Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom & car security issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom & car security issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom & car security issues Reply with quote

Below is a quote from Tom Tom in there latest newsletter:

Quote:
Don’t leave your TomTom in the car - You wouldn’t leave your phone or your camera in the car, so why leave your TomTom? The GO and the ONE are portable devices so please try to remember to take them with you.

They seem to now admit that the ONE is a portable device & are advising us to take it with us, but they don't supply a case with it like the rest of the Go models, so come on Tom Tom get your act together & supply the case in the box. And also maybe send a voucher for the case to all existing owners.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom & car security issues Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
Below is a quote from Tom Tom in there latest newsletter:

Quote:
Don’t leave your TomTom in the car - You wouldn’t leave your phone or your camera in the car, so why leave your TomTom? The GO and the ONE are portable devices so please try to remember to take them with you.

They seem to now admit that the ONE is a portable device & are advising us to take it with us, but they don't supply a case with it like the rest of the Go models, so come on Tom Tom get your act together & supply the case in the box. And also maybe send a voucher for the case to all existing owners.

The cases TomTom supply arn't much good.

Better buy a good one from Tesco's or Jessops.

I bought a Samsonite one with hard sides and shoulder strap for £6.99. It's got soft foam inserts to protect your unit.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingernut777 wrote:

Quote:
The cases TomTom supply arn't much good.

The cases they supply for the Go models might not be much good,I don't know but they do not supply a case for the One in the box. My point being they are saying it is alright to remove your portable One from your car for security but we don't give a damm about it getting scratched.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONE is marketed as low budget navigation device. Adding a case in the box would just add to the price.
You are free to buy the TT ONE case from their website, but you can also get much cheaper protection solutions elsewhere.
This way you have a choice. Seems fair to me.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:

Quote:
The ONE is marketed as low budget navigation device

It might well be marketed as a budget model,but that is not the point. You would not buy a suitcase without a handle knowing you are going to be carrying it around with you.
It is now well highlighted that sat navs are the big target for the scum bags that are called thieves, and Tom Tom are obviously aware of this as there latest newsletter states.
And because they have not included decent security, they are pointing out to us all to remove our units from our cars, which is quite correct but in the same breath as far as the One is concerned you can get it scratched etc but we don't care. Now as far as I am concerned this is not good enough from a company that are selling one of the most desirable things for the low life of this world to think is theirs for the taking.
So as I said in my first thread TomTom get your act together.
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it is not TomTom's responsibility as to how you treat it (and whether it gets scratched). Ultimately, you own it, it is YOUR responsibility.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:

Quote:
But it is not TomTom's responsibility

I disagree, I believe it is Tom Tom's responsibilty to issue everybody that has bought a One with a case until they make sat navs with a security device so the low life of this world realise they will not be able to sell it on once they have nicked it. They are telling us to remove the sat nav from our cars, as it is a portable device but not supplying us with anything to keep it safe when not in car. The One is no different to any of the other Go models so why treat this different. The excuse that it is supposed to be a budget model that someone said earlier is rubbish, the cost of a case would be no more than £10 max.
When is Tom Tom going to do something about security in cars. If everybody just sits back and uses lame excuses like some of the above threads then we will never get Tom Tom to do anything.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom & car security issues Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:

I'm a bit confused by the statement "Theyseem to now admit....." They've always advertised the ONE as portable.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by the statement "Theyseem to now admit....." They've always advertised the ONE as portable.

Maybe I did not word it quite right, but what I was trying to put over is that maybe Tom Tom in there newsletter have realised and are admitting at last that portable sat navs are getting nicked from cars at an increasingly alarming rate because they & other companies don't have any security implemented in these devices, & are now telling us to take them with us when we leave our cars.
And because they are admitting this after the One was released, I believe they should be supplying a case for the One for the above reason.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my garmin nuvi comes with leather pouch and it fits very nice in the shirt pocket if garmin can do it surley tt can do it Wink
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I can't disagree that TomTom should provide us with some security feature (such as a power-on password), I stand by my comment - the addition of a case is only for ease of portability and to provide some protection. It is very similar to a digital camera or camcorder - you get the basics, and if you want a case you go out and buy one.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of buyers will already have a suitable case from an old camera or whatever. I'm happy for them to keep the price down and ship it without a case. When did you last buy a mobile phone that came with a case in the box? Mind you, I do object to the price they charge for the optional case.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:

Quote:
the addition of a case is only for ease of portability and to provide some protection.

I rest my CASE :D

MrGumby wrote:

Quote:
When did you last buy a mobile phone that came with a case in the box?

Since when were we talking about mobile phones? When was the last time you bought a portable sat nav (apart from the One) without a case in a box? Maybe that's why Tom Tom have called it the One because it's the only ONE without a case! :D
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom and car security issues Reply with quote

Forget the boxes - if it gets nicked (and this topic was about security) what difference does it make if it's in a pretty case or not?

We should all be screaming at TT to give the damn things a bit of security, like a passcode, so they are not so attractive to the thieves. I can't think of any reason that they haven't done something as blindingly obvious as this - except that every time one is nicked they get to sell another.

If TT made it anything like as hard on the GO as they have on the PDA to register a new device (phone call to TT customer support, then fax receipt for new device, then wait for email reply from TT - it is a nightmare!) they wouldn't be getting nicked for very long.

So it is clear that when it comes to the punter losing money TT can't do even the most basic security, but when it comes to them possibly losing software sales they can be hugely efficient. Funny that ......!!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom and car security issues Reply with quote

tedkay wrote:
Forget the boxes - if it gets nicked (and this topic was about security) what difference does it make if it's in a pretty case or not?

We should all be screaming at TT to give the damn things a bit of security, like a passcode, so they are not so attractive to the thieves. I can't think of any reason that they haven't done something as blindingly obvious as this - except that every time one is nicked they get to sell another.

If TT made it anything like as hard on the GO as they have on the PDA to register a new device (phone call to TT customer support, then fax receipt for new device, then wait for email reply from TT - it is a nightmare!) they wouldn't be getting nicked for very long.

So it is clear that when it comes to the punter losing money TT can't do even the most basic security, but when it comes to them possibly losing software sales they can be hugely efficient. Funny that ......!!

Mobile phones can have passwords on them, separately for the the sim card and the phone. They can also be registered in a database which makes them useless in the UK oncea theft is reported.

Mobile phone thefts are currently at an all time high.

So, I think you are being more than optimistic about the effect a password might have on theft.

Plus, if you think TT support is bad now, imagine it swamped with tens of thousands of idiots who lost their pasword.

tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: