Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG 700 - surely this cannot be right?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG 700 - surely this cannot be right?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: TTG 700 - surely this cannot be right? Reply with quote

I was just about to order a TTG 700 but someone has said it will not hold the map of the USA if you have Europe on there or vice versa.

So this means if I go to Florida on a 2 week fly drive my TTG is useless unless I uninstall all the European mapping and then install the USA mapping then on my return to the same again

Surely this cannot be right? By buying the high end product I have all this hassle???? I might be looking toward a 500 when the stock finally shows and just switching memory cards.

Also do the 300/500/700 have improved screens when it comes to sunlight?

thanks

rich
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying all along that a GO 700 is a bad idea unless you have a 20 GB hard disk. Go for the 500 !

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about if I just want to load say florida or another single US state - would this fit on?

cheers

rich
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or why don't you just get a 5GB drive installed ;-) ?
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Or why don't you just get a 5GB drive installed ;-) ?

Because these drives are not available in retail stores but only as bulk electronic components for hardware manufacturers? We yet have to see how the existing drive is mounted into the GO 700 and whether you would need an SMD soldering station to remove it.
THEN you can think about buying a 5GB drive CompactFlash card and peel off the housing to get hold of the hidden treasure.

Maybe they just implemented an internal CF socket to plug in a common CF-drive, but I'm not convinced until I get mine to take apart.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a CF socket at the moment...
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

would still like a response if the screens are better in sunlight on the new GO's? - thanks 8)

Also would a saving grace of the 700 be that you could, via the USB port, attach an SD card reader with say the maps of the USA - woul d this work?

thanks

rich
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

Does this mean that "once out of warranty" I could open it up and substitute a CF Memory Card or Microdrive?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
Also would a saving grace of the 700 be that you could, via the USB port, attach an SD card reader with say the maps of the USA - would this work?

I very much doubt it.

If the USB facility works in the same way as it does on the Classic, it enables the TTG to act - in slave mode - as a card read/write device (or external disk drive if you prefer) when connected to a computer. It doesn't permit an external USB drive to be connected to TTG - nor can TTG navigate when in USB mode.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

That's great news, as it still provides "easy" upgrade for the world-travellers.

You did open it yourself or did you rely on other information? Can you post some images - maybe on the OpenTom Wiki Hardware-Page
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
If the USB facility works in the same way as it does on the Classic, it enables the TTG to act - in slave mode - as a card read/write device (or external disk drive if you prefer) when connected to a computer. It doesn't permit an external USB drive to be connected to TTG - nor can TTG navigate when in USB mode.

This has been solved in the past for the classic by either do a little soldering in an attached USB hub (not in the GO!) and the USB port can be set to master by means of software running on the GO hardware too. Certainly the TTG application would have to make use of this and THAT is nothing one could manipulate from the outside (now).
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfreak wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:

This has been solved in the past for the classic by either do a little soldering in an attached USB hub (not in the GO!) and the USB port can be set to master by means of software running on the GO hardware too. Certainly the TTG application would have to make use of this and THAT is nothing one could manipulate from the outside (now).

Now you've totally confused me! OK, you may be able to get TTG to act as master rather than slave when running a Linux kernel rather than the TTG application - but does this help the OP?

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
OK, you may be able to get TTG to act as master rather than slave when running a Linux kernel rather than the TTG application - but does this help the OP?

Sorry if I caused any confusion. The TTG is based on an adapted Linux Kernel 2.6 for which TT had to release the source code. Any Linux geek can jump in and do whatever the hardware permits and for that one master/slave operation on the USB port is not an issue.

The file "ttsystem" that you find on the SD card is a mountable Linux file-system which consists of the boot loader, drivers and finally the navigation application. It is possible to take this image apart and change parts of it, like adding enhanced drivers or loading additional background processes - after all it is just like any other computer running Linux.

On the other hand, as long as TT does not look for an external drive from within the navigation application, you would gain nothing when you attach an external drive successfully. So far this is only of academic interest and a playground for freaks.

But as time advances, those freaks might make something usefull out of this for our benefit. A rudimentary "media player" has already been made, as well as a GPS-tracker. One main problem will be to convince the navigation application to leave some spare place on the screen, in any menu or elsewhere to make such tools available during navigation.

For the PDA versions there has been released an SDK, for the GO we still have to see one. TotalPDA lists for the GO 300: "Software Development Kit (SDK) Available", so maybe it WILL eventually. Even if not, the V5.xx software versions were made to cosnolidate the GO and PDA software into one "compatible" release, so having a look on a V5.xx SDK for the PDA version might provide some essentials for "PlugIn" programming for the GO.

Don't expect something within the near future, but keep an eye open.

To come back to the harddisk: If it is indeed a "normal" CF-Drive, then you might read about "how to rip apart a 'Creative Zen Micro' -6GB audio player and exchange the drive in the GO 700" within the next few weeks.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfreak wrote:
Sorry if I caused any confusion - etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrummyGit wrote:
Eldar wrote:

Does this mean that "once out of warranty" I could open it up and substitute a CF Memory Card or Microdrive?

I don't think you would be able to install a CF card, but you should be able to change a Microdrive for a Not-so-Micro drive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: