Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Going out of my mind PLEASE HELP....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Going out of my mind PLEASE HELP....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theGman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Going out of my mind PLEASE HELP.... Reply with quote

Ok, i received my ttn5 upgrade today, and installed it over navigator 2004 only to find that I NO LONGER have voice (they are all grayed out). I did a hard reset on my t3 and did a clean install, then installed the maps on my sd card and activated them.. To no avail STILL no sound Rolling Eyes Sad

I popped the install CD in and chose a voice to install, did a hotsync, and still nothing.. Im pretty good with the palm, but this has me puzzled.. I even tried manually throwing a few sound files in the tomtom directory on my SD card (not sure I was doing it correctly). I cant get voice with anything I tried.. Any suggestions? And thanks in advance.
theGman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and also, for what its worth, I checked my SD card and all the sound .chk and .vif files are IN THERE.. Thats what I dont get. Just trying to give you guys all the info I can. I checked the properties of the files and read only is NOT checked, but ARCHIVE is.. Not sure if that helps to diagnose the problem. I had perfect sound with no problems with navigator 2004, this only started after the upgrade.
SRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if there are differences with the Palm version, but have you tried putting one of the .chk and .vif file in Program Files\Navigator (or wherever the Navigator exe is).

Some people have had to do this with extra voices on PPC platform.

My own voice files are in a folder called VOICES in the root of the SD card. There is also an empty folder called TOMTOM in the root of the SD card.

My TTN5 SD Card root looks like this.

Great-Britain-Map
ITN
RASTER <= Empty
SCHEMES <= Empty
TOMTOM <= Empty
VOICES
ZIP

Hope that helps,

Slider.
theGman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Slider.. The deal with the Palm is that there is no accessable file structure. In other words, once something is installed There is no way to get to any install folders etc on the palm (its just on there). As far as the SD card, I do not have a voices folder. I have the following:

PALM-->LAUNCHER-->empty
ITN-->1 temporary file in there
NEW_ENGLAND_AND_MID_ATLANTIC (Map folder)
AUDIO-->Empty
TomTom-->sound files

So there ARE sound files (.chk and .vis) in the tomtom folder, and i even tried copying them to the audio folder as well. No good.
theGman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I GOT IT!! This is the deal..

Every ounce of tomtom instructions tell you to install the MAIN application (Which includes the Lori voice) to the INTERNAL memory of the palm, and install the maps to the SD card. They state this, although when installing, there IS an option to install it to the SD card.. So after trying to follow tomtom's instructions for 5-6 hours (I dont give up easily - Laughing Out Loud) I said, ok one last ditch effort. Hard reset-->format SD card. I installed the main app to the SD card and voila!! Upon opening navigator and choosing a language, the "Lori" voice was available. Went ahead and installed 2 other voices without a hitch, and installed the maps to the SD card as well. Awesome. Thanks for the help, hope this helps someone else out.
Cindy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! I have the EXACT problem and it is driving me crazy also. I will try to insall the application into my SD card and hopefully it will solve the problem. Will update later!

Thanks!!
SKYravefever
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy wrote:
This is great! I have the EXACT problem and it is driving me crazy also. I will try to insall the application into my SD card and hopefully it will solve the problem. Will update later!

Thanks!!

Cindy - If you're going to replicate theGman's solution, DO NOT install the app onto the SD card. Instead, install it on the palm's main memory.
Cindy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKYravefever wrote:

Cindy - If you're going to replicate theGman's solution, DO NOT install the app onto the SD card. Instead, install it on the palm's main memory.

I am confused. I thought theGman is saying putting the application on the SD card is how he solved the problem? I installed the app into palm's internal memory the first time and encountered the same problem that theGman had.
Muncher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried everything I can think of to get the voices to work and had no luck. I have TTN5 with the wireless tomtom mkII GPS and a Palm T5. I've installed and re-installed from a Mac running OS X 10.3.9 and from a PC running Windows XP sp2. I've run the install with the SD Card in and with it out. I've tried installing to internal memory and the SD Card. I've done a hard reset and formatted the SD Card between each install. I've tried changing the name of the SD Card. I've e-mailed tomtom a few days ago and had no reply. I've checked forums. I really want the voices to work. Any ideas?????????????????

I'm about ready to punt!
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to install the voices to the same location as your app. ALso make sure to use the new upgrade cd for that.

With v5 the voices are not recognized if installed to internal (RAM) memory. So you can only install to SD card, or to the internal storage card on a T5. So the app should go to one of these locations as well.

The maps can be anywhere.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say: the voices go in the VOICES folder now, not in the TOMTOM folder. The 2 folders are next to each other, in the root of the SD.
Muncher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the voices to the internal memory and the sd card, still no luck. I created a VOICES folder in the root next to the TOMTOM folder and dragged the *.chk and *.vif files to it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the quick replies!
Cindy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muncher wrote:
I've installed the voices to the internal memory and the sd card, still no luck. I created a VOICES folder in the root next to the TOMTOM folder and dragged the *.chk and *.vif files to it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the quick replies!

I did the same thing. Reinstalled app to the internal memory and installed the vif and chk files to SD card. Moved vif and chk files from the root directory to a folder I created: "VOICES". It doesn't work.

This is what I have in my SD card:
> TomTom (This folder only has setup.dat)
> Voices (vif and chk files are here)
> New England and Mid-Atlan...
> Palm
> itn

My palm is Tungsten T3.

Any help will be very much appreciated. I am running out of things to try here!

Thanks!!
Muncher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Cindy and everyone else interested...here's how I solved my problem.

- I re-formatted the SD card.

- I hard reset my Palm T5.

- since my Palm was new with no other data on it or in Palm Desktop, I DELETED my user name. WARNING...if you have data there make sure you back it up!!! Anyway, I create a new user in the Palm Desktop. This eliminated the leftover tomtom install remnents from the 1st failed install.

- I ran the install again...installing the application to the SD card. I ran TTN5 BEFORE installing any maps this time. The Voice WORKED! I installed several more voices and they all worked.

- Then I finally installed the maps I wanted and everthing appears to be working.

Hope this helps!!!

Muncher
Cindy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

I tried to reformat the SD card and did a hard reset, and installed application, voices, and maps all to the SD card. It worked!!! I didn't create a new user name for my T3 and didn't create a "VOICES" folder.

Thanks Muncher and everybody else. I am very glad this problem is now finally solved.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: