Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - always on GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

always on GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caspar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: always on GPS? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm half way through installing my new navigation set-up. (I've got an IPAQ 2210, Tomtom & a Royaltek Sapphire). I've installed the mouse GPS, running the cable behind the glove box and putting a slave cigarette lighter socket behind the console. I am now waiting for my Arkon mount to come from Expansys.

However, a question has crossed my mind....

Now that my GPS is plugged into an always-on power supply, does this mean that the GPS is running even when the PDA is not plugged into it? If so, will this cause any problem with a reduced lifetime for the unit (or am I worrying unnecessarily)?

Thanks, Caspar
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: always on GPS? Reply with quote

Yes it does. Having it always on means that there won't be a 30+ second cold TTFF to wait, you can just plug the cable into your iPAQ and have an instant fix. The only problem really is that sometimes you can get spikes from the battery, in most cases it's from the alternator, it's just whether the GPS will be protected by enough fuses. Although many have done this and had it working okay, Mike tried it recently with a TFAC GPS which we reviewed here but after a few weeks, the GPS would only work intermittently. I know others have done this and not had any problems, so hopefully the TFAC we received was just faulty.
Paul Sharpe
Occasional Visitor

I have had my Emtac Bluetooth GPS receiver permamntly plugged in to my permantly live boot located power socket practically constantly for 9 months now with no problems - err, so far.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: