Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 6 Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 6 Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

well i get my CoPilot Live 6 tomorrow, i currently have a O2 XDA Exec/SPV M5000/MDA Pro/ HTC Universal, it runs using the new Windows Mobile 5.0 and runs in portrait and landscape mode. So i can test out the "new" features in CoPilot Live 6

As PocketGPSWorld are going to test the product for a week and then write a review, i will write a short review on installation and initial thoughts on the running of the application, for those who cant wait. at the weekend i have a long drive ahead of me, so i will be able to see how the new copilot fares.
Anyway, check back tomorrow for my initial thoughts...
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this an upgrade, or a new purchase? Only I'm still waiting for them to contact me about my upgrade request.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
elmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i should of stated that, its a new purchase, that i brought from www.eurosimm.com[/ul]
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

elmo wrote:
well i get my CoPilot Live 6 tomorrow, ..., i will write a short review on installation and initial thoughts on the running of the application, for those who cant wait. ...

You have my full attention Elmo, and that of hundreds of others I think.

Thanks, looking forward to your findings.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

Welcome elmo

elmo wrote:
well i get my CoPilot Live 6 tomorrow...

Cool, I think you will be one of the first to get the new version (and to be allowed to talk about it). There are a lot of people here who would be interested to see if the long standing bugs in CP5 have been fixed. Many of them weren't immediately apparent but they come to light after you have used the program for a while.

If you have a bit of time then here is a summary of the problems in CP5 for you to compare with CP6.

There are consistent problems with the routing in CP5:

The "Quickest" route gives routes like this:

London to Dublin (Routed hundreds of miles away via Scotland/Belfast when the quickest is via Holyhead)
Southampton to Hastings (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the south coast)
M40 Junction 9 to M3 Junction 9 (Routed via the M25 when the quickest is via the A34)

The "Shortest" route (ignores minor roads in favour of major ones) and doesn't actually give the shortest route.

There are other problems which are not always easy to reproduce in CP5, it may take 10 or 15 hours of driving to determine if they still exist:

Sporadic lack of POI announcements
Sporadic lack of turn announcements
Track log doesn't always get saved
Hanging after recalculating routes several times

A good way to reproduce the hanging problem is by routing somewhere a few hundred miles away and then driving in the opposite direction for 30 minutes or more. This will cause it to recalculate multiple times and CP5 will crash after recalculating a number of times.

Traffic reporting has been promised again, we are still waiting for it for CP5.

Good luck! Thumbs Up
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
London to Dublin (Routed hundreds of miles away via Scotland/Belfast when the quickest is via Holyhead)

That's because it seems to treat ferry routes as a road speed of 5 mph, rather than (say) 40 minutes delay, followed by a 20 mph trip, followed by a 15 minute delay. Calculations are fine for short trips, such as the Isle of Wight ferry, but not for long trips.

Does the map data provide enough information to identify delay-points for loading/unloading? And how would it categorise the same sea route to (say) Jersey, which could be made by fast catameran or slow steamer, with many hours different in elapsed time? Given that nobody would leave the choice of ferry to their PDA, I don't see this as a major problem.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
That's because it seems to treat ferry routes as a road speed of 5 mph, rather than (say) 40 minutes delay, followed by a 20 mph trip, followed by a 15 minute delay. Calculations are fine for short trips, such as the Isle of Wight ferry, but not for long trips.

You are right about the way it treats ferries, but this is not the cause of the bizzare routing. The proof of this is that adding a via point at Holyhead makes it find a route which is both quicker and shorter than the Belfast route.

Quote:
Given that nobody would leave the choice of ferry to their PDA, I don't see this as a major problem.

Quite true. My point is that it is a dramatic example of the buggy routing algorithm. There are many other examples which don't involve ferries.

Basically, the problem is that if it can find a route using motorways then it will pick this as the fastest route without considering any other road types. The reality is often that a non-motorway road will get you there a lot quicker, but it doesn't even bother to check once it has found a motorway route.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
... adding a via point at Holyhead makes it find a route which is both quicker and shorter than the Belfast route.

According to CP5 desktop, the route via Scotland takes 17:42, while the route via Holyhead taks 19:01. That's why it chose Scotland.

The longer ferry crossing added many hours, because of the very slow speed used.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot 6 Review Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
Skippy wrote:
... adding a via point at Holyhead makes it find a route which is both quicker and shorter than the Belfast route.

According to CP5 desktop, the route via Scotland takes 17:42, while the route via Holyhead taks 19:01. That's why it chose Scotland.

The longer ferry crossing added many hours, because of the very slow speed used.

Hmmm, if the drive from London to Holyhead takes about 5 hours, then this calculation presumes that the ferry would take 14 hours. Confused

In fact, Holyhead to Dublin is about 70 miles on the ferry and takes 2 to 4 hours depending on the ship. (Plus loading and unloading time but we can presume that load/unload time is the same for both ports).

You must have changed your ferry speeds to something odd like 5 mph. A typical speed for a car ferry is between 20 and 40 mph. Try setting the ferry speed to something a bit more realistic and see what results the calculation gives. Wink

Good luck! Thumbs Up
elmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: short 1st review Reply with quote

well guys, i finally recieved my CP6 and i have to say so far im impressed, i havent had CP5 to compare it to, but ive had a look at some of the bugs that u guys should have been fixed, after writing this, i will route it and see my finding, but i have used it for a 30mins drive.

Now the initial opening box, it was all compacted into a small box, and makes it an overall snug fit. which is a good thing, i pulled out the GPS reciever and was surprised by the overall size of it, i thought it was a battery when i first pulled it out. As you all no it comes with the program, pre installed on an SD card, little did i no it was on a MiniSD card, and comes with an SD adapter card. The vent cradle for the GPS was pretty nifty, but when the GPS is in it, it rolls around abit. but it can be fixed.

Now the installation side of things, was bloody easy if i do say so myself, i had to activate it via ActiveSync, but it was sooooo easy, i was up and running in 7mins.

The finding of the 1st sat connection took about 2mins, and calculating my journey was all of a second. The general use of it, was awsome to say the least. i purposly ran off route, and it recalculated without me even noticing. The voice did seem to jutter a bit in places, but otherwise it ran very smoothly.

i do have pictures, of installation and the box, gona take some photos of it working later today, and will post my pictures later today, and comparisons of some of the bugs. i have a long journey today, into the depths of london.
Redhotorange
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmo

Have you tried the postcode search? What I would like to know is when you type in the full postcode does CPL6 give you a single street name or a list of streets to choose from? Does it give you options of house numbers?

The reason I ask this is that CPL5 I've got (QVC version 5.1.0.7) claims to have full postcode search. However, when I type in the full 7 digit postcode in, instead of showing a single street name as it should do, it shows a list of streets (correct one plus a few near-by).

Thanks.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: short 1st review Reply with quote

elmo wrote:
The vent cradle for the GPS was pretty nifty, but when the GPS is in it, it rolls around abit. but it can be fixed.

I used to use a SilverShield amplified cradle that only had two arms for vent-mounting. It bounced like mad, caused lots of intermittent reflection, and threatened to break the vent on my BMW. I replaced it by a Seidio mount that has a third leg for support. An expense I could have done without, but the mount is now rock steady, and perfectly angled. To get the right Seidio mount, it was shipped direct from Spain.
Quote:
The voice did seem to jutter a bit in places, but otherwise it ran very smoothly.
Are you using the WAV voice or the TTS voice? Although it takes a little perseverence to get used to the electronic TTS voice, I found the extra information it gives invaluable. e.g. Two turns ahead, spoken speed limits for cameras, and it tries to teach me the local road names. I rarely need to look at the display with TTS.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ere, thats new!! When I logged in I was met with a new sign-on home page thingy, quite cool, actually alerted me to a PM I got in June!! Thanks Dave and sorry i didn't see it in the first place.

Anyway, onto today's pointless post. I think Dave should do a review and then ponderous do a review on Dave's review.

That should tie the site up for the next few weeks!!!

GB

PS I've just found www.ieSpell.com , now that's clever!!
elmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: 2nd Short Review Reply with quote

hello hello,

sorry i didnt update last night, was well busy, and i am today aswell hence another short update.

well if i was to say to you that CoPilot 6 was a useless piece of junk and CoPilot 5 was better, then...

i would be lying.

After a days solid use, i have to say its pretty good damn good, things that impressed me:

going under the chisick flyover - it knew i was under it not on on it
lots of POI announcement - telling how far away the next one was, i.e petrol station texeco in 0.5miles, next petrol station in 4miles after.
annouces turnings very well, even on the motorway. ive got it so it give me 3 warnings, 1, 1miles away, 2, 500 yards away, 3, 100 yards away.

You are able to set the rough estimate of the speeds u drive on certain roads to help give you a better estimate.

The postcode, is the full 7, but.... it give u the street, and the surrounding streets, no choice of house numbers im afraid, but when u enter the postcode, it gives you the option to enter the house number, and will guide you straight to the door, very handy.

I did have trouble, as i was using the WAV voice, and its POOP to say the least, the TTS voices (thanks iankb) are ALOT beta in my opinion, but hey each to their own.

no hangups or loss of sat signal at all yet.

for those who want the traffic option, it is there, im too stingy and havent brought it, but there are lots of options in that menu to customise it.

i added Speed Camera POI, and they work EXECELLENT, so do all the other POI, it tells you the correct number as well, which is all good. And has a custom POI, so you can add you own with ease.

urm, wot else..... any questions about it, and ill be happy to answer

oh yea!!

the calculation route thingy. the shortest route works well, London City Center to Dublin City Center does take you via holyhead. havent had time, to do the rest, lemme no if u want more details on it, i.e route, time etc
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmo, thanks for the report.

Questions:
1. In the Itinerary view of a trip in Planning Mode, can you click on any line and will that take you back to the map at the corresponding turn? This was on my wishlist.

2. Can you easily create a 'routing profile' called say 'motorcycle', favoring the smallest roads and shortest route, and will this profile consistently produce routes that look as expected? This should be possible now.

3. Do routing preferences and profiles declared on desktop show up correctly on the PPC, and vice versa?

4. Does the Favorites list from the PPC show up on the desktop as well? Also on my wishlist.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: