Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route 66 Mobile Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route 66 Mobile Europe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Route 66 Mobile Europe Reply with quote

I've just bought the above as I'm off on hols soon and wanted Euopean maps to use. So I thought I'd look over here to see any extra info.

The thing that strikes me is the lack of activity here compared to TomTom Mobile (which I also have). I wonder why do Route 66 users have no problems or is it less popular ? There seems to be a bigger range, ie European maps.

Well I guess I'll be4 back once I've used it a bit, but I do wonder how other find it ?

Mel
jayd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had TomTom already i fear you wasted your money as you can get the european maps for tomtom as well.
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be really interesting to hear your opinion of route 66, please!!!
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayd wrote:
If you had TomTom already i fear you wasted your money as you can get the european maps for tomtom as well.

For TTM ? Because I was told I couldn't, but could for TomTom3, there is a way to jig them to work I think, but I thought I'd try Route 66 as they are actually there for the mobile already. And by the time I'd upgraded to TTM5 and bought TT Europe maps and messed about, the Route 66 complete package was not so bad a price. I also get free traffic via GPRS, another saving and their site actually has most of the info there rather than "coming soon" or similar as on TomTom. I have downloaded the updates for Route66 from the website and I got all this in one day, not the 3 weeks plus you chaps waiting for TTM5 seem to have to put up with. I asked TomTom about this and release dates over 10 days ago as yet no answer. So far the experiance with Route66 has been good, now for the software etc.

We shall see I might hate it (oh I hope not)

Mel
jayd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definatly for Tomtom mobile.
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayd wrote:
Yes definatly for Tomtom mobile.

Well too late now Smile I wonder where you buy them then ?

Mel
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got as far as opening the box now.

First impressions are good, looks like i have everything I will need A copy CD of maps etc 256 RS-MMC card (enough for two countries ?), USB card reader , car charger, mount for the phone, a really neat GPS and a lanyard (not quite sure why I need that !)

That is several items up on the TomTom box, eg USB reader and phone holder. I think you only get a CD of the manuals as well don't you & a 128 card with TomTom, I know I moved it straight onto to a bigger card anyway? I'd have to check in fairness. OK it isn't all the world I already have a phone holder and my computer has an intergral card reader. BUT I can take this little baby with me when I travel and if needs be add maps from the laptop now. Also I guess not everyone has these things already so definatly a bonus I think.

It was suggested I'd wasted my money. I'm not that convinced. After all the Europe maps for TomTom run at £79-99 and the TTM5 upgrade is about £50, plus a bigger card at £24 , USB reader £7 car mount £12. Which I make about £173 already. IF I'd gone the TomTom route I'd also have wanted a newer GPS at another £50 or so. Which is pretty much what I've paid for the Route 66, plus I still have TomTommobile 4 to sell or give to somebody else.

Actually running it now needs to be as good as TomTom, more later.

Mel
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does route 66 works fast enought, rerouting and does it takes account of the traffic into the route?
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramzez wrote:
does route 66 works fast enought, rerouting and does it takes account of the traffic into the route?

Er give me a chance I've not gone anywhere yet Smile)

Mel
jayd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only meant you wasted your money if you soley bought it for the euro maps. Having tried both i must say though that the tomtom interface and software is a lot more polished the R66. Saying that, R66 is still an excellent piece of kit, so really you win either way.
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayd wrote:
I only meant you wasted your money if you soley bought it for the euro maps. .

bUT where can you get these maps ? my dealer said catagorically there were no European maps for TTM yet

jayd wrote:
Having tried both i must say though that the tomtom interface and software is a lot more polished the R66. Saying that, R66 is still an excellent piece of kit, so really you win either way.

Not sure quite what you mean by polished.

Tried this one out on a few short journeys I did today

Like TT its X country navigation is poor, but might be beter if I selected shortest rather than fastest.

I like the choice of modes eg car fastest/shortest and lorry (given I drive both this will be good I hope, wonder if it takes low bridges into consideration ?)

Recalculation seems about the same.

I like the setting of several waypoints on your journey, this is more like hiking nav stuff so I didn't find that a problem, and it could be useful.

I like the access to your contacts and their addresses, although it didn't like many of mine I suspect it is because the database is old and info in the wrong fields . all newer inputs were fine.

POI is good

I like the setting of speeds (eg motorway 75, alarm speeds etc)

I especially like the compass GPS selection and the bigger more visible time to destination , speed and number of satalites.

Actually I've found lots I like, which given I'm more used to TT was unexpected.

Oh yes Exit is easier than with TTM which is nice.

Only dislike so far is the lack of a choice of a male voice, that might be a genes thing what do most people choose same sex or opposite sex voices ?

Mel
bigswede
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Any more experience ? Reply with quote

Have you been able to test your setup futher ?
I'm looking at the European 2006 version and is interested in any experience you might have with your setup :D

Regards
BigSwede
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the set up no problems Only hate I have is the one choice of voice

Mel
ramzez
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you give pros and cons compared to tomtom?
Melismobile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Route 66 2005 compared to TomTom Mobile 4

Pros

You get all the Europe maps
Free traffic
card reader for you MMC
The GPS is smaller & neater
Links into your address book
you can set car, lorry etc and you speeds(plus alarms)
You can exit the program easily
Car mount
bigger card supplied

Cons

Lack of voice choices.

Pretty much what I've said before !

Mel

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: