Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevpol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: remove the GPS Reply with quote

Unfortunately the analogy between mobile phone cradle and GPS cradle doesnt work. The phone is used and meant to be carried at all times except in the car when it is in a cradle.
The GPS is used in the car mostly. If it is not in the cradle it is most likely in the glovebox or under the seat.
It takes my targets 20-30secs to check !!!

I encourage and am trying to get the manufacturers to include a card or even build into the mount - MY **make** GPS has been removed from the vehicle - much along the lines of the face off stereo sets.

Everyone at the show was supportive of this along with the changing of the arrival voice. "Arriving at your destination. Dont forget to remove your GPS from the car"
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...Forget it! - I'm not stupid - I've taken the GPS with me!"

pushandpull suggested these words & i thought yeh great, so i made the above which is cut to the exact shape & size of the i3. The picture is on both sides laminated together & i looped a thin black cord from the top which hangs on the i3 window mounted ball. Now every time i leave the car with my i3 i just put this on.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With every motorway service stop showing signs about thieves with warnings to remove valuables and other stations using old police cars to fend off trouble I would say in answer to the original question. Is the Pope Jewish?
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always leave mine on the bike when I fill up with petrol Embarassed I'd probably leave it in the car too (though I always lock the car when I go to pay, and I always keep an eye on car and bike while I'm paying). I always take it with me if the vehicle will be out of sight or if I'll be away from it for more than a minute or two.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Gonzales wrote:
I always leave mine on the bike when I fill up with petrol Embarassed

Noooooo!! Don't do that.

I have heard of people having their gloves stolen while they pay for petrol. Scumbags will take ANYTHING that is not nailed down. Although you have a better than average chance of catching the thieving scum on a bike. Twisted Evil
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan_Gleebitz

No problem Dan
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be worth looking at when it's released in February 2006

http://www.stoplock.co.uk/stoplock/strongbox/
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the very first step we should have the ability to render the device completely non-functional unless you enter a pin code. I'd imagine this not to be too difficult to achieve with a firmware update from Garmin. I am not sure that the Stoplock idea is very practical but all ideas I feel are welcome and someone somewhere will find the answer.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:

Quote:
As the very first step we should have the ability to render the device completely non-functional unless you enter a pin code. I'd imagine this not to be too difficult to achieve with a firmware update from Garmin. I am not sure that the Stoplock idea is very practical but all ideas I feel are welcome and someone somewhere will find the answer.

I am not 100% sure a pin code is right, as with mobile phones they have found a way round this. And of course you have lost your GPS but with the Stoplock idea, as long as it is as strong as they claim it to be then your sat-nav should be very safe. I wonder if they will be able to grade it like they do with the steering wheel locks ie Thatcham category approved.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car?

Depends on a lot of things - including what type of car you have, and where you leave it parked.

I'm sure that one of the reasons we all bought an i3 was of its size (the other was probably cost) - given how small it is, it seems a bit daft not to take it with you.

Removing the windscreen mount however can be a real pain - I like the idea of the hanging sign, as it shows any potential thief that at least you've thought about it.

Personally I'd make the sign as simple and as legible as possible - a small piece of card with a hole in the top large enough to hook over the mount (a bit like a do-not-disturb sign), printed with "SATNAV REMOVED" in large, bold text that can be read in poor light.

Another idea would to convert the windscreen mount into an air-vent mount, by simply zip-tying it to the dashboard. This would make it far less conspicious to wandering eyes (and fingers).

As for PIN numbers and other software "security", it might make you feel better - but in practical terms it's next to useless.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already mentioned this on the Tom Tom Go thread, after removing your i3, leave a road atlas book lying around such as on the passenger seat or on your dash & it might just put a would be thief off from breaking into your car looking for your sat nav.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
I have already mentioned this on the Tom Tom Go thread, after removing your i3, leave a road atlas book lying around such as on the passenger seat or on your dash & it might just put a would be thief off from breaking into your car looking for your sat nav.

You'd think that - and that it would make sense. But sense and logic like that, don't really enter into it.

Leaving anything on show, and it's quite possible you'll tempt somebody to break in.

Best thing to do, if you're concerned with people breaking into your car, is leave NOTHING on show, nor ANY evidence you've been using a sat nav unit.

Anything else, and it may make sense to you, and even peers here, but I'm far from convinced it would cause the same logical thought process in a scag addict.
Lunker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
leave a road atlas book lying around such as on the passenger seat or on your dash & it might just put a would be thief off from breaking into your car looking for your sat nav.

No they will just break in and steel your road atlas!! Laughing
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunker wrote:

Quote:
No they will just break in and steel your road atlas!!

No they will just go into wh smith's & steal an atlas !! Laughing

Yes remove as much evidence as you can of a sat nav from your car as they are the hot item at the moment, but just leaving a (tatty well used) road atlas laid on the seat might just put them off the scent & go elsewhere.
I don't want anybody breaking into my car on the off chance that there is a gps there & anything that just might put them off I think is worth a try.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
Lunker wrote:

Quote:
No they will just break in and steel your road atlas!!

No they will just go into wh smith's & steal an atlas !! Laughing

Yes remove as much evidence as you can of a sat nav from your car as they are the hot item at the moment, but just leaving a (tatty well used) road atlas laid on the seat might just put them off the scent & go elsewhere.
I don't want anybody breaking into my car on the off chance that there is a gps there & anything that just might put them off I think is worth a try.

I think you're making a mistake.

Sure, sat navs are the "to have" gizmo for the prospective car burglar. But car burglars still did their thing before sat navs were regular items.

All the evidence suggests it's best to leave NOTHING on display inside your car, to discourage car break-ins, as opposed to trying to exploit some "logic" in somebody probably not that predisposed to being that thorough - remember, they are in a hurry.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: