Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Software updates for the MDPNA100, or not!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Software updates for the MDPNA100, or not!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Software updates for the MDPNA100, or not! Reply with quote

I've started an interesting e-discussion with Medion's technical support, so to save me typing everything again, this is what I have sent to Medion, in response to:
Quote:
Thank you for your message

It is not Medion that update the map data, it is Teleatlas.

Their website is here,
http://www.teleatlas.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=9223&ssSourceNodeId=9187

I replied:
Quote:
Thank-you for the reply. You'll need to help me here. I have identified a few important issues.

I've been on TeleAtlas's site, but no where can I find any mention of Medion or Navigon. Can you please guide me to the exact place on TeleAtlas's site where I can purchase cartography files fully compatible with the Medion MDPNA100's `Medion Navigator v4.4` navigation software.

Also, I did visit Navigon's wise to see if I can get an upgrade and was met with this unfortunate statement:

URL: https://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/upgrades

Quote:
Trade-in program "Old vs. NAVIGON"

Our “new for old” scheme is now in its second phase! Now you can upgrade your PNA/PDA to run the most up-to-date navigation system – and if you upgrade before 31.10.2005 it can cost you as little as 79 EUR (MobileNavigator|5.1 Country Edition including memory card). For technical reasons the PNA-upgrade is only available for Transonic and Bluemedia devices, not for Medion PNAs. Naturally our upgrade offer for customers using other mobile navigation systems still applies. Please note that for the present, if you want to take up the upgrade offer, you will have to send in your old original software (preferably as an insured package) once your order has been completed.

So, Navigon's statement states that for technical reasons I can not upgrade to Navigon's own branded software. Erm... WHY? If it was an upgrade to a Medion PPC100 then there is no problems. It's in their list of approved navigation PPCs, but the PNA100 is technically not capable? Is the Medion Navigator 4.4 on the PNA100 actually a re-branded Navigon navigator?

Really, I would want to grade to Navigation software that is more reliable when plotting a route from a city centre. I recently tried to calculate the fastest route from the `Manchester, Longsight` near the `A57(M)` to Rochdale. It calculated to route to take me along the M602, onto the M60, over north of Manchester, onto the M62 and then onto Rochdale! It also took about 4 to 5 minutes to work this out. Finally I decided to calculate the shortest route avoiding motorways and that worked. Actually the Medion Navigator 4.4 got hung up for such a long time that I thought the navigation software and/or WM2005 has crashed.

At this point I've become a little concerned. So, it seems that I'm stuffed in upgrading to Navigon 5.1? Also, what would be the case in getting software upgrades and/or bugfixes from Medion and the case of updated mapping for the Medion Navigator 4.4? At the moment the maps on sale on Medion's shop site are not upgrades, but only replacements.

I can see this being an interesting discussion, especially when enough people end up asking Medion what the score is in obtaining updates and/or buf fixes as well as up-to-date navigation map files.
ashley1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if you are the same trouble as myself. I have a MedionMDPNA175 and have also been in contact with Medion and Navigon with reference to updated maps - Same as you when the answers arrived!!
I think some thing gets lost in translation when you speak to Navigon as they recommend the MN 5 upgrade even though you can't have it if you have a Medion.
I must admit to not knowing about Teleatlas.
I have posted about this medion unit in the hope that some other readily available software will run on this unit - no replys as yet though.

As you say in your post if enough people post queries/ ask Navigon and Medion about upgrades, we may actually get somewhere.
In the mean time I will stay glued to the Forum in the hope of some good news.

Ashley Hedges
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'be just send a plea for asistance to the BBC Watchog program. If I'm really lucky they'll take up the case as satellite navigation has already been mentioned on the recent program:

Reference:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20051004.shtml

Maybe if enough complain to Watchdog, Medion may get some unwanted TV coverage?
ashley1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Watch Dog/ Halford - Medion Reply with quote

Just a short note to say that I have contacted both Halford where the unit was purchased and BBC watchdog with reference to Medion and its support.

I will keep you informed of any reply I receive
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it would be interesting to know, but I can't put the blame on Halfords. The problem is with Medion. Now Medion could hit back saying that if there are any problems that the help line should be called, but I have already called the help line a few times and only once I spoke to someone who has an idea what he was talking about, but it seems to me that Medion's own helpdesk crew also seem to be starved of information.

Ya knowm you visit Medion's site and the MDPNA100 is there as a main stream product. Even had a price reduction! (I wonder why?)

Now, visit the Medion support area and try find anything to do with the MDPNA100? I've just now tried. There is nothing at all. As if the MDPNA100 is perfect and there are no problems to report!

This is a pity because the MDPNA100 is quite a useful unit. Because of it's PDA and PocketPC abilities I'm actually using it every day and it's not stuck in a draw gathering dust for most of it's life.

So, there are many questions. Main one are?
    Bug fix updates: WHEN?
    Firmware updates to fix bugs: WHEN?
    Updated maps? WHEN?
    Can't upgrade to Navigon Navigator 5.1 because Navigon say it can't be done? WHY?

Simply put, why is the technical and product support not there, or a joke.

I've spotted forums there people want to use WiFi. Medion say it can be done, then some say it won't work and others say something about SDIO is in hardware, but Medion don't have a licence to turn the SDIO hardware on!

My head is spinning . . . . . . . Sad
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent the following to Navigon's support e-mail address `support.uk@navigon.com`. When I mention that I have seen Navigon's Navigator 5.1 operate on an MDPNA100, I'm not lying.

Quote:
Before I ask my question, I first need to make a few facts known.

I've known, because I've seen with my own eyes, the Navigon Navigator 5.1 operational on someone else's Medion MDPNA100, but I think this guy tried to see if it would work, like I'm trying. He demonstrated to me the functions and commented that the only thing with his version is the software would only navigate to the next junction. It was also determined that the Navigon Navigator can be completley installed on the SD storage card so as not to clutter up the PocketPC's main memory. This for me is perfect!

Unlike the MDPNA175 with is WinCE and dedicated to navigation, the MDPNA100 is a full PocketPC operating under Windows Mobile 2003 (WM32003). To me it seems the only big difference is that it has an integrated RoyalTek GPS receiver that the software communicates with though COM1 at 4800 bits-per-second. As a PDA is operates quite well. I have a few useful informational programs installed on it as well as an IP calculator, to name one.

Now, about my Medion MDPNA100.

I've determined that the Medion Navigator 4.4 has faults. Mostly it does work. I'm also worried because it appears that Medion has not proper support for the Medion Navigator 4.4, which is your software but re-branded. The biggest fault I have is with Medion's support.

What I'm prepared to do is to use something else that has good product and technical support and thought of trying Navigon Navigator 5.1 and being reassured that I will be able to get updates to fix any software faults and have access to updated navigation mapping as and when available.

Remember, Medion is selling their navigation units and the support appears to not exist. Yes, I have called Medion in the past, had a selection of answers to queries and none of the answers have worked.

So, simply, irrespective of the statement on the software upgrade site that reads; "
For technical reasons the PNA-upgrade is only available for Transonic and Bluemedia devices, not for Medion PNAs". Will the Navigon Navigator 5.1 work on the MDPNA100? Remember that I have seen someone else's MDPNA100 successfully run the software.

I don't know how he acquired it, but his reason was to try prove a point without risking purchasing the software, installing it, finding it does not work and not being able to get a refund.

Obviously I would want to purchase the navigation software as, apart from being legal, wish to have access to updates and updated cartography as and when released.

I eagerly await an answer.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PNA100 is actually a PDA which runs Pocket 2003, so you can upgrade to Navigon 5, BUT I did this for my Medion MD95000 - Model No. MDPPC150 (which is a re-branded Mio168) - Medion is so confusing with all these names, I digress, Navigon 5 even with the update to v5.1 is just so slow on my Medion, the map is 3-5 seconds behind your current position that it renders it useless, so have spent even more cash and purchased TomTom 5 which runs just fine.

I purchased Navigon 5 via their upgrade offer which means you have to send them your original Medion discs, but as the Navigon software is so cxxp what happens if you want your money back if you return the product, I very much doubt you would get your original software back.

I could not say for sure if you can use the Navigon or TomTom software on your unit as I personaly don't know, anybody ?
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ran slowly? Are you on about v5.1's ability to quickly re-route if a turning is missed?

Thing is, if Medion get their act together and offer a software update then I can live with that. Especially cartography updates! I'm getting concerned that Medion are selling the PPCs and PNAs and have opted to not properly support them.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware Medion have never done any GPS map updates at all for any of the products, only software/firmware related that has caused a major problem, so you will wait for ever for a map update or a newer version of the gps software, as they release new products then it will come with the latest gps software that is available to them from Navigon, but they never offer these later versions for existing systems, about the only thing that they may offer is additional country maps for some systems as an add-on product.

That's why it is important to only purchase a PDA unit from them so you add your own chosen gps software if you want to upgrade, but as I said I would not advise anybody to use Navigon 5, will even Medion continue to use Navigon products that are re-badged as Medion Navigator if they run so slowly on there units.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Myron"]It ran slowly? Are you on about v5.1's ability to quickly re-route if a turning is missed?[quote]

Sorry I forgot to answer this, no, I mine that the map is always 3-5 seconds behind your current position regardless of navigation mode, just displaying the map, navigating etc., these are not just my observations, many people with different units have all had this same problem, basically the version 5 gps engine is brand new and should never have been released in its present state (had to beat TomTom to market with v5 - what a mistake), it's just a poor beta program as far as I am concerned, the menus are poor compared to the older versions.

I personally think the update to v5.1 has made no difference to it at all.

TomTom 5.1 runs rings around it, the old versions 4.xx of Navigon all worked far better and that was never an issue at all.

Navigon 4.x 8/10
Navigon 5.x 3/10

TomTom 3.x 8/10
TomTom 5.x 8/10
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/transport/transport_20051004.shtml

Quote:
. . . The final system was by Tom Tom and cost more money, but it turned out to be the most problematic of all. . . .

I did think about moving to the TomTom, until I very recently actually watched the WatchDog comsumer affairs program. Seems many people are complaining about the TomTom the most.

Still... Trying to stick to the point of this discussion, ity would be nice to be heard by Medion and make that company aware that GPS systems do require updates. Me it map, software and/or both!
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what I found on Medion's shop site. The bit within the GPS maps section that explains that the maps are not updates and that naps can be used for what versions of the software.
Quote:
Medion Navigator 5

Open up Navigator then select Help. This will state the version of Navigator.

Compatible Maps: NOT AVAILABLE ON WEBSHOP

Hmmm......
Myron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of correspondance with Navigon I've determined that Navigon are unwilling to state what the technical problem is that prevents the use of their navigation software on the MDPNA100, but I have seen Navigon Navigator working on the MDPNA100 so all I can think of is that there is some sort of arrangement with Navigon and Medion where Navigon is now allowed to sell direct to MDPNA100 owners.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: