Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattdonut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: crime Reply with quote

hi in last weeks paper the bigest crime wave to hit leicester is the theft of gps units from cars
i dont like to leave anything on show in my car.
they may be thieving scum but there not stupid..
just thought id add my bit!!
its better to take it all with you than go though the hastle of bust windows.
the i3 is very small and fits in a coat pocket..
cheers matt
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
charlies wrote:
Almahadeus

That is an excellent idea, or even informing Police when it is turned on!

Charlies, and it would be the easiest thing to track ever, wouldn't it? Laughing

Well, no, actually Confused. It's only a receiver, not a transmitter.

Jeff.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffG wrote:
Almahadeus wrote:
charlies wrote:
Almahadeus

That is an excellent idea, or even informing Police when it is turned on!

Charlies, and it would be the easiest thing to track ever, wouldn't it? Laughing

Well, no, actually Confused. It's only a receiver, not a transmitter.

Jeff.

Then what about all that talk on using GPS to charge motorists for how much they drive? How would that work? Question
Russky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jeff - The GPS Sats around the eath are constantly transmitting, the GPS systems are recievers only - and use these transmissions to calculate their current position on the ground. There is not way that the GPS sats can be used to recieve info from a mobile GPS - period, and as such a GPS reciever could not be locked remotely. The sats are not under the control of the sat nav companies after all...

As for the goverment scheme I have no idea - maybe it sits in your car and you have to go somewhere to get it read every 6 months or somthing?

Cheers,

Russky
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
As GPS relies on the principle of satellite tracking, could Garmin not be asked (part of the enhancement features) to add the possibility of identifying a stolen unit and then rendering it useless (like what happens to some stolen mobile phones). I think this would be the only way to stop thieves getting any benefit from ruining other people's lives. If Garmin is monitoring these forums then in my opinion this would be the most important enhancement they can provide to their customers.

Don't gps devices simply pick up a passive signal? This is like asking that radio stations be blocked from all stolen radios.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:

Then what about all that talk on using GPS to charge motorists for how much they drive? How would that work? Question

Road charging would probably use a transmitter of some kind in combination with a GPS. Mobile phone technology would be an obvious choice but road side transponders are another option.
jog_on
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
I was just wondering whether or not anyone had a bad experience leaving their Garmin inside an empty car. I read on these forums that people are hardwiring it & attaching external antenae and assume that they are possibly keeping their units inside the car all the time. I am always removing it fearing that it might get the attention of the wrong eyes but what about everyone else? Am I being over-cautious?

I work for a large vehicle glass replacement company and see a lot of cars that have been broken into due to equipment being on display. Even leaving windscreen mounts attached is risky. Thieves see these and assume the owner has stashed the GPS/radar detecter in glovebox, under seat etc. as many people do. It only takes a couple of seconds to get into the majority of cars and snatch whatever is attached to screen/dash. Not only will you lose valuable equipment your car will be damaged as well.
Donegal TDI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are very, very, very, very, very concerned about what people see in your vehicle, tint your windows. One of those new fangled space age coatings, you can see out, but no one can see in.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donegal TDI wrote:
If you are very, very, very, very, very concerned about what people see in your vehicle, tint your windows. One of those new fangled space age coatings, you can see out, but no one can see in.

Legally, everything forward of the B pillars, can't be obscurred that much.

And besides, even if you did tint them that much, and all round, isn't it likely that ne'er-do-wells may think you've got something to hide?
Donegal TDI
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the assistance of the following site for guaranteed results Smile

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/4wmv.htm
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donegal TDI wrote:

It's supposed to play a movie (I guess), but doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it only works with Int*rn*t Expl*r*r.

Jeff.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffG wrote:
Donegal TDI wrote:

It's supposed to play a movie (I guess), but doesn't do anything for me. Maybe it only works with Int*rn*t Expl*r*r.

Jeff.

It works for me using Opera v8. Looks to be a good solution but has hidden costs, I guess Crying or Very sad
JeffG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougconran wrote:
It works for me using Opera v8. Looks to be a good solution but has hidden costs, I guess Crying or Very sad

Sad Doesn't work with Firefox for some reason (maybe it's something to do with Adblock), but OK with IE. Nice alarm system!
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London_i3_Newbie wrote:
id rather have the thing in my possession rather than 50 miles away with a criminal and locked down so it can no longer be used :D

I beleive Prevention is the key to something rather than locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I find it easier taking off the whole thing to be honest rather than pulling it out the mount everytime

I know im gonna find it annoying carrying the thing round in my pocket 24/7 ill have to carry it in a little rucksack and look like im still at school :o

i would find Taking the GPS aerial off the back shelf folding it up and the cigar lead and putting them neatly in the glovebox every time i leave the car a major annoyance though... do u think a criminal would try his luck at the sight of a few cables?

Why not remove the i3 then hang a little card on the knob saying something like "...Forget it! - I'm not stupid - I've taken the GPS with me!" ?
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of talk in this thread about security.

What about other issues leaving the i3 in the car - ie - extreme heat in summer, and cold in winter - surely that cant be good for it?

DSL - Don't Say Leonard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: