Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 300/500/700 Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 300/500/700 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabatha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Go 300/500/700 Questions Reply with quote

I am considering changing from a Ipaq/Navman Sleeve setup (V2 software) to a dedicated setup and looked at the Navman 650 but found that the mapping did not cover small roads/streets in the UK.

FIRSTLY: Can you find "The Grove". Hampton In Arden, Solihull, West Midlands B92 on a 300/500/700? I couldn't even find the main road through the village on the Navman 630. What is the street detail like on small town in Sicily like Catania?

SECONDLY: I know the volume of the 300/500/700 increases with speed but can the scale also change with speed? I found this very useful on the IPAQ/Navman as it meant that manual changing of scale was hardly ever needed as it automatically "zoomed in" when slowing down for a road junction and automatically "zoomed out" again when speed increased again.

THIRDLY: I have read that it will accept an external aerial, is this a standard BNC type connector or is it some special Tom Tom interface that locks you to their external aerial.

FINALLY: Most of the reviews I have read are in comparison with the older more "clonky" versions of Tom Tom and complaints about lack of full postcode implementation etc. Would I be disappointed in changing from the Ipaq/Navman setup to a "GO". I am loathe to buy the upgraded V3 map for it if I might be better of with a new set-up completely.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 300/500/700 Questions Reply with quote

tabatha wrote:
FIRSTLY: Can you find "The Grove". Hampton In Arden, Solihull, West Midlands B92 on a 300/500/700?What is the street detail like on small town in Sicily like Catania? I couldn't even find the main road through the village on the Navman 630.

As you didn't give much of a Postcode, and if it's between the A45 and M42 J6 near a railway line, I've found it on my TTGo with the old v3.14 maps.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikeossy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 300/500/700 Questions Reply with quote

tabatha wrote:
THIRDLY: I have read that it will accept an external aerial, is this a standard BNC type connector or is it some special Tom Tom interface that locks you to their external aerial.

FINALLY: Most of the reviews I have read are in comparison with the older more "clonky" versions of Tom Tom and complaints about lack of full postcode implementation etc. Would I be disappointed in changing from the Ipaq/Navman setup to a "GO". I am loathe to buy the upgraded V3 map for it if I might be better of with a new set-up completely.

Many thanks in anticipation.

The external aerial is very much diffrent than that of say the Ipaq and Navman as they 'plug into' the unit, on the tomtom go series it has what they call the 'shoe' or the docking station which the unit clips into, with this you buy a new one which has the external aerial coming out of it, it costs around about £50, so no it doesnt use a bnc type plug.

I doubt you'd be dissapointed with the GO i have used a HP palm with tomtom and had the use of a Navman 650 which I found hard to use compared to tomtom software, and out of all navigation on the market at this price the 700 even looks cheap, Iam actually considering upgrading already!.
The 300 is only £369, and at this price its a steal!.

Mike
InfiniteDreamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if 'THE GROVE' comes of old station road and has a postcode of B92 0HD

then yes 8)
tabatha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfiniteDreamer wrote:
if 'THE GROVE' comes of old station road and has a postcode of B92 0HD then yes 8)

Great Anyone want to comment/answer my other questions?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Go 300/500/700 Questions Reply with quote

tabatha wrote:
SECONDLY: I know the volume of the 300/500/700 increases with speed but can the scale also change with speed? I found this very useful on the IPAQ/Navman as it meant that manual changing of scale was hardly ever needed as it automatically "zoomed in" when slowing down for a road junction and automatically "zoomed out" again when speed increased again.

I hardly ever look at the screen so I can't say for definite. I usually use the 3D view, but my impression is that there is a zooming effect, when approaching the next instruction in 2D view, rather than linked to speed.

tabatha wrote:

As always the finally decision is a personal thing, but having handled both pda and Navman solutions mine was a definite decision to go with a GO.

The all-in-one, plug & play, even with it's well documented 'faults', is a great piece of equipment to use. Frustrating at times, but I wouldn't change it.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Go 300/500/700 Questions Reply with quote

tabatha wrote:
I am considering changing from a Ipaq/Navman Sleeve setup (V2 software) to a dedicated setup and looked at the Navman 650 but found that the mapping did not cover small roads/streets in the UK.

2. Yes, the zoom changes with speed

3. I would love to see a BNC connector on a modern consumer GPS device. Laughing
There is a special base you can buy for GO with a few meters of cable and an SMA connector. It comes with an active 3V/5V antenna. You cannot connect the external antenna directly to the GO
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Go 300/500/700 Questions Reply with quote

tabatha wrote:
What is the street detail like on small town in Sicily like Catania?

Looks quite good detal to me assuming I've got the correct place!
Here are some pics:
A General View:

And a more zoomed in view:

(Note this is not the maximum zoom as this would show a very small area)
tabatha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Stanley - Went out and bought it - better than my Ipaq/Navman combo although I would like to have Greece and can't find it available from TomTom as an option/upgrade. Time to first fix is excellent as is the sensitivity, smooth scrolling and voice volume.
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabatha wrote:
Many thanks Stanley - Went out and bought it - better than my Ipaq/Navman combo although I would like to have Greece and can't find it available from TomTom as an option/upgrade. Time to first fix is excellent as is the sensitivity, smooth scrolling and voice volume.

Take a look at Greece with your GO. Some patches are already there, especially Athens is covered. Most of Greece is still nowhereland. I did not expect anything in this area and just found out by chance.
tabatha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha - Yes I found it now - I tried to find "Athens" but it is called "Athina" - I hope that an upgrade will be available for more details in Greece and the Greek Islands and maybe Cyprus.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: