Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver - Available Argos Mid Aug06
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver - Available Argos Mid Aug06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver - Available Argos Mid Aug06 Reply with quote

The TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is reportedly due in Argos stores mid August. Has anyone out there been involved in beta testing this device? It seems a great idea but if it's anything like the GPRS version have grave doubts. Sad

I tried to use the TT Traffic system, via a mobile, and it failed to be reliable. I tried to use the traffic on a PDA TT Nav and that also was unreliable.

Explainations have been offered, from non TT employees in the forums for the issues, but non from TT. Latency due to mobile caching, TT server caching, perodic updating. The explainations also pointed towards it unreliablity.

Following the PGPSW show in Edinburgh, earlier this year, I was even contacted by a TT employee, to whom who I gave many details. Dates times, locations, SW versions etc. That contact was in June, as of today 8/8/06 I have no update or reponse to these issues. What a surprise!? Wink

Any real life experience of the receiver would be great. At nearly £70 its not a cheap toy. (too many beer vouchers involved!)

Thanks.
SatMap
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the TT employeee was Kenneth Refsgaard.
SatMap
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due into the Argos warehouse 12/8, should be available in stores 13th or 14th.

This date has been confirmed by both TomTom & Argos
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or apparently not.

It's now the 15th and no sign of a TT TMC receiver in Argos, nor anywhere else for that matter.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Argos catalogue number for the TomTom TMC Receiver is 740/1482.

If you wish to check whether Argos have it in stock, then click here.

BTW that's not my Post Code! ;)

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with Argos yesterday, and they have not received these units, from what I was being told it appears that Argos are as fed up as we are. The lady I was speaking to read out a list of failed orders/deliveries from TomTom going back six weeks.

Not good . . .
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post on another Sat Nav forum (yournav.com) is reporting the estimated shipping date for the TT TMC receiver to now be around the end of September.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, end of September or October is what TT confirmed to me. However, unless TT can get it's existing traffic service more reliable, it would be a complete waste of money. Over just two days of logging, I found 4 major errors with TT TRaffic advice. If I'd taken the TTT recalculated routes, I would have addred over 9 hours to my journeys over this time.

I've fed this back to TT and if any of you guys have similar experiences, jot them down and raise them as a support log with TT.

Cheers ... Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the receiver on the TT website ( http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories.php?Product=211&Context=1&Language=1 ), technical information about it is unforgiveably non-existent. There are two issues that occur to me (based on my experience of using Navigon's TMC kit)...

1 - As the TT kit comprises its own receiver, perhaps it does not offer the capability of being patched into the your car's radio antenna. If so, as it is mounted internally within the car, then it may be as useless at picking up a signal as the bit of wire that is supplied with Navigon's TMC-enabled devices. This problem might be further compounded ...

2 - ... if the only signal the TT receiver will pick up is that of Classic FM. There are, of course, lots of stations now broadcasting TMC signals but they seem to use a different signalling protocol which my Navigon kit can't decode.

Can anyone shed any light, please?

--

Many thanks!

Dave
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i have posted over in the TomTom navigator forum...

Quote:

I am sure they can add some sort of info collection to TomTom so that if the vehicle is moving at an average speed significantly slower than the roads speed limit then this info can be sent up the gprs call back to their servers, then if enough reports come in for that area, then boom, update the data so that tomtom receives a traffic update. Could that work?

Then there wouldnt be any need for TMC.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milesey wrote:
Yes, end of September or October is what TT confirmed to me. However, unless TT can get it's existing traffic service more reliable, it would be a complete waste of money.

That is my information also. However th data source will still be iTIS who until recently held a monopoly on TMC data. RAC/Trafficmaster now offer an alternative but the choice of which to use is made by the manufacturer and not the end user.

My experience of TMC has varied, this bank holiday weekend it saved me from a 2hr delay but on other occasions I have ignored it and found no delay despite one being reported. It's not a perfect system but then the other European countries have the same issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: