Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brodit mount for Mazda MX-5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brodit mount for Mazda MX-5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon_Jabachjabic
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Brodit mount for Mazda MX-5 Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am currently driving a Volvo C70 convertible with TomTom 3 running on an XdaII and a Silver Shield powered/ext speaker mount (from PDAMods.com) vent-mounted (but with cable ties rather than with the fiddly clips that came with it). I have been very happy with this arrangement, except that in practice I don't use the external speaker, having found the voice instructions quite loud enough with the roof up (and even with it down a voice instruction is enough of a cue to make me take a look at the map).

Well, it's time to change cars and I'm going to be getting a Mazda MX-5 in the next few weeks. I don't think that I will be able to strap the backplate for my Silver Shield mount to the vent in the MX-5 because it's nowhere near flat as it is in the Volvo, so I'm looking at a Brodit mount (without external speaker this time) which would be fitted to the left-hand side of the central console on a level with the radio/CD player. My wife has a similar mount in her Renault Scenic, and it is brilliant.

However, given the 'compact' size of the MX-5 cockpit, I'm a little concerned that the Brodit might intrude too much into any passenger's knee-room.

Are there any PocketGPS-ers out there who are using such a mount? If so, a photo would be very welcome (PM me or post here) - as will any other solutions for mounting PDAs in the MX-5.

Also, how difficult would it be to hard-wire the mount into the car without causing any damage (it will be a lease car)? - given that the cigar lighter socket is on the opposite side of the console from the mount, near the gear lever and I am concerned that the curly cable or adapter plug might interfere with gear changing? I don't think that there is an accessory 12v plug in the MX-5 1.8i Sport - although I am open to contradiction from those in the know!

Any and all contributions gratefully received.

Leon
Leon_Jabachjabic
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the top.

Aren't there any MX-5 drivers out there?

Leon 8)
northants_guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for going off topic, but you must have got a good price for the mx5 if you could emigrate to turkey on the proceeds! ;)
Leon_Jabachjabic
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Brodit mount for Mazda MX-5 Reply with quote

Hi Turbo

Thanks for your input. The mount to the left of the audio console sounds pretty much like what I am planning to get. Shame about the photo - but a couple of questions nonetheless:

1. Did the PDA or mount obstruct the knee room of a passenger?

2. Was yours hard-wired or plugged into the cigar lighter socket? If the latter, did the cable or adapter plug get in the way? If the former, was it difficult to fit and did it involve any 'modifications' to the interior trim?

Cheers mate

Leon 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: