Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 Reply with quote

Just as I thought. The problem with beaming from a PDA is it's really slow. Bluetooth for the price would have been much better!
sparks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 Reply with quote

tasdisr,

Yes, you did not mention that. I have not tried that yet. I downloaded the maps to the card plugged into the Navman. It's supposed to be a lot faster going to the card reader. At the time I was doing it, my card reader was not recognized by Windows XP, which happens on occasion. I didn't feel like restarting windows.

sparks
Occasional Visitor

I think you will find that the maps load quicker from the main memory. I was loading maps from both the main memory and the card, which may be why it took longer. I was loading more data.

I have been having problems with the recalc on one particular road in my area, which happens to be a main road in Monmouth County, New Jersey. If I do not follow the Navmans directions when I am on this road, it has a problem recalculating a new route. It keeps cycling over and over again, until I am about a mile or two down the road, then it finally figures out a new route.

I tested it again on my way home last night, I deliberately made a lot of wrong turns. Here's what I found:

Every time I went the wrong way, the ICN 630 recalculated the route in 2/10ths of a mile or less, at 40-50 mph. At 25 mph, it took about 1/10th of a mile. BUT, when I got to that same stupid road that caused the problem in the first place, it again had trouble finding a new route, until I turned off that road about one mile later, then it recalculated the route perfectly.

I guess there is a problem with this road. I'll have to do more testing to see if it is the whole road, or just that area of the road, which I believe is the case.

As an aside, the ICN 630 calculated a better route for me to my office than my Lexus unit, but the Lexus unit has a couple of options for shortest, quickest, and alternate, that I could change to see if I like the route better. The Lexus unit also recalculates instantly, but costs about three times what the Navman costs.

That's my findings to date. So far, I'm pretty happy with the Navman, as none of these GPS units, built-in or otherwise are perfect.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

I've just recieved my iCN630 today and initial impressions are very good.

It works in my Audi, which I was slightly worried about as its meant to have thermal glass - but it gets a perfect lock on upto 9 satalites with the antena up and over 4 with it flat to the unit.

It has shown my speedo to be about 5mph or so low at around 70mph! Probably normal to try and keep peoples speed down

I'm very impressed with the screen update time - about once a second. I saw a Streetpilot and that update time was very poor in comparison.

Re-routing appears very fast - once its got the idea that you arn't going back down the slip road to rejoin the motorway!

Seems to have less options in terms of vehicle type which may put off truckers if they get routed down a small side street.

I too notice the time it takes to load the maps from the SD card, so I might move them to the inbuilt memory and see what happens.

I haven't had chance to look too much at the instructions, can you download your own POI's? For example the speed camera database?

Very nice peice of kit!

Mark

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

Sparks,

I would get an authentication error that said my software needed to be activated. The software was activated, so I did a renistall and reactivated it

and still have the problem from time to time. I was

told by support that the software update would take

care of the problem.

tadsisr
sparks
Occasional Visitor

tasdusr,

What were the issues with downloading maps to the SD cards? I received the updated software and although it takes a while to download the maps to the SD card in the unit, I had no problems.

I did notice that it takes the Navman much longer to start up when you have maps loaded on the SD card. Consequently, I'll be leaving the card out of the unit, unless I need the maps I've stored on it.
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

I recently purchased the ICN-630 and have some minor issues downloading maps on to SD Cards. Navman support

was contacted and is sending me new software.

tasdisr
Jason B
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by sparks on 02 June 2003

Dave,

Here in the US the difference in price, comparing the lowest price I could find for both, is about $156 US.

Paul

Well, I can beat that difference. I found a place that I can buy the Garmin III deluxe for $639 after all the REBATES!!! Now which one is the better deal for that price? I've been looking at both, and the Garmin seems to be the way to go and comes with EVERYTHING you need.
WhiteWolf
Occasional Visitor

Hi all

I have read Dave's review but can't say that I agree on everything. I have used an icn630 for a month now and have also owned a streetpilot. I can't even compare them! Not a single thing is better with streetpilot (remember that SPIII is a three years old product..)the screen, the routing (half the time),back-on-track function DOES work on icn, with the SPIII I almost had to stop my car before I got rid of the "yellow" screen which apared when it calc.

And if you don't want to have on the windscreen, the unit comes with a mountingbracket for a dashboard mount.

Ok,it's comes with a higher price, but you get what you pay for...

Should I complain of anything -it would have been nice if the unit suported USB 2.0 since it takes loooong time

to install the maps. And also, why do you have to activate the software? You can't use the SW on any other device anyway?..

Regards

WhiteWolf

belobe
Occasional Visitor

Hello to everyone

Im from spain and this is the only forum about navman icn630 i've found.

I've got few questions i hope you could answer me,

1) When you use de CD that comes with the ICN, and you use the search option in maps, depending of the region you choose, only a few cities appear, when there are much more towns in that same region, my question is if the ICN only detects (or takes you) to the locations of the seach, or it can take you to more towns than the ones that the search offer (i dont mean in-town street guidance, only if it is able to take you to a specific town)

thank you very much
Dave
Frequent Visitor

kevmac, the updates I believe will be available for download, and now that Navman have a stable GPS engine, I'm sure these will start coming through in months to come.

anglefire, you can't. Unfortunately you have to wait for the Mapping companies to update and re-map those areas of the country, then to provide the maps to their clients, eg Navman and they will then distribute the new maps. This process currently is seen on an annual basis, so expect not to see any updates in the current versions for a while! The updates also usually come out as a newer product/model, but in the terms of the iCN630, I suspect if there isn't a newer model around in a years time, then upgraded CD's will be available.
sparks
Occasional Visitor

Kevmac,

I have not idea when Navman UK will provide updates. I found that calling them provides much better information than their website. The US website shows no update available, yet when you call them, one is available.

I agree with you that a simple upload should provide a fix for the algorithms, but that is not the way it is being handled. Maybe that haven't figured out how to copy protect the software from a download. Navman claims you need the keycode for all new updates. Just a guess, even though it doesn't make sense to me.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

One question, which is relavent to all nav systems.

I live near Birmingham - and as you will know, they are building a new motorway - the roadworks I drive though every day.

How do you update the maps to take this sort of thing into account? Is it a free update?

Mark
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

Sparks or Dave,

Any idea when Navman Europe will send updated discs or release a new software upgrade to owners over this side of the pond?

Navman UK's website is always out of date - they don't even have the iCN 630 on their registration page yet.

The U.S site is much more comprehensive but obviously with a Stateside slant.

BTW Now that I think of it: Wouldn't new discs just contain updated maps - a software download would be the required fix that would amend any bad routing algorithms?
sparks
Occasional Visitor

OK, I just got off the phone with Navman USA. They are sending me new discs with updated software. The tech said that should solve my problem with the route recalculation.

I asked about the infrared window, and he told me that was for future upgrades. I asked about a possible remote, and he said yes or maybe the ability to beam from a PDA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: