Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best System for Northern Ireland?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best System for Northern Ireland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Best System for Northern Ireland? Reply with quote

I have a friend who is a GP and does a lot of house calls in the wilds of east Antrim, Northern Ireland and after showing her my Navigon MobileNavigator 5.2 system she was hooked and wants to get one herself.

Not being particularly technically minded I think she wants an all in one solution - but which one?

I think the best option is something that uses Navteq maps as the tomtom coverage over here in NI is very poor. The Navteq maps on my MN 5.2 seem to cover the whole of Northern Ireland and are pretty good, but what other devices use them? - or is there any other better maps.

My friend has access to a PC and can upgrade etc via the internet.

Can anyone recommend a system and a good supplier?

thanks in advance

Ian
garminc310
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: navtec maps. Reply with quote

Try the GARMIN C310, from Halfords £299.99.
Excellent portable style machine which has no protruding antennae or receiver.You are able to download the speed cameras etc from pocketgpsworld, which is free at the moment.

Coverage of the maps is excellent both north and south. So why not go along to Halfords for a free demo.
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spooky - I was actually in Halfords yesterday looking at this very Garmin - It does have the Navteq maps and the coverage in the north is almost 100% (no house numbers though) while in the ROI the coverage is about 40% with all National and Regional Routes covered and a fair few of the minor roads.
garminc310
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Garmin c310 Reply with quote

I've had my Garmin C310 for a couple of weeks now. Your friend might be interested that if you plot a course to an address you are invited to put in the house number, so at the end of the journey the destination flag, will appear to let you know you are approaching your destination and if your address is on the left or right. Once at the house number it says arrival at destination.In practice i've found this to be accurate with up to +/- 10 feet in closely packed streets.Any system is going to have this inaccuracy, so instead of the house number displayed on the map use the flag as your poi, and you shouldn't be far wrong.
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you live in Northern Ireland too? - as I think it's onlyl here that doesn't have house number information but in GB it's fine
garminc310
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Garmin c310 Reply with quote

of course.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: