Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 Reply with quote

Quote: Originally posted by sparks on 12 June 2003

tasdusr,

What were the issues with downloading maps to the SD cards? I received the updated software and although it takes a while to download the maps to the SD card in the unit, I had no problems.

I did notice that it takes the Navman much longer to start up when you have maps loaded on the SD card. Consequently, I'll be leaving the card out of the unit, unless I need the maps I've stored on it.

tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: Navman iCN630 Reply with quote

Sparks,

I did find a workaround. It seems that as long as I have the Navman connected to the computer and powered on, the maps will download to the SD card in my reader.

I guess when it goes to authenticate the software it must get the info from the Navman itself. It is much quicker downloading with the card reader. I did call

tech support to tell them what I found. Hope this helps.

I am running Windows XP
anglefire
Regular Visitor

Does anyone know the latest release of software?

I only ask because like most people I guess I used the iCN630 to get me home down a route I often go - and followed its suggestion for the shortest route - and it took me down a very narrow lane - which was also about a mile farther than the route I would have normally taken!

I was wondering if there is an update to sort these minor amonilies out!

Mark.

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

From my usage Shortest Route really means Shortest Main Road Route - it never takes the shorter back roads that would make more sense.

I wonder does it behave like this on Pocket PCs?
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

Installing to a USB card reader is grease lightening. Give it a go, you'll be well pleased.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I've just looked at the thread on the SP1 update for the SmartST and I notice that the route is cancelled about 100ft or so from the end. Not something I'd thought about before but I can see a use for it!

Just a quicky regarding the auto-reroute facility - is there an equivent you can do on the iCN to make it re-calculate? I've noticed that if you decide to change from shortest to quickest route (Shame its not got a avoid motorways option!) and already have a programmed destination, it carries on as previously set!

Mark
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

It seems that you have to re-enter the route with the different parameters to get a change in route
jDude
Occasional Visitor

anglefire - I believe the latest version is 1.1.3.

all - I had mine for about 5 days now... it gives me inaccurate directions for this one specific trip:

I programmed the route to my parents from my home, my address is not showing up correctly (it's Place not Lane).

It took me to my parents with out any problem, except it is off by about 500 ft. It didn't say "destination" until I passed by 4th or 5th houses. (I was just wondering where it would take me).

and on the way home, when I exit their street, I could just make a left and immediately andother left to get on the main road, it took me around the back (very very large loop, couple of lefts, rights, eventually on to the main road - but this could also be shortened as well, it didn't need to go that far down the neighborhood). When I got home, it said destination about 300 ft infront of my house (this is alway the case, from anywhere).

how interesting.

just want to share this with you all, not complaining.

I guess when you know the area really well, it makes the unit totally inaccurate, it will get you to where you want, perferable somwehere you have no clue. besides, my car already has GPS, this just a toy.

j

anglefire
Regular Visitor

I've been messing around with my new iCN and was wondering if I could in

effect add waypoints to a route so that I could influence the route to go in

a general direction. This appears to work ok, at least with one intermediate

point added.

I can find nothing in the manual for this feature. Can anyone give a little

advice!

Mark.

(Ps also posted on the sci.geo.satellite-nav forum) But this seems a more friendly one!)
anglefire
Regular Visitor

I've just checked the software version on mine and its 0.5.2 dated 3/4/03. But I am in the UK so it may be different to the US one?

Mark.
jDude
Occasional Visitor

I bought an 256MB SD together with the unit, about 1 1/2 hr ago, I loaded 1/2 of the entire eastcoast USA map on to the SD media.

It took forever to copy from Washington DC, all the way up to New York (it takes avg of 20 minutes per state) it took more than 1 hr to load the maps using USB cable.

The unit took about 1 minute 25 seconds to load up.

Now, everthing you do in the menu is sigificantly slower.

I suppose, I am ready to take a long trip to somwhere in the New York?

One thing I found with the unit in map mode, it shows:

-

ft

on the lower left hand corner (basically distance to destination), and you can't change it to display something more useful .. I like to see that when it's guiding me, but when it's not, I like to see something else displayed. I had to create a route, change it to say, display speed, then cancel the route.

j
jDude
Occasional Visitor

hey all, just go this:

(While in the menu, changing settings...)

Applicatoin Error

code\navigator\gui\unstable\apps\guiex.c

LINE: 449    TEST: GET_WINODWS(res) == NULL

Problem creating new GUI windows. an instance alread

my 1st nasty crash.

j
anglefire
Regular Visitor

From what I can gather, a patch is expected sometime in August which should address the querky routing problems and hopefully add the ability to have waypoints to customise the route.

There is also a new version out sometime in September. Not too sure what will be in that - but new features are promised.

Mark
jDude
Occasional Visitor

updates?

That would be nice, I got lost to my own home twice this week following iCN's direction. It makes me make left turn    on street that doesn't exit .. and the house is cleariy on the opposite direction.

anglefire
Regular Visitor

Its always got me to where I want to go.

Down some very narrow lanes sometimes!

I wonder if its the iCN or the maps? Surely they must go hand in hand?

The only mapping problems I've seen (And I haven't looked other than the places I've been) are one road that does exist but is actually private and gated, and anotherone that is shown as a motorway and its not.

I see that you are in the States, I wonder if that makes a difference (Mapping front) And the software version on my unit is dated April, the American ones seem to be May.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: