Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Is it safe to keep Garmin in the car Reply with quote

I was just wondering whether or not anyone had a bad experience leaving their Garmin inside an empty car. I read on these forums that people are hardwiring it & attaching external antenae and assume that they are possibly keeping their units inside the car all the time. I am always removing it fearing that it might get the attention of the wrong eyes but what about everyone else? Am I being over-cautious?
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hard wired & have an external ariel, but i always take my i3 out of my car,it only takes a few seconds to unplug & pull it of the glass mount leaving just the mount stuck to the windscreen, i don't trust anyone.
I bought a small camera case from asda & it fits snugly so that its protected when carrying it.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But leaving the mount in the car can also be insecure I would have thought as thugs would probably still take their chances thinking that the GPS could well be inside the car (like in the glove box) and smash the window as a result.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no answer to that but maybe i should get a sign saying NO VALUBLES LEFT IN VEHICLE.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't leave it in the car. Lots of people have had their GPS units stolen....
kevpol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: dont leave the mount on view Reply with quote

Removing the GPS from the mount is obvious but leaving the mount on view indicates the GPS 'may' be hidden inside the car.

The offender will smash a window and rummage just on the off chance.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: dont leave the mount on view Reply with quote

kevpol wrote:
Removing the GPS from the mount is obvious but leaving the mount on view indicates the GPS 'may' be hidden inside the car.

The offender will smash a window and rummage just on the off chance.

I've two thoughts to this - if you're removing it from the mount, what's the inconvenience of taking it with you - and surely thieves would have the common sense to realise this.

But on the other hand - a car with a mount, and without a mount, which is the one a smash and grab merchant will try?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you see a mobile phone holder in a car ,you dont assume that the phone is in the car ..i think this also works for a gps holder, as far as the 'thief' knows you have removed the gps from the car to use outside....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
if you see a mobile phone holder in a car ,you dont assume that the phone is in the car ..i think this also works for a gps holder, as far as the 'thief' knows you have removed the gps from the car to use outside....

Agreed - that's the logical thought process - somebody has gone to the effort of removing a fairly small, fairly valuable device from it's holder - surely they would then take that with them, rather than stowing it somewhere in the car, but out of sight.

However, that automatically assumes that fabled scally is thinking logically.

And if nothing else, thinking about said scally - he sees some cars parked, one / some have various mounting devices for gadgets, albeit with the gadgets not visible, and some cars that have nothing obvious in view. Maybe the cars with gadget attachments would look like the driver / owner has spent money and consideration on gadgets, and perhaps is more likely to have *something* of value in the car?

I'm just hypothesising, I don't know the answer. One thing I will feel, as somebody who parks in a large-ish city during the week, is that having a windscreen mount in place for my i3 may well making it more tempting for the speculative ne'er-do-well. And that's a slightly depressing thought.
KINH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the misfortune to work for one of the largest vehicle insurers i may be able to shed a little light here. Most modern vehicles can no longer be stolen using the traditional 'hot-wiring' methods due to transponders in keys and the need of the vehicles ecu to read said transponder to start the vehicle.
Former vehicle thieves have therefore started apporaching vehicle crime in different ways to avoid having to work for a living. The most popular methods of vehicle crime are either the theft of keys themselves (from homes etc) to enable the car to be stolen or the theft from vehicles of expensive bits of kit.
Do not make the mistake of thinking that all vehicle crime is commited by those of a low iq, even if the main is there are many organised gangs lead by cunning people who have now sussed PDA & TOM TOM mounts.
My advise to all would be to remove not only the unit but also the mount.
Otherwise you may only be claiming the max personal effects on you car policy normally £100 £150 leaving you upset & out of pocket.
You have been warned Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KINH wrote:
Do not make the mistake of thinking that all vehicle crime is commited by those of a low iq, even if the main is there are many organised gangs lead by cunning people who have now sussed PDA & TOM TOM mounts.
My advise to all would be to remove not only the unit but also the mount.
Otherwise you may only be claiming the max personal effects on you car policy normally £100 £150 leaving you upset & out of pocket.
You have been warned Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I think you're right about removing the mount - more of a pain than I'd like it to be. I just think for city areas, it's just one more tempter, one more reason than a car without a mount, to think about looking inside.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As GPS relies on the principle of satellite tracking, could Garmin not be asked (part of the enhancement features) to add the possibility of identifying a stolen unit and then rendering it useless (like what happens to some stolen mobile phones). I think this would be the only way to stop thieves getting any benefit from ruining other people's lives. If Garmin is monitoring these forums then in my opinion this would be the most important enhancement they can provide to their customers.
charlies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus

That is an excellent idea, or even informing Police when it is turned on!
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlies wrote:
Almahadeus

That is an excellent idea, or even informing Police when it is turned on!

Charlies, and it would be the easiest thing to track ever, wouldn't it? Laughing
If the government is capable of using GPS to charge us (innocent people) for how much we use the road or to monitor our speed then surely it would be a piece of cake to use it to track criminals as well.
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id rather have the thing in my possession rather than 50 miles away with a criminal and locked down so it can no longer be used :D

I beleive Prevention is the key to something rather than locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I find it easier taking off the whole thing to be honest rather than pulling it out the mount everytime

I know im gonna find it annoying carrying the thing round in my pocket 24/7 ill have to carry it in a little rucksack and look like im still at school :o

i would find Taking the GPS aerial off the back shelf folding it up and the cigar lead and putting them neatly in the glovebox every time i leave the car a major annoyance though... do u think a criminal would try his luck at the sight of a few cables?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: