Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com moves to a new server and has a fresh new
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com moves to a new server and has a fresh new

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld.com moves to a new server and has a fresh new Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAs you may have noticed over the last few weeks we have been having some issues with our server performance. We have been investigating this and have once again decided to upgrade the server.

The web site should now have started to call pages from the new server.

It has been a bit of a stressful day for us at PocketGPSWorld.com as some things cannot be tested until the switch over actually takes place. Sure enought there were a few teething problems. The main problem was the server time, this has now been fixed, but it may prevent you posting into the forums untill about 11:00 GMT tonight. Sorry about that.

We have also taken the opportunity to give the site a bit of a makeover, in particular we have a new menu system which (hopefully) will help you find our articles a bit easier.

What do you think about the site redesign? Over 30,000 of you visit us every day - so can we be cheeky and ask you all to have a good look at all areas of the site and report any bugs to webmaster@pocketgpsworld.com. Between the 30,000 of you you're bound to find one or two issues. We'd be very surprised if you didn't

Thank you for your understanding and support during this period of change.

Last edited by MikeB on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best wishes for the new "version"

since you ask about the new display, it's nice and light... on the other hand all PHP sites look very alike nowadays... nothing we can do about it though
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good chaps,

its nice to see it a lighter shade

keep up the good work

using TomTom & CoPilot

Pocketgpsworld iphone cameralert app
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nulusios wrote:
PHP sites look very alike nowadays...

PHP is a server side scripting language and has no effect per se on how a site looks. Perhaps you mean PHP Nuke, which is a templating system using the PHP language?

Anyway, I think the new site looks a lot better. The server also seems much faster, too. Well done!
nulusios
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, since Nuke and its look alikes is the 99.9% choice of forum builders and Nuke is something that came over with PHP, PHP is the 99.9% choice of such sites (because of Nuke and its look alikes) so it's safe to say what I said

doesn't mean PHP cannot do more nor is an insult towards PHP Laughing
on the other hand, thanks I already know the differences (my job my personal history and all... blah blah) 8)

I think I covered both things I wouldn't like you to mean by saying what you said - hope you meant something else Smile

btw indeed this design feels faster... faster server, lighter graphics, newer more optimised scripting and new version portal software I don't know, but you are correct (as it looks from my slow DSL at least)
taffy056
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Its a new look and it will get some getting used too, but on the whole its better than previously, shame you didn't go with vBulletin though, I find it a better alternative than phpBB, having used both on my websites, I also find vBulletin is a lot more secure.

taffy
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taffy056 wrote:
Its a new look and it will get some getting used too, but on the whole its better than previously, shame you didn't go with vBulletin though, I find it a better alternative than phpBB, having used both on my websites, I also find vBulletin is a lot more secure.

Thanks for the comments.

A better content management system would be good, but unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) we have 10's of thousands of pages indexed in the search engines. Changing the underlying CMS would cripple our rankings in the search engines. That means that we pretty much have to stay with what we have got.
taffy056
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Okay you obviously know better than myself Smile anyway if you do decide to change in the future vBulletin is an excellent choice, and the CMS offerings below are very good, well in my opinion ;)

http://www.phpportals.com
http://www.vbadvanced.com
http://www.subdreamer.com

Regards,

taffy
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding work guys
No more Lost satellites :D 8O 8O 8O
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayflan wrote:
Outstanding work guys
No more Lost satellites :D 8O 8O 8O

Yep. I like that a lot.

Trouble is that the "Lost Satellites" gave me a chance to do some "real" work!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New site is great, I have noticed one small strange behaviour though, if I am logged in at my main home PC, I can still use the mobile devices 4700 in the pub or at home via wifi, XDA in the pub via wifi or GPRS when mobile, but on return to home the main PC will not let me log in to the site without a full re-boot, the wifi devices still let me in via the same connection point and the GPRS will still let me in. I am not too sure if this is a problem at your end, but I have only noticed it since the switch - I am off camping for the rest of the week so this won't present a problem until I return - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: