Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 2 & active sync 3.7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 2 & active sync 3.7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Destinator 2 & active sync 3.7 Reply with quote

Had to do a hard reset on my iPAQ 3660 and now cannot reload Destinator. Since buying it originally I have changed to XP and active sync. 3.7 so that might be the cause.

There are two patches on their website, though neither work, the installer still reports it cannot find a mobile device.

Powerloc have yet to come back - so I wondered if anyone has had any exp. and ideally any solutions to this.
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Destinator 2 & active sync 3.7 Reply with quote

They have replied - and admit that active sync. 3.7 is the culprit. They say they have a link to download older versions - but it would have been nice know before hand given how long the new version has been out.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

So there's no patch for using ActiveSync 3.7 ?
jellied
Regular Visitor

It would appear not - I have just checked and they have not posted a copy of Active sync 3.6 as they promised.

The two duff. patches are still there, but even if they worked you are still stuck as you only know the version number of software when you install it, and you can't install it until you load the correct patch.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

3.6 doesn't seem to be available for download - though I still have the 3.6 build 2148 installer available if you want it.

To be honest, 3.6 offers very little over 3.5 apart from compatibility with SmartPhone 2002 (such as is used with the Orange SPV). It also has broken USB drivers for Windows 2000 that can lead to BSODs, usually when unplugging the Pocket PC.

If you really want 3.6, reply and I'll email it to you. Alternatively you can download 3.5 (which is OK with Office XP and Windows XP according to the blurb) from the Microsoft site here.

David
jellied
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the offer - most kind. As it happens some one had a copy installed at work and I managed to re-load Destinator. I still feel the need to blame some one, not sure if it's Powerloc for not testing or advising people on 3.7, or MS for changing something in Active Sync.

I am certainly feel put-off upgrading my old 3660 though, looking at other notice boards some people are having awful trouble with the higher spec. models and PPC2003.
jellied
Regular Visitor

Thanks for that - al works fine now (using PPC2002 and your link activesync 3.5) - now it won't see the Garmin, it insists on trying to find a Bluetooth device

jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5 link is broken - but here is the 3.6 link.

However after upgrading the 5450 to Wm2003 D2 installer can see the device but reports "Unknown device processor type 2577 or OS(3220))

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/wce/downloads/acsync36.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/wce/downloads/acsync36.asp

[url][/url]
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ActiveSync 3.7 is the minimum version that works with Pocket PC 2003 - earlier versions are incompatible.

You must upgrade to 3.7 - though avoiding 3.7.1 is probably a good idea, as many programs that communicate via ActiveSync don't work properly with 3.7.1. In 3.7.1, Microsoft made some changes to RAPI, the communication protocol that these programs use to work via ActiveSync. There were some common tricks used to get older RAPI implementations to do things they weren't designed to - these were never sanctioned by Microsoft and they no longer work with ActiveSync 3.7.1. A lot of software hasn't yet been fixed to work with 3.7.1.

There is, unfortunately, other software out there that doesn't work that well with 3.7, let alone 3.7.1. If Destinator 2 falls into that category and you can't find a patch, you're stuck. The error you post strongly indicates that the version of Destinator 2 you have is not Pocket PC 2003 compatible anyway - the core OS version in Pocket PC 2003 has changed from Windows CE 3.0 to Windows CE 4.2. I don't know whether there is a Pocket PC 2003 compatible version of Destinator 2.

If necessary, you should be able to use the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade kit to downgrade the iPAQ to Pocket PC 2002 until you can sort out Pocket PC 2003 compatible software.

David
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D2 has come back to life - there is a patch on the PowerLOC website, though it is not clear which one to use without a little detective work. I have an awful feeling about upgrading to D3 - but for the time being I will stick with what I have.

Thanks for your help.
Spike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Activesync 3.7 & Destinator & Memory Map! Reply with quote

It seems that there are issues with Activesync 3.7 as I have had problems with Memory Map Navigator when I tried to load it onto my new Laptop, after much "f'ing & Blinding" I managed to speak to a support person at Memory Map, he confirmed that the problem lies with Activesync3.7 and it appears that this is also true with Destinator, Good 'ole Microsoft!!!! Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you absolutely sure that the issue with your software is with 3.7, and not with 3.7.1?

Compatibility issues with 3.7.1 are a fairly well known phenomenon. Between 3.7 and 3.7.1, Microsoft made various changes to RAPI, the interface that various programs use to communicate via ActiveSync. More details can be found in this thread.

As for "Good 'ole Microsoft" - the 3.7 to 3.7.1 breakages were down to software developers using common but unofficial tricks to make RAPI do things it wasn't designed to. Any software developer should know that any time you deviate from the published Application Programming Interface for any code, there's a risk that future changes will break your code. Microsoft enhanced RAPI in ActiveSync 3.7.1, but these enhancements broke the unofficial tricks.

David
Spike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Activesync 3.7 Reply with quote

Hi David,

Yes, the version I have is 3.7 loaded with PC2002 on a fujitsu Loox, I take your point about code "fudges" I wasn't aware that this was the problem, merely re-iterating what the chap in MM support had told me!
MM obviously have a fix because MM2004 works (which is what their solution was for me!) It would appear that they are not wishing to do more work on older versions of the software, to fix the problem there. Apparently, the new version of MM2004 requires new maps if you are using OS maps (something to do with OS wanting to sell more! rather than MM wanting to make more money! However, they seem to have a coice to make, either fix the problem (3.7 / MM navigator) or have some right pee'd off customers.

Take care

Spike. Thumbs Up
Spike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Activesync 3.7 Reply with quote

Hi David,

Yes, the version I have is 3.7 loaded with PC2002 on a fujitsu Loox, I take your point about code "fudges" I wasn't aware that this was the problem, merely re-iterating what the chap in MM support had told me!
MM obviously have a fix because MM2004 works (which is what their solution was for me!) It would appear that they are not wishing to do more work on older versions of the software, to fix the problem there. Apparently, the new version of MM2004 requires new maps if you are using OS maps (something to do with OS wanting to sell more! rather than MM wanting to make more money! However, they seem to have a coice to make, either fix the problem (3.7 / MM navigator) or have some right pee'd off customers.

Take care

Spike. Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure - I can only take your report as a "real world" experience.

3.7 did have some changes - though not as significant as the changes between 3.7 and 3.7.1. The big problem is that 3.7 is the lowest version that supports Pocket PC 2003 (and SmartPhone 2003).

As a result, any software that's incompatible with 3.7 is, by definition, incompatible with Pocket PC 2003.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: