Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion unit at Aldi - 17th Nov
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion unit at Aldi - 17th Nov
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowz wrote:
Hello thankyou for the info, so if it's a Mio168 re-brand will this be ok for me to put Tomtom software on and the Speed cameras or would it be better for me to forget this at aldi and go to the sponsors and get a new Mio168 off them Question

As PocketGPS answered, it's NOT a Mio168. It's a dedicated GPS and access to the underlying OS which is probably WinCE rather than PocketPC may be limited or impossible.
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 95900. The same model as I bought for £230 a few months back.

Access to the OS is possible, but as Darren said it is WinCE based and does not have the full complement of pocketPC stuff. Therefore getting other software to run on it is difficult at best.

You can add speedcameras though easily enough with the third-party POIwarner plug-in.
Hooloovoo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add..... I'm happy enough with mine as a car SatNav but I'm a little dissapointed with it's ability to run other software. I wanted to get BeelineGPS running, but have only been partly successful in that task.

I'm a little worried about map updates.... mine had just started complaining that the maps are over a year old and Ive no idea where to get updates since Medion are no help.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any body interested in purchasing this Aldi offer, lets get one thing straight. The unit on offer is a dedicated GPS unit, it design and workings are intended only for the use it's been designed for, it's NOT a Pocket PC (PDA).

So don't expect to able to load anything on to it, the only program that has been designed to work with it is called POI-Warner, which is used for adding your own POI's (points of interest - eg - Safety Cameras etc). And will cost about 30 Euro's.
Shadowz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise because I got the number mixed up [newby here].

Thanks for the information, is now up to us whever to choose one of aldi's tomorrow or maybe a Mio168 but I don't really have a need for a PDA got my laptop here, so for the reviews that the medion has got and the price then it seems a fair enough price and thanks for replying back Hooloo saying we can put the speedcameras on, that will do for me as long as the Maps are good to Smile
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Garmin i3 is £50 cheaper, comes with ful UK (and major Europe Road) mapping and POI loader is free.

Garmin's customer care is excellent - you can speak to a person usually within a few minutes.

Happy with mine.
BlueCharger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Aldi's Medion Reply with quote

Shadowz wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
Shadowz wrote:
For £220.00 this Medion has got to be worth it Question
So if it is the MD95000 I shall be buying one this Thursday, it's either this or the Acer n35.

It's not a MD95000 (Mio168 re-brand). The image shows a dedicated gps unit, not a PDA type unit.

Hello thankyou for the info, so if it's a Mio168 re-brand will this be ok for me to put Tomtom software on and the Speed cameras or would it be better for me to forget this at aldi and go to the sponsors and get a new Mio168 off them Question

No it's NOT the 95900 nor is it the 95000 Sad

It's a 96800 with Navigon ver 5.1 The lay-out is a lot differant to the 95900, with a few extras.
My 95900 developed a problem, a minor one, but this being on offer it saved me having the hassel with Medion & their nil-responce, I even got a brand new 12 month warranty.

I now need help! Can anyone give sound advice for the POI Warner install on this? Confused
AAH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Medion PNA 150 has tried to take me down bridleways before and Medion products are best left alone. I invested a couple of extra bob and bought a TomTom Go 300. Superb.
pharmamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Bridleway problem Reply with quote

AAH, if it's tried to take you down a bridleway have a look at your route settings. Are you sure you haven't got it set up for pedestrian or bicycle routes? I don't know what the options are for your Medion, but my PNA175 allows me to choose pedestrian and bicycle routes and I find that a handy option when I'm not driving.

Mike
selwynforster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
continuing with the 96800 theme, Question has any body come up with an antiglare system, I find in full sunlight, even though I'm in the car, its difficult to read the screen?

TTFN,

Selwyn Confused
sabre2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
For any body interested in purchasing this Aldi offer, lets get one thing straight. The unit on offer is a dedicated GPS unit, it design and workings are intended only for the use it's been designed for, it's NOT a Pocket PC (PDA).

So don't expect to able to load anything on to it, the only program that has been designed to work with it is called POI-Warner, which is used for adding your own POI's (points of interest - eg - Safety Cameras etc). And will cost about 30 Euro's.

Hi

For those that have bought the unit, you might be interested to know that following the widely available instructions on other web sites, the PNA250 can be persuaded to show a start bar and load up any number of other programs. So far I have OziCE and a rather better MP3 player on mine. Which is nice.

John
BlueCharger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabre2 wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:

Hi

For those that have bought the unit, you might be interested to know that following the widely available instructions on other web sites, the PNA250 can be persuaded to show a start bar and load up any number of other programs. So far I have OziCE and a rather better MP3 player on mine. Which is nice.

John

Hi, John
Is there any chance you could pass on this info? re So far I have OziCE and a rather better MP3 player on mine. Though you mention PNA250! Are we still talking about the Medion MD96800? Question

Can you John or anyone inform me as wether or not I'm able to install the POI-Warner on MD96800 having paid for the subscription for the MD96500? Arrow This the unit 96500 developed a problem of not giving map info or just wouldn't folow the updated route as travel progressed.

Question Anybody else had the experiance of using Maps of USA, where the direction arrow would show and move as expected BUT without the map showing atall??? That was a Big Rip-Off buying those maps.
NOT one of them worked. {Thanks a bunch S Bone} Twisted Evil
sabre2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueCharger wrote:

Can you John or anyone inform me as wether or not I'm able to install the POI-Warner on MD96800

Saw the other thread 1st; have replied there.

John
stukno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A close relative has just bought this unit based on my experiences with the Pdna100, which I have had for quite a while and works well for me.

Q1) Has anyone found a way to just have the scrolling map view displayed when not actually navigating anywhere. I can do this with my unit and its a useful means of seeing approaching POIS (sp cams!)

Q2) I have also tried to equip the 96800 with POI Warner. I have all of the software on my computer set up for the pdna100.

When I tried to upload the programme into the 96800, I got the 'load successful' screen, but POI warner doesn't seem to be working and the sp cams are not visible on the map.

I gather that the operating systems on these two units are different?
How do you know with the 96800 that POI Warner is loaded- where can you 'see' the programme?

I am willing to download another version of Warner if necessary. Won't it just 'overwrite the existing programme on the hard drive? How can I stop this happening?

Appreciate any assistance or suggestions
regards,
Stu Knowles
sabre2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stukno wrote:
A close relative has just bought this unit based on my experiences with the Pdna100, which I have had for quite a while and works well for me.

Q1) Has anyone found a way to just have the scrolling map view displayed when not actually navigating anywhere. I can do this with my unit and its a useful means of seeing approaching POIS (sp cams!)

IIRC, hit 'show map' and it shows you where you are going. I tried this the other day, for precisely the reason you mention, and it works fine.

stukno wrote:

Q2) I have also tried to equip the 96800 with POI Warner. I have all of the software on my computer set up for the pdna100.

When I tried to upload the programme into the 96800, I got the 'load successful' screen, but POI warner doesn't seem to be working and the sp cams are not visible on the map.

I gather that the operating systems on these two units are different?
How do you know with the 96800 that POI Warner is loaded- where can you 'see' the programme?

Yes, I was a bit puzzled about that as well. No doubt it's mentioned in the manual somewhere, but who reads manuals? There's a little green blob at the bottom right hand corner of the screen - tap that and you can select poi-warner.

There's a bit more to setting up speed cameras than poi-warner. You have to get hold of the speed camera locations and import those, then actually tell poi-warner to monitor them. The speed cameras (and many other pois (psoi?)) are available from a website that's amply linked from poi-warner (but I can't recall the URL).

This assumes you've got the right version of poi-warner, of course.

While you're hacking, follow the widely available instructions for getting a 'start-bar' up, and have a look at some of the other software that's available. There'll hopefully be GPS Speed Sentry available shortly - it's in what you might call 'beta' ATM, and works very well.

Regards
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: