Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Final turn instruction given too early
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Final turn instruction given too early

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Final turn instruction given too early Reply with quote

One of the (few) things that really frustrates me about the i3 (and probably all Garmins) is that the final turn instruction seems to be given at a random distance of between about 300 yards and 1 yard before the turning in question.

On the Tom Tom, when it says 'Turn left' it does so when you are about 10 yards from the turning. Because you have been pre-warned to turn some way back you are ready for it and away you go.

On the Garmin, on a number of occasions I've turned too early at which point, of course, the Garmin starts recalculating and we go through the whole process all over again. On one occasion I ended up going in ever decreasing circles.

If it was consistent in the distance before the turn I could live with it but it seems to vary with no obvious reason. It is not speed related because on some occasions, particularly when coming off a motorway, the final instruction is given about 1 yard before the turn off and yet other times when I'm doing about 30mph I seem to get the final warning about 20 minutes before the turn comes up (well, I'm exaggerating a bit, but not much Confused ). The end reult is that I'm never quite sure which road I should actually turn on to until I've turned and don't get a 'Recalculating...' ticking off.

I thought it might be related to whether there were other turnings before the required one but it doesn't seem to be that either (hence the reason I got lost earlier).

Has anyone worked out what is going on?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Final turn instruction given too early Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
Has anyone worked out what is going on?

I think the warning is based onthe road class rather than the speed you are travelling or the distance to the turn.

So, on a motorway you are warned at 1 mile then 400 yards whereas in town you would be warned at 300 yards and then 100 yards.

The reason you get a warning right on the motorway offramp is due to the way the maps are done. The off ramp is often quite long and the actual last safe place to leave the motorway may not be accurately marked on the map (too far away, thus you don't get much warning).

Quite often, the GPS will say 300 yards and people turn after 50 yards. What you have to do is stop when the GPS says (say) 300 yards/meters from your turn and get an idea of how far 300 yards actually is.

Also, keep an eye on the countdown to next turn. When in town, 50 yards or less means "right here". On the motorway, 200 yards or less means "right here".

It just takes practice. You'll get used to it. :D
irishgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also try playing around with the settings under vehicle type
This will decrease or increase the warning time based on "assumed" speed for each vehicle

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: