Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tosh E800, Haicom 303iii and TT5 - compatible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tosh E800, Haicom 303iii and TT5 - compatible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
generationgav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Tosh E800, Haicom 303iii and TT5 - compatible? Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Toshiba e800 and wanting to get TomTom 5. The "ideal" solution would be to get the TT BT pack and a Bluetooth CF card; but this comes in at almost £250.

I would LIKE to buy the TT5 software seperatly and then get the Haicom Hi-303III running in CF mode; this will cost me about £100 less; but will it work? A lot of people seem to be having issues with older Haicoms but does anyone have this lineup working?
I'd run it in Serial mode, but I can't find any info on this and whether it works on the Toshiba e800, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome along, I would avoid the CF all together as loads of people have reported problems, with reception quality and the GPS signal dropping out (with TT5), the CF will work but its marginal.
Go for either wired or as you sugest a BT unit, it doesn't need to be the TomTom BT unit any GPS will work, I have a wired Fuzion unit coupled to my PDA at the moment in the back room with no clear view to the sky and it is still picking up a decent signal in TomTom (I am endurance testing an external battery pack I built this morning) - so even with a wired unit you can go walking with the device and GPS if you want to - Mike
generationgav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go for a wired unit then can I ask what type do I go for?
Isn't the connection at the bottom of each PDA different? If so then do I need a particular model/make?

Wired would do me fine, Bluetooth just means I need the GPS reciever AND a bluetooth CF card; all I want to do is to be able to is to get in to my car, plug my PDA in to the holder and battery charger (yet to purchase also) and run it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wired GPS solution will save you even more money :D , as you will not need the PDA car charger lead - it will come as an integral part of the lead, what you do is specify the PDA at the time of purchase and the unit is supplied with the correct connector for your device, attached to it is a 12V regulator that goes straight into the car cigy lighter socket and the GPS unit. All devices powered off a single feed, and avoids another purchase - Mike
generationgav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be the correct device for my e800 then?

http://www.tigergps.com/tocarkitfort.html

would the wired TomTom device or even the Haicom HI-303III with something like http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Accessories/HAICOM_GPS_CABLE_FOR_PDA_AND_RECEIVER.html for the e800 work?

Thanks for all the advice by the way!

Gavin
prusling
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 303iii with TomTom on an Axim X50v with the EasyDevices cable for a few weeks now. It works very well, with a consistently strong signal, and has the versatility of occasional CF usage (or even bluetooth with the Haicom slipper).

The only problem with the Haicom is that the hinge split on very light CF usage, but the supplier changed it and so far so good. I've googled for users' similar problems and come up with none, so I assume that was a one-off faulty unit.

Also, the first cable I had lost its ability to clip onto the Axim, but easydevices replaced it very quickly without quibble.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generationgav wrote:
Would this be the correct device for my e800 then?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong button on the previous answer Embarassed
You are on the right track, however the cable you have been looking at will fit the PDA BUT not when it is in the cradle you are thinking about, I would try and get a cradle with a PS2 style serial input connector on it - the pictures show the one in the link to have something like a telephone / modem connector (RJ11) Mike
generationgav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've (maybe stupidly) gone and dived in by buying the Haicom (couldn't turn down the cheapness on ebay)

I think I'm going to go for the easydevices cable listed above and some kind of generic mount; as I am struggling to find the correct mount for my PDA (and i'm going to upgrade sometime, so this will just mean buying a new cable)

This should work then right?
Does the easydevices cable work without being plugged in to the cigarette lighter or does it need charge? This would at least give me the opportunity to use the cable away from my car too.

Many thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable needs the power as the lead supplies voltage to both the PDA and GPS unit, without being plugged into a socket it will not fire up the GPS (if you want a cheap generic mount try your local O2 shop, they were knocking out XDA car mounts for around a tenner). If you want to use the set-up away from the car either walking or bike etc. then build an external battery pack with a ciggy socket as the power outlet (I use high power AA rechargable batts, but you could run it of the old Copper topped units they sell) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: