Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V5 Update, Any News from TT on this ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V5 Update, Any News from TT on this ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: TomTom V5 Update, Any News from TT on this ? Reply with quote

We seem to waiting a very long time for an update for TT V5, and this can mean one of two things.

Either, its taking so long due to the number of fixes and updates, and therefore we'll hopefully be very pleased.

or

TT can not be bothered to fix the Navigator product. If the next update is for the GO range then that will give a very clear message, and we should all look for an alternative product.

Hopefully it will be the first, can any of the PocketGPS team provide an update or ask TT when the update is due.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know of no plans to release an update to TTN.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, it is incredible that TT appears to have no commitment to this product. The message it gives all their customers, including the TTGO ones, is that customers are expendable. If they only fixed the bugs they introduced when moving from TT4 to TT5 I would be happy!
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find their general treatment of customers to be shocking - and they don't appear to realise it has an impact on whther customers stay around or drift to other products

I maintain that the PocketGPS review should be updated to reflect a long-term usage report - as I believe that the awarded percentile score is unrepresentative of the real-world experiences
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to remember that since the release of ttn5 tomtom floated on the stock exchange and therefore all the important members of the team probably made a mint and now drive decent cars with built in sat nav!

Perhaps they no longer have to use their own product so why should they care - provided the dividends keep flowing - the only thing that will make them sit up and take notice is if sales dip (no new revenue = less dividends) OR another company can produce a decent product that works as well and looks as good as well (rules out mapopolis for me before Lutz starts :D )

neither of these senario's look likely at the minute - look at navigon (new release removes TMC fubctions in the UK), Co - pilot (read the posts - looks a support nightmare and few bug fixes) not sure about Navman.

I have viamichelin 3.2 as well, and always use tomtom 5 in preference to it.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree, and have suggested in the past that the TT V5 review should/must be updated to reflect the poor quality and lack of Customer Service. This is not because I'm upset, but more to do with maintaining the credibility of this site.

New customers find this site invaluable, but the TT V5 review is not an accurate and true reflection of the product and the problems people are now experiencing. It was based on pre released software, and other products from other manufactures have had their score adjusted both up and down. As yet I've not seen a negative review of a TT product on this site since V1 & 2.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked 6 clear questions (and added 1 comment with additional question), Tomtoms' reply was that it was not clear what I was asking Sad .

They are as follows

Has Tomtom opted for a common platform software policy whereby pda users only get the facilities/functions that work on 'GO'?

Are the pda users going to have to bin TTN5 and look for sat.nav. software that will work correctly (as TTN5 does not)?

Does Tomtom care what their customers think (general feeling on the forums is that they don't)?

What is the point of having a 'Shortest' or 'Walking' option when these plan totally useless & inpractical routes (as does the limited speed' option from what is said on the forums)?

Does anyone at Tomtom view these forums?

Will it take as long to answer these questions as it has to answer my last one (woops it still is unanswered)?

The map data contains errors (a road not exsisted for at least 15 years and one that was blocked off at least 10 years ago) and that's within one mile from my house. How many more errors are there and when will they be corrected? Don't tell me it's Teleatlas to blame, I purchased TTN5 from Tomtom.

And their reply

Sorry but your question is not clear ??

Please be more specific

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

This was the response to my comments that due to bugs, removed features (mainly the ability to alter preset road speeds), map errors which are years old & the fact Tomtom don't seem to care about their customers. This was their reply

Thank you for responce. Tomtom does strive to ensure that our products will meet the needs of our customers, changes we had made in both versions was done due to decisions in management, but please be aware that our development teams will be informed of your suggestions. Once again we apologies.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

In short their reply suggests a 'STUFF YOU, WE'VE GOT YOUR MONEY NOW' type of attitude.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
you have to remember that since the release of ttn5 tomtom floated on the stock exchange and therefore all the important members of the team probably made a mint and now drive decent cars with built in sat nav!

What? Car? Where? Ah, "important members" only. Well, back to my bicycle...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
iancjc wrote:

What? Car? Where? Ah, "important members" only. Well, back to my bicycle...

Lutz

I was referring to the tomtom team not the pocketgps team....

I know you all drive great cars!!!!!!!!! Laughing
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is true that the PGPS review of TT5 is , in hindsight, a bit lacking I think that the critisisms of the review are unfair.

Essentially these people give of their time for no return as far as I am aware and at the stage the product was released I think we could only expect an overview which was, by necessity not based on any deep experience. Map errors are unlikely to be found unless they happen to pass that way in their testing so they simply report what they find.

I also feel that they have a right to expect that any features which remain in the product - some did - after an update , should work in the same way as before so in depth testing of that feature is unnecessary.

Obviously as time has gone on we have all found wqeaknesses in the product and even more weaknesses in the TT response to those probems but I think that anyone reading the review also owes it to himself to read the subsequent forum threads and I don't believe that GPGS has a responsibility to go back and retrospectively modify the review. If they did that which features would we anticipate being identified as problems - we all have different views on that. I would argue that , for example, the 'limited speed' routing algorithm is rubbish, yet I know of one other reader who uses it daily in a Truck as I understand it.

No - the responsibility is ours to establish if it does what we want. Yes we can grumble - and I do - but at the end of the day don't blame the PGPS lads , they do a great job in my view.

Roy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: