Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CheckPOInt version 3.0 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CheckPOInt version 3.0 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CheckPOInt version 3.0 Released Reply with quote

This was one of the reasons we didn't want to open up sync up to our server. The other reason is it leaves a huge gaping security hole on the server making it liable for hacking if you're not careful.

Sounds like version 3 is a bit of a backward step.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CheckPOInt version 3.0 Released Reply with quote

Just to clarify what I wrote above (fearing misunderstanding after I pressed Post).

CheckPOInt is great software - particularly for free! I dislike the direction that the author has chosen for version 3 - but it is entirely up to him or her what the direction of CheckPOInt development is. I'm certainly very grateful for the excellent version 2.02.

I think it comes down to version 2.02 suiting my needs more than version 3. If some of the rough edges are knocked off version 3 and POIplace as they stand today, it could become really great. Like Oldie, I am no great fan of two-way synchronisation - but maybe it will work out. Time will tell!

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Having installed version 3, and registered with POIplace, I think I'm going to uninstall it and go back to version 2.02 - or at least remove my synchronisatino settings.

POIplace at the moment isn't correctly localised for the UK - the speed camera categories include speeds that are ridiculous in the UK (120mph!). More importantly, the other POI categories are incorrect for the UK - for example, we don't have Agip filling stations, Carrefour supermarkets or Rabobank banks. I'm sure this can and will be sorted out - but for now it's not right!

There are some more important problems with the POIplace features, though. With the POIplace features enabled it seems impossible to capture information in CheckPOInt.ov2 and submit that to the Pocket GPS database. I believe that captures will go into the POIplace databases if POIplace is enabled - and those databases will obviously be manipulated by other POIplace users as you synchronise. It isn't without reason that the Pocket GPS database is sanity checked and I'd rather use a database with an overall maintainer than what appears to be a database that can be manipulated directly by other users.

The POIplace databases don't appear to be available to show in Navigator itself - though that may be down to the lack of UK camera locations on POIplace at the moment.

If you want to use the POIplace camera categories, you have to enable warnings for each type (different speed category in both speed and speed/red light combined)yourself. That means a lot of overlays you have to enable manually! I'm sure a bulk feature will be added in the future - but for now, it's messy.

A further indication of the POIplace orientated nature of version 3 is that when working with "Not synchronised" overlays, it says "No picture" and doesn't appear to try retrieving the picture from your map folder. Pictures are shown for the POIplace categories.

I think it's also the case that in version 3, that false POIs can't be marked as in version 2 - they are actually deleted. I never got as far as checking this, though. This doesn't help when dealing with the Pocket GPS database, either - how can you report a seemingly false camera if the POI is just deleted without trace?

The real nightmare comes if you want to disable the POIplace stuff. You can't get back into the "Synchronisation settings..." screen to turn it off! Uninstalling CheckPOInt doesn't get rid of it (even if you get rid of the "CheckPOInt Software" registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software, and deleting all the files that synchronising with POIplace leaves in "\My Documents\CheckPOInt Files" doesn't help either. The settings are somewhere in the registry or in a hidden file - but I can't find them. As I've hunted fairly carefully for a file, I think the settings are in the registry somewhere.

I suspect this is a security feature. I guess that part of the protection against people vandalising POIplace POI files by deleting valid POIs and/or submitting false POIs may be some kind of logging that uses this data.

I can't even hard reset and restore this morning's backup easily - because I've made other changes to the Pocket PC this morning (in particular, upgrading Pocket Backup Plus). However, I can do this with some pain if necessary.

I think the right answer is to remove version 3 and return to 2.02 (I have kept the installer for 2.02). I fear CheckPOInt will become increasingly wedded to POIplace and become increasingly less useful for participating in other databases.

Any comments?

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: