Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSMap-OS : Freeware GPS Tracker for PocketPC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSMap-OS : Freeware GPS Tracker for PocketPC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shanks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: GPSMap-OS : Freeware GPS Tracker for PocketPC Reply with quote

Just to let you all know that version 1.1 of GPSMap-OS has been released and is available for download FREE from the following page:

http://www.craporola.com/GPSMap.html

The program plots current and historical GPS position on map images in the UK Ordnance Survey projection, of the type now available from http://www.getamap.co.uk for example. It's particularly valuable for geocaching, walking, orienteering, locating caves etc. It's also pretty useful as a portable map viewer even if you don't have a GPS receiver.

The program has been tested successfully on PocketPCs running Windows Mobile 2002, 2003 and 2003SE, and with a variety of GPS receivers.

Go on, give it a try! The program is continually improving, so please post me any experiences, problems and suggestions for change.

Dr. Matt.

Last edited by shanks on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Johnmcl7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of this, my GPS receiver should arrive shortly so I look forward to giving it a go.

John
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Matt,

I'm amazed that you've had so little feedback on your great little program. However, I must admit that I haven't used it much myself for the following reasons:

I have Memory Map for my local region and Fugawi for a larger area (as it was cheaper and the files are more compact). However, the Fugawi PPC application is pants - it doesn't even support the OSGP grid! It would be great if your app. could display .fx4 files, but I guess they're encrypted and copyright :-(

Another time the application would have been useful was on our recent holiday in Korcula, Croatia. The maps were freely available from the net at http://www.korculainfo.com/maps_korcula.htm , but couldn't be calibrated. Firstly of course because the OSGB grid didn't apply, but also because, although the maps carry horizontal and vertical grid lines, they have absolutely no correlation with any known GPS mapping grid!

As soon as we got home I was able to calibrate the maps on my PC with GPSU (using just two of my GPS waypoints that could be related to features on the map). But it would have been great if I could have calibrated the map directly on the PPC when we were there. Calibrating with two diagonal points seemed to work perfectly, although a facility for NW and SE corners was more useful in this particular location.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just found this program. Thanks, it looks just what I am looking for. When I have tested it out I will let you know what I think.

8)
shanks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: New Version Reply with quote

Just a quick note to report that version 1.2 of GPSMap-OS is now available. This release contains several new features including positional accuracy display and improved support for some GPS receivers and PocketPC combinations - now including Windows Mobile 5.0 based devices.

Enjoy,

dr. matt.

Last edited by shanks on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrRobin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DrMatt,

Just downloaded your app GPSMap and run it on a Qtek 2020i + CoPilot Bluetooth GPS Receiver. It works really well and is what I have been looking for. I bought GPSDash which is similar to your app but doesn't have the OSGB which you really need once you go off the map.

I guess my only suggestion would be to add the direction, speed and altitude information to another screen.

Cheers

DrRobin
shanks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion - always very much appreciated. Glad to hear you like the program! A pop-up direction and speed indicator window sounds a good idea - I'll put it on my ToDo list for the next release... Thanks to everyone's suggestions there are now quite a few ToDos to do...

Dr. Matt
morticiaskeeper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks the perfect application for me - but I can't get it to connect to the GPS Sad

Navman PIN 570
Pocket PC version 4.20.0 (build 14133)

When I select connect, nothing happens. I've been through all the COM ports and baud rates, and found out how to turn the gps on from the setting menu, but still nothing.

Anyone had GPS-OS working on the Navman?

Paul
morticiaskeeper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot reccomend this software enough.

I contacted Matt saying it wouldn't work with the PIN570.

He gave me a debugging program, I sent back the log, he made a new version and it works brilliantly.

Well done Matt :D
och
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Just downloaded your programme - it looks exactly what I'm after.

However, when I load a map (downloaded from getamap as a jpg) I get the warning that it's not been calibrated but then the app just displays a blank screen. I connect to the GPS and get a trail just no map underneath it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

och
PaulH66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Mio C510E Reply with quote

Would this work on a Mio C510E ?

It is a Microsoft WinCE .NET 4.2 (Core version) device that can be unlocked.
pmdebenham
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer about C510e is yes.

Longer answer is that there are some issues but these do not stop this marvellous program being used.

Much longer answer is a how-to-get-it-running guide (found via trial and error last night).
1) I assume you have got to the WinCe desktop on your C510e and have the means to transfer files to it (if not soft-reset whilst holding middle two buttons down - that's it, no unlock cabs and Hacked MioTransfer, download ActiveSync 4.2 for your PC, On the C510e via its Windows explorer start \Windows\Repllog.exe). I also assume you know how to get the keyboard up (icon on taskbar).

2) Ensure you have access to packdll.zip and packdllxania.zip as well as RegEdit for Wince (see other discussions on here and gpspassion).

3) Download GPSMap for Pocket PC 2002 (2003 file is not recognised as valid for some reason, let alone runable).

4) Create a directory for GPSMap (e.g. on the SD - this survives further resets). Ensure that the packdll.zip dlls are either in \Windows or the same directory as GPSMap. You also need (I think) zlib and imgdecmp from packdllxania.dll. Again \windows or same directory as GPSMap.

5) Start GPSMap and then exit it again. This creates the program registry.

6) The GPS Settings dialog does not fit onto the C510e screen so do not even try it(soft reset time!). Instead via Regedit find keys under
Cuser\Software\Crapola Software Inc.\GPSMap\Settings
Change key "GPSCOMPort" to 2 (C510e's GPS is on COM2).

You can now click GPS Connect and get a GPS fix.

7) The single-click for cursor is problematical. It ONLY works when you click at the edge of the map screen. Therefore to calibrate map scroll it until the point you want is just off the bottom/top edge of the screen. Then single click just at the boundary and after a little trial and error you will get the point you want selected!

Note: Ensure you know how to get the keyboard up/hidden as you need it to enter the calibration points.

8) Play with taskbar hidden and not hidden until you get a feel you like. The program's info bar does not quite display cleanly but the menu items are fine.

9) Enjoy - it works beautifully within the restrictions above.

Unfortunately I do not currently have access to the embedded Visual Studio tools or I would try and find fixes for the problems. As it is I will do a little more playing and then email Dr. Matt with some clues.

Clearly usual warnings about fiddling with registry editors apply.

I hope this is some use to people. I am certain that Dr. Matt's program will be useful to me.

Cheers,

Peter D.
Sendero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Complete Newbie Reply with quote

Hello to you all,
I'm a complete beginner in all this. I recently got my T Mobile MDA Vario II (Win Mobile 5 based)to be able receive emails on the road and thought "well, throw in CoPilot 6 to help me find places". It works well enough for me but has some shortcomings. For example, I'm not a rambler but do enjoy a stroll in the woods. In unfamiliar circumstances there is no way, that I can see, with CoPilot to follow a footpath or cross open ground.
Is the program which Dr Matt has produced the sort of thing I need to use? Would this (for walking) be in conjunction with CoPilot or instead of it.
Any help gratefully received.
Regards
Greg
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, Co-Pilot is for use in the car and will try to lock to the nearest road, as do most car based navigation software products.
For walking you need a topographical map, this application will do what you want however you will need to either download small maps from OS (as mentioned and linked to above) or scan a map you own into a compatable format and use that (once calibrated).
For the price (its free) you cannot beat this, other Topo map software providers are in the market, and they work very well with the PDA/ PDA based phone - but you have to pay for the electronic map, which can be used on the PC and/ or PDA device. - Mike
Sendero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks (again) for this full and helpful reply.
I'll download the software and try it out at a non-critical time. I'm always nervous with PDA's as it seems to take very little to upset them and the link to my email is crucial.
I'm not clear - from some of the exchanges here (and similar fora) it looks like there may (technically) be a licensing issue with using OS map or downloads. Is this your understanding ?
Regards
Greg

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: