Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: TT910 maps Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody knows if the 910 london maps have had the many many errors removed such as right turns off of bridges, incorrect road names and directing the wrong way up one way streets and stuff like that. TomTom themselves have never bothered to reply to me about these things and have never offered an update ( for the maps ) on my 700.

The VDO Dayton I also use doesn't seem to any errors except for when a road layout has changed.

Maybe they need to buy an A to Z and hire a proofer?

Still I wouldn't be without either NAV ( or the A to Z )

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh hope they have it sorted as I am driving through London week after next! Does it warn you of the congestion charge?
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TT910 maps Reply with quote

mercsy wrote:
Just wondering if anybody knows if the 910 london maps have had the many many errors removed such as right turns off of bridges, incorrect road names and directing the wrong way up one way streets and stuff like that. TomTom themselves have never bothered to reply to me about these things and have never offered an update ( for the maps ) on my 700.

I'm sure that some (possibly most) of the previous errors have been corrected, but certainly not all of them. I have a 510 and have already reported a few, including trying to route me the wrong way down a one way street that has been that way for at least 15 years. I think they verify these, and then accumulate them ready for the next map release.

Incidentally, one of the errors I reported was a major road layout change that happened about a year ago. I checked the Navteq map on the Garmin site this morning, and they have the new layout.

PS - right turns off bridges doesn't sound good, considering that some people seem to blindly follow the navigation instructions.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS - right turns off bridges doesn't sound good, considering that some people seem to blindly follow the navigation instructions.

you sure thats such a bad thing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

who have you rported the map errors to tomtom or telelatlas they should really go to teleatlas

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a few errors in my neck of the woods and would like to report them.

Do you have an email address or a link to be used for passing the info on?

Used my 910 for the first time in anger today. I know the South East very well from/to home and just about anywhere else but had to navigate from a place NOT home, to another place AND avoid roadworks. Took me on a route I would not have normally considered. Did the job really well.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alix776"]
Quote:

who have you rported the map errors to tomtom or telelatlas? they should really go to teleatlas

Unfortunately, unless they have changed their poicy since the last time I asked them, TeleAtlas do not accept submissiond as an ov2 file, which is how I (and I assume a lot of TomTom owners) log the map errors I find.
TomTom do...
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
Quote:

you sure thats such a bad thing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hmmm. I see your point.

Quote:

who have you rported the map errors to tomtom or telelatlas they should really go to teleatlas

I reported them via the link on the TomTom site. I assume they pass the info onto TeleAtlas.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plant wrote:
Do you have an email address or a link to be used for passing the info on?

http://www.tomtom.com/support/reportmap.php
Chris32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a 910 for a little while now and I like the new voice arrangements very much. It does however have some serious problems when compared with the 500 that I used earlier.

My biggest beef is with the mounting arrangements. There is no alternative to the screen suction cup and this takes it too far away from me to see comfortably. I was able to mount the 500 on the dash using the alternative fixing.

Not only that, but the fixing now depends upon a swivelling ball joint. Compared with the well engineered two axis fixing on the 500 that could be locked up tightly and left alone, the ball joint loosens whenever the suction cup is removed from the window. This means that you have to fiddle to get the device at the right angle every time you put it into the car. Additionally, the ball joint is not nearly so firm as the old fixing so the the device is much more prone to vibrate and oscillate when traversing less than perfect road surfaces. Eventually, on poor road surfaces, the ball joint allows the unit to descend until it contacts the dash, then, if I don't do something about it, the upward pressure on the unit causes a disconnection of the power supply. If you don't notice that the power-on warning light has disappeared, then the battery runs down.

Not to put too fine a point on it, it's a dogs breakfast compared to the mounting on the 500 to the point where, if they do not do something about it I feel that I will have to return it for a refund.

I have also had navigation problems that I did not have with the 500. I have entered a number of "Favourites" using the "GPS position" option. For example, when in the car park of a pub that I want to find again. When I try to navigate back to these "Favourites" I consistently get a "Route cannot be found" error message. I assume that this is because part of the route would appear to be "off road". It did not happen with the 500 and I guess that it can be corrected in the software.

Finally, the light sensor that should dim the display and switch the device to the night display has no means of calibration. It therefore switches at times that are more related to the position of the device in the car than to the degree of darkness outside the car. Eventually it irritated me so much that I switched it off and went back to controlling the display manually. I wonder whether this problem too might be corrected in the software?

You might be interested to know that though the 910 comes with a speed camera database installed, the installed database is not nearly as accurate as the one from this site and that I have disabled it in favour of the PocketGPS product. The computer voice on the 910 works perfectly with the PocketGPS camera data base and allows the creation of your own messages for each camera type.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris32.
Just watch out for 2 cameras on the same road!
I and many others, have discovered that you will not get a warning for a second camera if there has been no navigation prompts in between cameras. If you force the navigation prompts in between cameras it works every time. The problem does not happen on the 510 leading me to believe that it's something to do with the TTS. If they sort that out I will be well chuffed.
Logged with Tom Tom.

CeeJay.
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I need some serious amount of help with the PocketGPS speed camera database.

*** HELP PLEASE *** *** PLEASE HELP ***

I think I've managed to download the cameras, using the single file of UK based cameras only. Can someone please confirm that this contains ALL types of cameras, speed related etc. If it is more comprehensive to download the individual files, please let me know and I'll add the others.

Next thing is the voices - there is a link to use different voice alerts for the cameras. Apparently, this is very very specific to the software version running. It advises to go to the change preferences and then scroll to the 'about' icon. Problem is, I can't find the 'about' icon. How can I find out what software version is being used on the 910?

Again, I wanted to use the camera notification software but I couldn't find the version details again, to make sure I uploaded the right software. I tried the 5.440 version but couldn't get it to work. Also, it talks about uploading to the root directory. Call me thick but can someone clarify where this is?

Anyway, I'd appreciate some help in setting up the camera database, voices and notification stuff.

Thank you!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I've managed to download the cameras, using the single file of UK based cameras only. Can someone please confirm that this contains ALL types of cameras, speed related etc. If it is more comprehensive to download the individual files, please let me know and I'll add the others.

Single, "All-cameras-in-one" version has ALL cameras. Other versions are sub-sets of this.

Quote:
Next thing is the voices - there is a link to use different voice alerts for the cameras. Apparently, this is very very specific to the software version running. It advises to go to the change preferences and then scroll to the 'about' icon. Problem is, I can't find the 'about' icon. How can I find out what software version is being used on the 910?

On my Go300 it is in the preferences menu and it is called "Show Version". Would have thought there will be something similar on yours.

Two points:
1 ) the voice versions for the 910 are only just beginning to be developed and may not be ready yet,
2 ) I would have thought that if you are going to go to the trouble of putting the alert voices on, you'd want the speed-zoned set of camera files, otherwise you will only be able to use one alert.

Quote:
Again, I wanted to use the camera notification software but I couldn't find the version details again, to make sure I uploaded the right software. I tried the 5.440 version but couldn't get it to work.

As above, it takes time for people to develop new versions of the add-ons (with no help from TomTom), every time a new version of software comes out. Don't be suprised that the wrong version won't work, but you may need to be patient and wait for one that does.

Quote:
Also, it talks about uploading to the root directory. Call me thick but can someone clarify where this is?

The "root directory" is the highest (or lowest, however you prefer to think of it!) level on a disk drive or memory card - ie NOT inside any folder.
For example, on your tomtom, the system files like "ttsystem" and "data.chk" are in the root, and the map files are in a folder, which itself is in the root. Simple really, but lots of people have asked that same question on these forums, so it must be a bad name.
Chris32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plant wrote:
OK, I need some serious amount of help with the PocketGPS speed camera database.

There is a forum dedicated to camera database matters. Have you tried there?
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

Chris, I'm off to find the forum!

Cheers,
plant
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've answered my own questions - it is much better to download the seperate files and then go through and add your own warnings - something like BEWARE, BROWN'S CASH MACHINE AHEAD or COMPULSORY CAREER CHANGE. IGNORE AT YOUR PERIL.

I obviously don't need to use the voice software, as the 910 has text to speech! Embarassed

I found the version by tapping the sat screen, then tapping the 'version 6.020' on the right hand side - it has all the info I need and confirms that the camera notification software is not yet compatible with the 910.

SORTED!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: