Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - etrex Vista C questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

etrex Vista C questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
booboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: etrex Vista C questions Reply with quote

Just bought one for my cycling, and I'm having great difficulty with the following:

When I set the unit to 'follow roads' as the guidance method, it comes up with 'Route Calculation Error: No roads near starting point'.

I cannot get the display to preview or show turns on screen as per the manual (To Preview the turns for an Active Route:)

Basically I want to plot in a route, clip the unit to my bike and follow the turn by turn directions. I was told this unit was perfect for this, so what am I doing wrong?

Any help much appreciated!!!!
cheys03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Etrex Vista C today (also for cycling) and have exactly the same problem! It's sooo annoying. I've even updated the software to 2.10. If I find a solution I'll post it here. Please do likewise.

Many thanks,
Chris
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you loaded the maps from Mapsource ? Can you see any roads on the map display?
cheys03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah plenty of maps in the unit, displayed correctly - wish is was that simple! (although the "include route calculation data" checkbox is greyed out on my copy of MapSource. Can anyone tell me for certain if this is the reason? I have moved several miles and tried numerous routes, both created using the unit itself and Metroguide Europe V6. I have loaded the relavent maps onto the unit, updated the unit's software and have tried a full reset.

Going to phone Garmin this morning. It's probably something very very simple
Confused
cheys03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Garmin tell that Metroguide Europe V6 is not suitable for use with this unit and I should go and purchase City Select Europe.

Grrrr! Evil or Very Mad

Booboo, are you also using Metroguide Europe V6?

cheers
booboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have the exact same set up as you (including the update).

If what you say about Metroguide 6 is true I'm very angry, 100 quid is a lot to spend on something that's no use Crying or Very sad

How much we talking for the RIGHT software?
cheys03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as though it's bad news I'm afraid. Sad

I'm now convinced that the reason we're experiencing the error is because MetroGuide Europe does now support Autorouting. (second phone call the Garmin conforms.)

The software we do need (Mapsource CitySelect Europe V6) is not sold on it's own here in the UK !!! Garmin UK themselves gave me an independent Canadian website to order from! But works out at about £250inc. postage! Expansys UK sell the software as part of a kit for the Garmin 60C, at £220. Navcity.co.uk have the same kit for £205. Ebay's always an option at around £190 inc. del. but all based in the US with high probability of customs charging VAT upon UK entry.

I bought my Vista C over eBay so hope I can come to arrangment with supplier as they sold the unit with the wrong software.

My advice is return your software pronto and get money back.
I'll post any additional info as I learn it.

Cheers,
Chris
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroGuide Europe doesn't have the autorouting information, you must have City Select Europe (City Navigator is also autorouting but it's not recommended for this model GPS). Crying

I know it's cold comfort but, Garmin's website has a list of recommended mapsource products for your GPS in the cartography section.

If you brought your unit from a UK retailer then return it saying that it is not the correct software for the GPS. If they are a decent retailer then they will probably exchange it for you.

Certainly, if they sold it as a bundle then you have a reasonable case for arguing that the software is not "fit for purpose" (ie, not listed as being compatible on the Garmin website) as required under UK consumer law.

Let us know how you get on!
booboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info follows:

OK so now I know the software isn't auto routing, I had a look to see what else I could do with it.

I plotted a route from home (Bradford) round Otley and outskirts using main roads and back lanes of just over 34 miles (more about the actual plotting later). I did this on the PC using the routing tool, then transferred it to my VistaC.

Fixing the unit to my bike handlebars, I put the compass on screen and set off, following the red pointer direction arrow. As I approached each designated waypoint the unit would beep to alert me, a really good feature. The direction arrow is very easy to see and follow, even if (as I did) you overshoot a junction it's very clear you have done so and if you continue off course it will re-direct you. I deliberately went off-route to see if this worked and sure enough I was quickly back on course without doing U-turns.

Another really useful feature is the proximity alarm, set this to a suitable distance from your destination(s) and the unit alerts you when you reach this proximity circle - brilliant!

The unit worked flawlessly, but I did pick up one important bit of info: when you set your route, don't click the waymark on the turn itself, instead click a little before the turn and slightly after. The compass will then show the turn before you reach it, as I remarked earlier I didn't do this initially and overshot a few roundabouts because I was travelling a little too fast.
Also there is no need to add waymarks on long stretches of roads with no turnings (unless of course you want the audible warnings).

So in conclusion, using the VistaC as above it's probably even better than having a graphical turn on screen - the compass really is so easy to see even when travelling at high speed. OK so you don't get the autorouting feature, but to be honest as a cyclist this is the most likely way I will do my routes anyway!

So I'm now happy, the unit is brilliant and the software can be used efectively.

Hope this helps....
Mikeelawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: So Annoyed Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I have bought this product with the intention of using Auto routing. It shows it in the manual, have put the question back to Garmin about what they are going to do about this.

Mike
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Vista C and City Navigator Europe Reply with quote

Sorry to see so many people caught out by Garmin's not-too-clear information.

As a long time user of a Garmin Streetpilot 3 and a plain old Vista, I know all about Garmin's byzantine combinations of software and hardware. The software that has auto-routing (City Nav and City Select) are expensive and in use, locked to specific electronic units.

I upgraded to the Vista C to use the second, unused "unlock" available with the City Nav software that came with the Streetpilot. Contrary to the Garmin recommendations, I have found the software works very well. The only problem I can foresee is that the 24 MB capacity of the Vista C may not be able to accomodate all the map tiles if a journey impinges across several tiles. Full Streetpilot auto-routing on the handlebars of a bicycle! Brilliant!
ShadyGPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info on city select Europe is in the Garmin site but not the easiest place to find

But...the cheapest place I've found city select Europe was https://www.aspidshop.com/export/store/product_info.php?products_id=280&PHPSESSID=438d8da9f83d3ad478d3f09bdbc5eebc&currency=GBP

I know its another big spend but it really is a fantastic bit of software, hope this helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: