Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Orange SPV C550 does any GPS work with this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Orange SPV C550 does any GPS work with this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobsiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Orange SPV C550 does any GPS work with this? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've waited 12 months to change my phone and to have one ready for GPS. I intended first of all to use Co Pilot with an Orange SPV C500. I have however been sold the new SPV C550. Does anybody know if any GPS software/devices work with this phone yet?
Thanks Richard
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get CoPilot - I did and it was a big mistake. Complete rubbish.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more. Compare the level of activity between this and the TomTom group, there's a reason why this group is dead.

As a software engineer myself I would be embarrassed to allow software as flawed as this to be released, I can only assume that it's a project they gave the summer students to play with.
lobsiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting I'll bear that in mind guys. However do you know if the Orange SPV C550 works with any GPS Software.
Thanks
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having one myself I can't give you any guarantees but looking at the spec I can't see why not.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to contact Tom Tom and see what they say.

Also, check out Mapopolis - http://www.mapopolis.com
lobsiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: No commitment Reply with quote

Neither TomTom nor Co Pilot will comit themselves. However both suggest it may possibly work. It could be an expensive way of finding out I think. It looks like I'll have to wait until an update comes out or until I hear of someone who's had some success.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: No commitment Reply with quote

lobsiger wrote:
Neither TomTom nor Co Pilot will comit themselves

That's pretty poor. Did you try Mapopolis? You can get a free 9 day demo and you can play with it even if you don't have a GPS receiver yet.
lobsiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Mapopolis Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy.
Yes many thanks I've checked out the Mapopolis software. However according to a guy at globalpositioningsystems.co.uk it's not very good. i.e. no postcodes, audio etc. Knowing my luck Tom Tom will be compatible after I go for another option :-(
stuartm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No commitment Reply with quote

lobsiger wrote:
Neither TomTom nor Co Pilot will comit themselves. However both suggest it may possibly work. It could be an expensive way of finding out I think. It looks like I'll have to wait until an update comes out or until I hear of someone who's had some success.

In a situation like this I'd be inclined to investigate an 'evaluation' copy.
njsb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.modaco.com/C550_impresions-t222680.html and http://www.modaco.com/C550_and_TomTom-t223051.html TomTom is a no go with the C550. Apparently you just get corrupt screen images.

No comment yet on CoPilot.

The site also provides advice on C500 Sim Locking http://www.modaco.com/C500_SimLock_Toggling_Cost_000-t207545.html to allow developers to make better use of the phone and a by-product is the ability to use the C500 on any network.
agdmwilson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot comment on GPS/550 issue, but want to lend support to CoPilot. Bought it for my C500, and it has just navigated my and family round Europe successfully.
Mothra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lobsiger wrote:
Interesting I'll bear that in mind guys. However do you know if the Orange SPV C550 works with any GPS Software.
Thanks

Yes - the SPV C500 works fine with both TomTom 5 and CoPilot Live. I can't fathom reports to the contrary - I've run both products now without any of the problems described.

I use the GlobalSat GPS BT-338 Reciever, as it will run for 15 hours without needing a recharge and uses the new SiRFstarIII chipset which means I can put it in the glove box and it still gets a fantastic signal.

As for choosing the software, I have found TomTom 5 mobile to offer far better voice commands. CoPilot uses the phrase bear left/right to mean any of 5 or more things, so you end up having to look at the screen a lot more which is of course very dangerous. TomTom, by comparison, will often tell you when you need to change lanes, which is particularly useful when you're navigating an unfamiliar city centre.

The main problems with CoPilot are the fact that the advertised traffic updates, have yet to be made available (after a year) and the telephone support is laughable - they will never answer a query directly and will simply make a false promise to call you back just to get you off the phone. And you can only use the first four digits of a postcode. And you can only enable one type of POI alert at a time. And the maps are way out of date. The list goes on and on, and I have just sent my copy back for a refund today.

The only problem with TomTom is that you are forced to buy their rather pathetic and out-of-date GPS device with it; however, you'll probably find someone guillible enough on eBay to buy it from you! Even if you can't, I reckon it's still worth the extra money for a TomTom paperweight, given how much better the software is than CoPilot.
jeff4896
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the c550 and can't find any software that will support the 320x240 screen resolution. (The c500 has a screen resolution of 220x176) Can't understand why things dont work as the pda's I've looked at will run tomtom and copilot with the 320x240 screen!

Anyone out there know any more?
Apnomis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the SPV C550 has to use the CoPilot Live 5 for POCKET PC's! I know someone that has upgraded his C500 with CoPilot for Smartphones to a C550, he offered to sell me his old version of CoPilot because he had to get the POCKET PC version for his new phone.

I couldn't understand why at the time, and I didn't ask where he got his information from. But if the new C550 has a screen more closely related to a PDA screen and the Pocket PC version supports that res, whereas the Smartphone version doesn't, that could explain his reasoning.

I don't know if it worked out for him, if I speak to him again I'll ask. But it may be worth investigating? Afterall they use the same OS don't they?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: