Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Welcome
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Feel free to discuss anything Motorcycle related (preferably with a vague connection to GPS!) here.

I've enabled Edit permissions on this forum so you're all guinea pigs Smile

By way of introduction, held a motorcycle licence for 23yrs, hold Police CLass 1 and IAM Motorcyle certificates. Traded my last bike in for a pram 8 years ago and finally have a bike again, an ex-Police R1100RT which is currently sporting a RIDER. Can't discuss it in detail so don't ask ;)
Nords
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, great idea to stop the pure car drivers moaning about bike talk.

I have been on bikes since 16 (1982!) with an ER50 followed by a RD125 DX, GT250, GSX750, ZXR750 (as George White sold my ordered GSXR750L to someone else! etc). Been in Germany (and did the fast car thing, played with other people's Ducatis etc), but now here with my Crescent GSXR thou K3 with a few extra bits.

Check out www.gsxrthou.co.uk for more!
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've only had my bike license for 14 years so still quite new at it compared with you two :P Up until December last year it was my only form of transport so have covered quite a few miles in that time. Current bike is a Triumph Daytona 955i, not the most reliable bike around but great fun when it's working :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for creating the new forum, Darren. 8)

I've been riding on the road for about 10 years and off road for a few years before that. I brought my CBR600FX new in 2000 and my first GPS (a Garmin GPS-V) in 2002.

I have now traded up to a Garmin Quest which is attached with a U-Bolt RAM mount to the left handlebar. I haven't gotten around to wiring it for power or sound yet.
oyster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a Fazer 1000, with a Navman iCN510 in the tank bag, powered from an accessory socket that I wired up myself.

Top bit of kit - saved me a few points on my licence several times ;)
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a young kid compared to you's oldies Laughing i have had a Honda Varadero 125 for just over a year and moved from that to a Honda CBR 600 FY, loving it since i started and it is my only form of transport also. I got into bikes later on as i am 24 now it would say i am a late starter but i have recommended biking to my friends as i don't think you can get any better than jumping on the bike and heading off without a destination in mind and see where you end up.

I think that they are making it harder to pass your test and are trying to put you off, i filled out a questinaire from some goverment agency before i took my lessons and it was more trying to find out what is in the mind of bikers (asking questions somthing like if the pool was cold on a sunny day would you jump in or wait till the pool heats up) and giving you all the nasty facts about how many bikers die each year and how many friends you have that are bikers and if you think they would have an accident and if they where likely to survive or not. Maybe its to open your eyes to the danger but i think as soon as you go out on the road you know how vulnerable you really are (white van/taxi drivers everywhere Wink ).

As for diesel spills i managed to do a 180 from a standing start on a patch of diesel and have nearly went down a few times GRR buses and trucks should really get pulled and fined for that. alix776 i hope you are reading this Laughing

Anyway i need to get back to work
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridden bikes (legally) for 35 years (jeezus, thats scary when you see it in writing!), competed in road racing for 12 of these and currently ride a Yamaha TDM900 with a tweak up by TTS in Silverstone Smile .

Using a Garmin Quest with a Ram mount and a home modified Garmin power lead/speaker with plug for helmet speakers through an Autocom headset.

First used the Quest this summer when riding to Croatia - the headset facility was pretty useless as the Autocom is 9v battery powered and ate batteries, next step is to hard wire the unit to the bike battery via a voltage reducer.

Anyone wanting advice on modifying the speaker unit is welcome to post me.
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is a handy section....

I've got a RR3 Fireblade, which I picked up 3 months ago after selling my K4 GSXR600 (20k miles in 18 months on that one!).

I've got a Navman 510, which I run in a tank bag, have an accessory socket fitted and use an ear piece. I took said kit, and the 'Blade to tha Alps at the end of August, was great fun.

I'm now seekin a more suitable device for the bike, but also want to be able to down load Autoroute files to it (or have a half decent way of creating routes from the desk top). So if anybody can recommend a suitable bit of kit, I'm all ears :D

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jelster wrote:
I'm now seekin a more suitable device for the bike, but also want to be able to down load Autoroute files to it (or have a half decent way of creating routes from the desk top). So if anybody can recommend a suitable bit of kit, I'm all ears :D

Garmin Quest or Street Pilot 2610. These are both waterproof and they come with the maps on CD so you can plan your route/mark waypoints and review tracklogs on your PC.

The biggest disadvantage is that they don't do proximity alerts for speed cameras - I presume you are interested in this type of feature ;). See this thread for information about contacting Garmin to request this.

The Quest is being replaced by the Quest2 (Full European maps preloaded) and the 26xx is being replaced by the 27xx.

You could also look out for TomTom Rider which is coming Real Soon Now. There should be a review up on this website as soon as it's released. The rider is a waterproof version of the TomTom with Bluetooth for a headset.
andybike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys,thought i'd say hello as i'm a newbie.

been riding bikes since 16(1986),passed my test in 1997 and my 1st big bike was an xj600(pre diversion),followed by a gpz305,cbr600fn and i currently ride a triumph sprint 900 sport ltd edition.

the satnav i bought is a garmin i3 which is placed well inside the screen to keep rain off it...amazing piece of kit!
scoobyweb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back into riding bikes, well a couple of years ago.

Had a Kawasaki AE50 when I was 16, but got a car at 17. Did my DAS and passed my test two years ago, bought a Yamaha Thundercat and have fitted it with a RAM Mount and Garmin Quest.

Looking to change to a new Triumph Sprint ST as soon as finances allow! 8)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobyweb wrote:

Looking to change to a new Triumph Sprint ST as soon as finances allow! 8)

Ah, a person with taste, I see. :D Get one as soon as you can; you won't regret it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost dare not ask but what do you think of the Trophy's?

My BM's gearbox has imploded (being repaired under warranty) and I saw a Trophy 1200 in a local dealer, very nice. I can just about get my fu**ed leg onto the peg but could only stretch to a '99 or '00 model.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bought any Triumph, you'd be OK in my book. Don't you fancy a Tiger?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, prefer tourers myself. More chance of arriving at a client looking hald presentable!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: