but I'm not a road warrior Smile

Other people who have used it may have a different opinion.

Kind regards,

Mark
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TMC or Plus? Reply with quote

Jammy1 wrote:

Having had experience of TMC delivered via RDS/FM and vis GPRS I find the GPRS service more reliable. There are many places were reception of TMC over FM is patchy or uniavailable, certainly far more blackspots that the GPRS network has.

Having said that, the TMC data itself needs to be improved. It's quality varies wildly and sometimes it will miss huge incidentswhilst at other times you get alerts for problems that have long since passed.
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be me being thick...but will the new TMC addon just provide the same updates as the current Plus service but via the FM radio signal? Or does the source of traffic info come form a differnt data source than Plus?[/quote]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy1 wrote:
Might be me being thick...but will the new TMC addon just provide the same updates as the current Plus service but via the FM radio signal? Or does the source of traffic info come form a differnt data source than Plus?

Same data, different delivery method and one would assume no subscription required.
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gilbem1 wrote:
MP3 player, connection to home computer, photo viewer? Isn't this just a bulky version of what PDA's have been able to do for years?

I can see the benefit of the MP3/iPOD as it makes carrying your music collection and controlling an in-car iPOD much easier. The Photo Viewer I'm less convinced by.

I agree about the Photo Viewer; however, I am really excited about the MP3/iPod connection. I've been complaining a lot recently about having to switch b/w GPS and my iPod, so now I won't have to with these new devices.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one concern.

The attraction of the TTGO is it's simplicity - ie. you can just switch it on and GO.

I'm just hoping all this additional functionality doesn't mean loads of wires...... ariels and a massive power requirement which means you have to have it plugged into the cig lighter socket for all but V short journeys.

I suppose it's a case of wait and see......

If it is any good I'll be upgrading Smile

Chris
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the battery life is better than the ONE. I don't like having to plug it in and having wires trailing across the steering wheel (I never have been able to cope with operating it left handed!). I want to only plug it in on long journeys, but use it on battery around town or short trips. The ONE's battery life isn't really up to this. I end up plugging it in more often than not.
amjidkhan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nazimyounis wrote:
Hi,

can you say what price the New Go 910 will be released at? Also any idea what the TTGo 700 are worth these days..

You can get a brand new TT Go 700 for £324.99 from www.currys.co.uk using a voucher code. (CURRYS25)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
I hope the battery life is better than the ONE. I don't like having to plug it in and having wires trailing across the steering wheel (I never have been able to cope with operating it left handed!). I want to only plug it in on long journeys, but use it on battery around town or short trips. The ONE's battery life isn't really up to this. I end up plugging it in more often than not.

That was one of the cost cutting areas of the ONE. To be honest I always have all my nav systems charging in-car as its the most convenient place to do it.
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
NickG wrote:

That was one of the cost cutting areas of the ONE. To be honest I always have all my nav systems charging in-car as its the most convenient place to do it.

Plus, won't both the 510 and 910 have docking stations where they can be charged outside of the car, unlike the 300 and 700. I really think that was a great addition by TomTom.
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidHobbs wrote:
Darren wrote:
NickG wrote:

Plus, won't both the 510 and 910 have docking stations where they can be charged outside of the car, unlike the 300 and 700. I really think that was a great addition by TomTom.

I can charge my TT GO 700 perfectly fine outside the car, i have a wall charger that came with it...I know the TTGo 300 doesnt come with a wall charger, so you can only charge it whilst you in your car.

ex - TOMTOM Nokia N95
ex - TOMTOM GO 700
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 5 on XDA IIi
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA II
ex - TOMTOM Navigator 3 on XDA
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mains powered adapter that has a 12v cigarette lighter socket. Cost about £10 and is great for charging devices.
Frankamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Can you now tell us more about the TomTom 510's specs? I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the 510 or go ahead and purchase the TomTom One?

Does the 510 have text-to-speech, newer (more accurate) maps than the One, longer battery life, case included, iPod cable included. etc.

Will the One be upgradable to the new GO firmware (V.6??)?

The cost difference is about £110 - One with case and mains power supply and standard 510. The wait is sometime in May.

Is the 510 worth the wait and extra £'s?

Also, is the software compatible with a Macintosh? The One says that it is but I don't know to what extent.

I want to make an informed decision and judiciously spend my money. Functionality, reliability, and upgradability are key issues.

Thank you,

Frank

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 6 of 23

Jump to: