Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com to visit TeleAtlas in Belgium
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com to visit TeleAtlas in Belgium
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is stupid enough to try the only thing that they will get is sore ears from the alarm!!

Of course nothing of any value is ever left in the car...
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In past Pocket GPS World interviews they have not sounded very interested in Ireland mapping.

Why are they at least two years behind NavTeq who have a full time team here in Ireland and will have the country fully mapped by the end of 2005?

I always get the impression that they were caught on the hop with NavTeq's initiative.

For what it is worth: I ditched Navman after they went to TeleAtlas because their maps fell way behind NavTeq's.
ITSeuro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to meet the traveling team for about an hour somewhere in The Netherlands? Would like to discuss possible support to PocketGPSWorld in development, POI's, and GPS related issues in the BENELUX.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask them "So, now TomTom have decided to use Navteq for the Rider, do you think that TeleAtlas will wake up, smell the coffee and start discussing their options for TTN6, which seems that TomTom will allow customers to choose which maps they want and help resolve some of the map errors customers are reporting?
robpow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when they will separate out the application from the maps, a bit like Mapopolis. Why not make the application with some very basic maps free, or available at a low cost and then charge for up-to-date content.

Matt
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnGray wrote:
I think I'd be interested in a comparison of their roads data update policy against standard printed road atlases, e.g. the excellent Philips Navigator 1½ miles to the inch Atlas, updated yearly and costing around £20 a time (before discount)...

Thanks!

John Gray

Couldn't agree more. Can you ask them why it takes so much longer to update electronic maps which SURELY must take longer to release than old-fashioned paper!!!!!!

What about a subscription service where updates are sent to the user the same way as anti-virus updates are distributed????

What about including SmartSTv3 as an option to those of us who have bothered to report mapping errors to TeleAtlas??? At the moment on the TA website, you HAVE to choose your software as part of their reporting process and there is nothing past v2 and no iCN510 on there either!!!!!
thezerocool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: cooperation Reply with quote

question 1:

would it be impossible to teleatlas to come together with TomTom to create a better mapping system.

For example, tomtom buys the maps (no doubt for a fortune) and teleatlas updates them. But they find out about changes the hard way but retracing the routes and contacting road authorities for details. Many roads are either missing or are named incorrectly because of this and amendments like new roundabouts etc take ages to collect. The TomTom program could accept changes to the maps at the clients end. Basic stuff only. Then when synchronised the data can be fed back. Say i come across a road without a name on TomTom but i know the name, i can enter the details, this can be stored as a text entry with a location guide and this could be sent back to TomTom. TomTom could then either sell this information back to TeleAtlas (which in time would pass a saving to the customer) or rather trade the information for map updates.

This could function the same was the speed camera POI system works by accepting new data from the clients.

question 2:

Im not certain but at the minute i would guess there isnt a system for updating just a section of a map, this NEEDS to be introduced! When can we expect it?

question 3:

are their any thoughts as to a customer vs map production company contract. I would be willing to pay more if i knew that the maps we have already paid for were to be updated within a minimum time scale. For example, if i spot a new roundabout and inform TeleAtlas about it, i would expect a update available to amend my maps by say 3 months. Does teleatlas have any future ideas that would follow this idea?

ta

the ZC
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could find out a kind of "firm" release date for their alleged .NET-compatible SDK I would be much obliged.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried to move my poi's from Navigon (navteq) to TOMTOM (Tele Atlas). It's amazing how much better quality the Navteq data is.

The accuracy of the road names and the availability of the POI's in Tele Atlas is very poor compared to Navteq.

What are they going to do to improve this?

Chris
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
I've just tried to move my poi's from Navigon (navteq) to TOMTOM (Tele Atlas). It's amazing how much better quality the Navteq data is.

The accuracy of the road names and the availability of the POI's in Tele Atlas is very poor compared to Navteq.

What are they going to do to improve this?

If you could supply me with some specifics I can pose a precise question. You cam email me mike at pocketgpsworld.com if you can take comparative screen shots.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some examples

1. In Navteq the Orient Car park (Trafford Center) is listed. In Teleatlas just the Trafford Center is listed - no detail on parking.

2. Blue Planet Aquarium is listed in Navteq - not in Teleatlas even though the road to it is there.

3. Cannon Hall Mueseum & Gardens present in Navteq - missing in Teleatlas.

4. Central Retail Park (Great Ancoates st - Manchester) present in Navteq - missing in Teleatlas. Even though the road system within the park itself is present.

If you would still like screenshots I'll see what I can do - honestly not sure how to get these from my pocket PC and TOMTOM.

Chris
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
If you could find out a kind of "firm" release date for their alleged .NET-compatible SDK I would be much obliged.

It's out

http://www.tomtom.com/pro/navigatorsdk5.php

I found this on GPS Passion forum
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they supply their map data to any car manufacturers for the built in systems, and if so how often do they update the map data for them.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
nej wrote:

It's out

http://www.tomtom.com/pro/navigatorsdk5.php

I found this on GPS Passion forum

That's just the SDK5 (got it already). Unfortunately it's a complete nightmare to use it from anything other than eVC and I want to either use it from eVB or .NET (either c# or vb.net). They did tell me once that a .NET version would be available in September, but I doubt that date still stands.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to a Teleatlas SDK or a TomTom SDK? This thread is about our visit to Teleatlas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: