Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Idiots Guide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Idiots Guide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
forumhound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Idiots Guide Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a site that includes an idiots guide to scanning maps for use in MM. Anybody know of one ??

Thanks

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Idiots Guide Reply with quote

Best thing is to talk to Mike here, he'll be able to put you straight as he's our topo scanning master!
forumhound
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for that.. I'll have another bash at it myself, then contact him if I fail miserably..

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PLEASE DONT ASK ME!!!

MM is not really designed for scanning and calibrating your own maps. I tried calibrating a couple of maps and failed. The latest software upgrade for Navigator has calibration built in, but again I was never able to get that to work properly.

Your best bet if you have a lot of maps you need to calibrate and use is to move to another software package that does support both the calibration and the use of multiple datums and projections. Examples are: Oziexplorer and Fugawi (not UK).
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Quote: Originally posted by forumhound on 09 August 2003

I'm trying to find a site that includes an idiots guide to scanning maps for use in MM. Anybody know of one ??

Thanks

There is a Technical Support bulletin covering self scanning of maps see here

I have successfully used a scanned map in an earlier version of Navigator, but I have not tried recently.

Richard
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Oldie,

That was the document that I was working from, problem is that there is no easy facility to enter accurate information.

Did you find your map accurate? If you did you were lucky that the calibration routine used the same map projection as your scanned map.

With the latest release of Navigator it is supposed to be easier, but I still had difficulty calibrating.

At the end of the day Memory Map does not have the tools to calibrate maps properly. As I said in my earlier post Ozi or Fugawi are best for easy and reliable scanned map calibration. I have achieved very high precision calibration by being able to calibrate points that I have not visited before in both of these applications. Both in the UK and for Swiss and Italian maps which use different grid systems and map projections.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

MikeB,

I have just had a look at my scanned map. It was from one of my 1:25,000 scale OS maps, and a track taken from my Garmin eTrex Legend overlays on it quite well. The track is slightly different from that shown on the MM 1:50,000 scale map of the same area, but not by a constant amount.

I agree with you, it is not easy to do and I would not like to try other grid systems. Having said that I am thinking of taking a holiday in New Zealand - what are my chances of getting any detailed maps for my PC or PDA? At the moment I have the Garmin World Map, which is better than nothing (just).

Richard
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Richard,

Well if you go over to the Yahoo OziExplorer group you may find some maps there.

You can find them at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L/

Otherwise you could buy some paper maps and scan and calibrate them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: