Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchased new Streetpilot C320 this weekend
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchased new Streetpilot C320 this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Purchased new Streetpilot C320 this weekend Reply with quote

I just got myself a Streetpilot C320 this weekend. I have upgraded from the Streetpilot III, having owned that for 3.5 years.

Thinks I like about the 320:

It is much smaller and lighter than the SP3, it weighs about 300g(1/10 the weight of a laptop).

The mount is fantastic. It is a very small and light windscreen mount, which you can attach in seconds. I leave the unit in its mount when it is put in the Garmin canvas bag, which I purchased separately.

The sound is fantastic, at full volume it is as loud as a car stereo, the unit has two speakers. The volume wheel is also excellent.

The new 3D maps are graphically excellent, they remind me of a sony playstation game, with the 360 degree map turning as you turn.

All UK maps are included on an SD card, so no map loads necessary. European maps are also included on the CDs.

Things I didnt like:

Garmin have taken away some of the functions I used to like on the SP3. You can only have 1 route at a time! A strange addition, given that the SP3 could handle multiple routes.

Auto reroute cannot be disabled. Personally, I dont like auto reroute and like to do it manually. I prefer to stick to a pre planned route.

The satellite detection view has been simplified to a small bar at the top left of the screen. It is a simple 5 bar system like a mobile phone. I used to like the screen on the SP3, where you could see how many satelites locked, and their relative strengths.

The supplied mapsource is only for map uploads, you cannot do routes on the PC. Again, I liked PC route planning on the SP3.

Overall:

It is strange that Garmin chose to remove some of the excellent functionality of the SP3. However, this unit is a major move forward, when compared to the SP3, and I like it a lot. I am glad I bought this, rather that a Tomtom Go or Navman ICN510.

Has anyone else bought a C320 yet?
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add:

Route planning and in car navigation can be done from battery. Strangely though, garmin have hard wired the cigarette lighter adapter into the mount-a bit pointless for battery operation. I dont have a major problem with that though, given how good the unit is.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ross, I was looking at a Garmin to possibly replace my CP5 and 2210 but I like the PC planning ability of Co Pilot 5. So shame, but thanks anyway

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: