Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: TomTom V6 Reply with quote

OK its only 8 weeks away before TT will start promoting their next unfinished products at Cebit (availability July...), but what will be new, but more importantly what do we want to see ?

Now TT have changed their business model from software developer to appliance development (GO Products) & service delivery (Traffic, Weather, Speedcams, maps etc etc) will there be a V6 now there are map updates?

If v6 ( I predict it will be renamed) arrives will you upgrade based on the last upgrade, or just purchase map updates?
Nemesis1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I won't be parting with my hard earned this time or ever again in fact on a TT product.

I don't think they have any idea the damage they have done to their business with the last "upgrade" farce!

TT5 was and still is IMO a disgrace. I have gone back to the streets ahead TT3 version. Their repeated put offs for all the problems tell me they don't care about the people that helped to make their success - US!

They have a lot to learn I'm afraid. The new gen products from all the major manufacturers are getting better and better. Thats where my money will be spent.

I have lost all faith in TT. And I think when 6 is launched they are in for a shock.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SpeedCam
I must admit that I am well pleased with TT5. I had TT3 before upgrading to TT5 and although I could go back to TT3 (its backed up on the Sprite Premier backup) I wouldn’t dream of doing so. I use TT5 most days in my line of work (courier) and its works just fine. It never freezes and both here and on the continent it has never let me down. However, I wouldn’t upgrade to TT6 if it was to come along, I cant see that it could be any better.

However, I do admit that I have come across a few errors on Tomtom’s mapping but I doubt that any digital mapping will ever be 100% perfect. And even when I have come across errors it has still got me to the address that I have had to visit. Yes, maps are the important thing. Looking back there was no need for Tomtom to bring out TT5 it was accurate upto-date maps that the users wanted then, and its accurate upto-date maps that users will want in the future. No need for another version of Tomtom.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
argosafe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides of this thread, but in my opinion, IF the software, support and technical instructions were any good, then there would be little need for this forum. I would not purchase Tom Tom again, and if it were not the fact that my previous Navman would not do 3D mapping, I doubt I would have used TT anyway.

HOWEVER, with the help this forum has given me in reparing the software, and its speed camear database etc, my TTN 5 serves me well. :D
IPAQ 4700
Globalsat Bt 338
Globalsat 337 CF reciever
Navman sleeve
256Mb Kingston CF Card
Lexar 512Mb card
Toshiba 1Gb SD card
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do like tt ,but i do know this time i wont be running out to buy the update as i have only just got my version running properly as of the new update which should really have been the new tt5 not the crap they gave us to start with ,and also they still have a lot of issues with this version to sort out let alone bringing out a new version ..or they can be like microsoft if it's no good we can always bring out a new version to satisfy the customers
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when the next version comes out, I will reveiw the situation. For the Palm user, there isn't a great deal of choice, with Tom Tom possibly being the best there is out there.

However, with version 5.201, it now works ok on the Treo 650. As mentioned above, what I want is maps that are as up to date as possible.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah up to date maps would be nice , i still get issues going back to tt2 with maps faults
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been using ttn since ttn was released for the palm - v4, & some of the map errors are still the same. Probably Tom Tom rather than teleatlas, as when I saw teleatlas at the recent meet, the errors I had they knew about - it's just tom tom who haven't updated their maps.
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming TT do release a V6 for PDAs, I won't be taking this site's review as 'gospel' after the infamous 97.5% score given to the unfinished, buggy and shoddy TT5.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt that I will get the V6 upgrade when it becomes available, Unless they Provide maps that are not over 5 years out of date, And don't remove features that we want and add features we'll never use,

I started out on TTN3 and was happy with it apart from the maps being out of date,

TTN5 was to me a major step backwards, I hated the new look, The loss of features and maps that were still out of date (And even had more error's in them),

I still to this day prefer V3 but I doubt that V3 would work on my phone, So I'm stuck with V5,

Some of the things that would make me decide to get V6 are:

Adjustable road speeds for routing,
Larger display of the speed,
Easier way to avoid roads (Remember roads already set to avoid),
Ability to create log files again,
Accurate maps,
Accurate POI's,

These are just some of the things that spring to mind,

Carl,
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly after all the hassle I've had with TT5 I think I would try a "trial" version before I'd part with my cash again!

I prefer TT5 to TT3 but unfortunately it just can't keep up when on the move, particularly when you really need it in cities, and the drivers for other, non TT supplied, CF GPSs are crap resulting in long periods of no position when it is lost, sometimes having to stop until a position is obtained.

I think TT see their market in dedicated Navigation devices such as GO and rider, competing with Garmin and the like, hence the reason why we PDA users don't see as much support as we used to. Writing SW for the PDA market is obviously not commercially viable for them, especially with all the slight differences and niggles between the different manufacturers devices.

Bob
treborvfr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite frankly after all the hassle I've had with TT5 I think I would try a "trial" version before I'd part with my cash again!

I prefer TT5 to TT3 but unfortunately it just can't keep up when on the move, particularly when you really need it in cities, and the drivers for other, non TT supplied, CF GPSs are crap resulting in long periods of no position when it is lost, sometimes having to stop until a position is obtained.

I think TT see their market in dedicated Navigation devices such as GO and rider, competing with Garmin and the like, hence the reason why we PDA users don't see as much support as we used to. Writing SW for the PDA market is obviously not commercially viable for them, especially with all the slight differences and niggles between the different manufacturers devices.

Bob
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TT is going the other way. The new ONE is a WinCE device so may be ditching Linux.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schneid wrote:
I think TT is going the other way. The new ONE is a WinCE device so may be ditching Linux.

That's incorrect, it's Linux based just like the RIDER and GO units.
cliffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes agree will not be adding anymore tt upgrades or further waste of ££££££`s on new product from tomtom

Will look at all the other good software out there me thinks maybe copilot..
Gun Shoot Out to tomtom

Cliff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: