Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USB Cable, software and connections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USB Cable, software and connections
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToneLoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: USB Cable, software and connections Reply with quote

Got the USB connecting cable, but struggling to find a Cigarette Lighter to USB convertor (like I have with the Belkin IPAQ sync/charge cable).

Does anybody know where I can buy these from? I was hoping RS or Maplins, but neither seem to.

Also, Can anyone recommend software for "fiddling" with these units. I have read on the web ways of getting the SIRF chipsets to speed up aquisitions, extend battery life etc but not sure what to look for!

Tony

O O

|

\_/
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: USB Cable, software and connections Reply with quote

Try PC-Mobile

You won't be able to tweak battery life, you can change which sub protocols are displayed like GPGSA, GPGSV in NMEA, and you can change various speeds but this isn't changing the settings within the GPS receiver, only changing what you will see when you output them to a laptop or PDA. WinFast Navigator which is available on our downloads page is a good program for fiddling.
ToneLoc
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the info.

What about u-centre which I've read about?

Also, is SIRF more than just the chip-set? And if so, how do I get the SmartGPS to work in Sirf, rather than NMEA?

And will this software you mention allow me to activate WAAS (EGNOS?) on the unit?

All these questions, feel like my 4 year old! ;¬)

O O

|

\_/
Dave
Frequent Visitor

You should be able to switch the GPSmart into SiRF, I'm not sure if it's in a menu or configurable externally like most receivers, Mike should be able to give you a hint on this as he's currently reviewing one.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by ToneLoc on 10 May 2003

Got the USB connecting cable, but struggling to find a Cigarette Lighter to USB convertor (like I have with the Belkin IPAQ sync/charge cable).

Does anybody know where I can buy these from? I was hoping RS or Maplins, but neither seem to.

Also, Can anyone recommend software for "fiddling" with these units. I have read on the web ways of getting the SIRF chipsets to speed up aquisitions, extend battery life etc but not sure what to look for!

Tony

You did not make it clear but it sounds like you have a USB GPS you want to use it with your IPAQ?

NO CAN DO !

If that is your intention, do not waste your time.
Don Schmitt
Occasional Visitor

As to extending battery life, isn't that theoretically possible by putting the receiver into TricklePower mode? Not that I've successfully done this yet .

Blackfish Software

<a target="_blank" href= "http://www.blackfishsoftware.com">Pin Distance</a> - Know your distance to the green
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Pc-Mobile on 13 May 2003

You did not make it clear but it sounds like you have a USB GPS you want to use it with your IPAQ?

NO CAN DO !

If that is your intention, do not waste your time.

Sorry, I did not realise that this topic was under Fortuna GPS.

Please ignore the comments.
ToneLoc
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Don Schmitt on 13 May 2003

As to extending battery life, isn't that theoretically possible by putting the receiver into TricklePower mode? Not that I've successfully done this yet .

From other reviews I've read on this unit it appears to not accept trickle mode.

O O

|

\_/
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

In my manual there is absolutly no info about any "internal" settings. So it is difficult to know what will and wont work. There is always the risk of getting the unit into a state that cannot be revovered so be carefull when fiddling around.
Don Schmitt
Occasional Visitor

You guys are right. I checked with Fortuna, and they say there is no way to make GPSmart support TricklePower mode.

Blackfish Software

<a target="_blank" href= "http://www.blackfishsoftware.com">Pin Distance</a> - Know your distance to the green
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Hey Don,

Check out this link

We all get lucky sometimes
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Doh! There are two types of people in society, ones that have had a hole in one, and ones that haven't. I'm clearly in the latter
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

Sorry did I forget to mention that I got a hole in one??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

That's not like you
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Only about 18 times

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: