Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Streetpilot i3 - v8 Map Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Garmin Rep in Comet Reply with quote

I was talking to the Garmin rep in Comet and her demo machine was a V8 - and she said the Comet stock was all V8.

I took my V7 unit back to PC world, explained I wanted a V8 - they understood and gave me a refund as they only had V7's :-(

But went back to Comet and bought the V8 from them - or so I thought. It turned out all their stock was V7, only the demo unit the woman from Garmin had was V8 - i argued a lot as I was specifically promied it would be V8 - even tried to swap cards with her ;-) to no avail.

However, and this is the interesting bit!, she did say that she was certain Garmin would do a free upgrade for me and others in my position.

So still stuck with V7 for now - no V8 boxes in the north east :-( but hopeful of a V8 upgrade soon.

Stephen
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know this has been mentioned before, but for anyone who is still looking to purchase an i3 and who wants to ensure that they do in fact get one with v8 already installed, just remember to check on the underside of the box (by the bar code) that is does actually say v8, before handing over your cash, or your flexible friend!

You don't even have to open the box itself, or to turn the unit on, but it will at least (hopefully!) reassure you that you are buying the latest version.
Daff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've posted in the thread below about i3's in the Shrewsbury/Telford area, but will say that I took my faulty V7 i3 back to Argos yesterday and asked about V8 maps. They said they didn't know and couldn't tell me so I got a refund. I then went to PC World in Telford and managed to pick up a V8 i3 with 2.5 firmware.
The following e-mail I received from Garmin might be of interest to you, though:
"The latest batch of units have been shipped with v.8 pre-loaded.
When the StreetPilot i3 update is available it will be posted on our website
and no sooner. The update to v.8 is not available yet
."

Seems to indicate that folks may be able to just download the update, although that does seem to contradict what has been said previously!
Sorry to add to the confusion!
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: V8/V7 boxing issues Reply with quote

The box information is useful, just of note - the box for the machine the Garmin rep had didnt say anything about V8 or any of the indications mentioned above, looked just like a V7 box. I suspect she had been given an update V8 card though :-(

Interesting that the update might appear on the website - would be nice if it did, cant see why it shouldnt - im sure they can make it so it only works on the relevant products that we have purchased, its not like tomtom or something where u can get software and run it on non tomtom hardware, so theres no revenue loss for them and a big hike in customer service thats got to be good.

Stephen
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Garmin i3 from Argos @ Cribbs Causeway Bristol on Friday and its got v8 on it. As someone once said "I'm lovin it"

Tony Smile
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J500ANT wrote:
I bought a Garmin i3 from Argos @ Cribbs Causeway Bristol on Friday and its got v8 on it. As someone once said "I'm lovin it"

Tony Smile

Also to add, I read through just about every post on here in relation to the i3, I dont think there is anything about the i3 that you guys dont collectively know! Thank you very much, all of you. If i wasnt so cheap i'd buy you all a pint. Well I can afford one if you want to share it ;)

I've also got a Streetpilot III that I paid £900 for 3 years ago, this new one is about 95% as good - there's very little i'm missing from the other unit and the new one's software is massively quicker.

Ive got a smart forfour with the double din radio and have the windscreen mount suctioned onto the radio display. Not ideal but very handy!
BigR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J500ANT wrote:
J500ANT wrote:

Tony Smile

Also to add, I read through just about every post on here in relation to the i3, I dont think there is anything about the i3 that you guys dont collectively know! Thank you very much, all of you. If i wasnt so cheap i'd buy you all a pint. Well I can afford one if you want to share it ;)

I've also got a Streetpilot III that I paid £900 for 3 years ago, this new one is about 95% as good - there's very little i'm missing from the other unit and the new one's software is massively quicker.

Ive got a smart forfour with the double din radio and have the windscreen mount suctioned onto the radio display. Not ideal but very handy!

Seems odd to me that many of you keep going on about the new upgrade and will or wont we get the upgrade, when you all bought the i3 you raved about it there is not going to be that much different with the new mapping that it will make dramatic changes to your lives. The unit is great even with v7 so lets not keep droning on about the same old thing and just be thankful for a great little piece of equipment.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think people are 'droning on about the same old thing ' ..all they are doing is informing others to where you can get the new v8 mapping i3's....
..and i agree with you the i3 is great but this is what forums are all about..peoples opinions and thoughts .......
steveapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Response from Garmin re V8 upgrades from V7 Reply with quote

This is what they said when I mailed them asking about it, as i have a V7 that should have been V8.....

Promising at least...

Stephen

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe Support.

the version 8 mapping has not yet been released. When it is released you
will be able to update via your dealer or garmin. The upgrading process has
not yet been confirmed. The update can not be supplied on a cdrom format,
only on a transflash card. When the update is officially release it will be
shown on the Garmin web site with full instruction on what you need to do.

This information will also be given to your local dealer. The update will be
free.
sebastianforbes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmmm.....................

last night i reserve my i3 on the web (from argos for £170).

this morning, the price has gone up to £180. well, i want the 'buy now pay 6 months later' so i go with it.

the garmin box has been repackaged inside a plain brown box with security tape (check contents if the seal is broken etc.) and it is a version 7, 2.4 with options for voice in english english.

needless to say, i go with the 2.7 updating and poi uploads and take it out for a test drive. it's working fine.

now i still feel as though i'm getting a good product at a good price, but who wouldn't want v8 if it was an option ? i have two weeks with argos to make a descision.

cheers

sebastian.
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sebastianforbes wrote:
the garmin box has been repackaged inside a plain brown box with security tape (check contents if the seal is broken etc.) and it is a version 7, 2.4 with options for voice in english english.

Hi Sebastian,

Sounds to me as if it might be a demo or returned model which was repacked 'in-store'. Don't think I would be too happy purchasing one packaged in that way. Mind you; I am assuming that all Argos stock is not like that (anyone?). Mine came from Comet, and was in an official Garmin box.

Why not have a look around any local branches of Comet, PC World, Staples, Halfords, Maplins etc and see if you can locate a new v8 model. Most of these stores will price match anyway, and also have a variety of interest free options, so you might even be able to find a better deal!

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
seasider
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Argos Reply with quote

Mine was in the brown box as described withan unopened Garmin Box inside.
sebastianforbes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clear up any confusion :

the i3 came in the official packaging, but was also wrapped in a brown box with security tape.........

so i had no way of knowing what version i was buying.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argos are in the habit of doing that - most things seem to come in an additional Argos brown cardboard box. Doing their bit for the rainforests I guess.
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
Argos are in the habit of doing that - most things seem to come in an additional Argos brown cardboard box. Doing their bit for the rainforests I guess.

I reckon the 2nd box is so the staff dont know whats inside.........

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: