Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 2 & PPC2003 SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 2 & PPC2003 SD Card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Destinator 2 & PPC2003 SD Card Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to install maps onto the SD Card on the ipaq H2210, which seems to have renamed the "Storage Card" device to "SD Card" - I think this might be why Destinator cant find the "Storage Card" when you try to install it from the setup.

I have tried copying the files manually which worked on the H3970, (which had "Storage Card" device) but Destinator doesnt seem to know where to look. Very frustrating as the maps I need to load are over 40MB and I have two 256MB cards. I have installed using the Activesync 3.7 patch.

Any help is much appreciated.

jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Destinator 2 & PPC2003 SD Card Reply with quote

If you do find out I would love to know. A friend loaded my maps on my CF card using a card reader. I think your problem could be Active Sync 3.7 - Powerloc say this doesn't work, I could not even install the s/w using 3.7, let alone the maps, the installer simply does not see the device, let alone the storage card.
bwad
Occasional Visitor

Yeah I had to install onto my device (Pocket PC 2003 software) using their activesync patch as it was saying it didnt recognise the processor type.

Anyway this is not the problem, as even if I put the maps onto the SD card manually, the destinator software doesnt know to look there. On an old ipaq (38xx series) it searched "Storage Card" for a folder called PowerLOC and if there were maps there it would pick them up.

So I think the whole problem is we need to find out how to point the program on the ipaq to the SD Card device which has been renamed on my new ipaq from Storage Card on the old device.

I'm sure i'm not the only one with this problem?

jellied
Regular Visitor

I had heard they had all sorts of problems with PPC2003 - I am surprised the program works at all. My 5450 arrived today, so I am sure I will find out soon the same problems you have faced (though it run 2002 by all accounts).

Powerloc support normally answer - it just takes some time. Let me know how you get on (DJE)
bwad
Occasional Visitor

Right I've fixed it... I dont think you'll have a problem on the H5450 because that uses PPC 2002.

The trick seems to be that Destinator searches for a folder called "Storage Card" as I suspected. I had to use a registry editor to search for all references to "SD Card" and rename them to "Storage Card" - and then it worked fine.

Actually I think I only needed to change one entry, the one that had the key name of "Folder" (I cant remember the exact key)

This would be so much nicer if the software just had an option to select the location to search in the software or even in a .ini file.

Now working fine, got the whole of Australia loaded on a 256MB card with room to spare!
jellied
Regular Visitor

Result! I have not tried it myself yet, as I don't have the cable to connect my 5450 to my eTrex.

When you say you changed a reg. entry - can I ask where? On the PC I presume ? Sorry to be dim, I am more a UNIX person than Windows.
bwad
Occasional Visitor

Hi jellied, no on the actual pocket pc you can download free registry editors and you need to change it on the actual pocket pc.

good luck
CoRCoVaDo
Occasional Visitor

The patch for compatibility SD Card - CF Card is here

jellied
Regular Visitor

Oddly enough it found the SD card and happily installed the maps without the patch on my 5450. Now it insists on using a bluetooth connection...
Steve9R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bwad... (I know this is a really old thread), but have you had any other problems with the Ipaq 2200 with Destinator 2 ?

With mine i have major issues with screen redraws when you have it set in 'rotate map to up' mode, esp. when going around corners.. 15-30secs delay..

and Getting GPS fixes can take anywhere from 3-10mins...

how well does yours work ?

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have two different problems at heart here. The screen redraws could be to a damaged or badly made SD card as this can slow down map reading and affect screen draw, but it wouldn't affect getting a fix, this would be down to your GPS Receiver.
Steve9R
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought of that as well (although I use a CF not an SD card)..

Ive got another 2 x 256mb CF's here that ive just loaded the maps on to try tomorrow..

re the gps antenna.. I actually bought 2 x destinator packs, one for the 2210 and one for a 3800 ipaq.. they both come with the exact same serial antenna.. so i swaped them over.. instant fix on both aerials on the 3800... but same problem with both on the 2210...

so i dont believe its an antenna problem... Im hoping that maybe the CF card may be the problem altogether... (hoping).. buti doubt it too, because the program shouldnt rely on the map data to get a fix...

Steve
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the PPC cannot stop you getting a fix. The satellite acquisition is done from within the GPS, so if you aren't getting a fix, or you are getting a delayed fix it's because either you are having a power problem with the GPS and a dodgy cable to the GPS (if it's a cabled mouse), or the GPS has lost it's almanac (dodgy backup battery) or you don't have an unobstructive view of the sky.

The easiest way is to install WinFast Navigator and run some diagnostics. It may be Destinator which is at fault and it's not acting on the data it's receiving through the COM port. Esp if the PPC is going slow it maybe missing chunks of data, but there's no way a storage card can delay a GPS signal as the GPS is doing all the work. Only exception there is a GPS that doesn't have it's own processor like a RoyalTek RFG-1000 or a Pretec LP which do rely on the PPC processor to do the maths.

If it's only happening on the 2210 then you may have a dodgy connector on the PPC end, or a bent pin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: