Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - pda & gps or all in one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

pda & gps or all in one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojonl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: pda & gps or all in one Reply with quote

First I wanted to buy a GPS, then I wanted to buy a PDA; now I see I can combine them. But what is recommended? A PDA with a sort of Navman (is it a sort plugincard or something???) or the Garmin Ipaq whats new this year?

Who can tell me the benefits of each possibility??? Because I'm confused in the big labyrinth of information of all the gps and all the pda's.

thnx
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: pda & gps or all in one Reply with quote

I guess the answer is "It depends". If you were thinking of purchasing a PDA to use in its own right then I think you should go ahead and get one. I have an iPAQ 3850 that I bought a couple of years ago as part of a Dixons deal with a Navman Jacket. I was so disappointed with the performance and after getting the whole lot replaced, when it still did not perform well I ditched the Navman but carried on using the iPAQ for contacts, email etc and now would not be without it.

A few weeks ago I purchased the much improved co-pilot with an external antenna and what a difference. I would recommend that combination to anyone who is serious about driver friendly GPS.

With this, I think you get the processing power and the high quality display of the PDA.

Having said all that I don't have experience of the purpose built GPS systems, but for the money and bearing in mind that's all you get, I think I would take some convincing.

Dave has done some great reviews. I suggest you take a look and make your own mind up gpshardware. Hope this helps.

Colin

Darren
Frequent Visitor

I have to say that having spent a lot on GPS over the years the concept of a PDA with a seperate GPS be it a GPS Jacket/Sleeve, CF, GPS Mouse, BT GPS or standalone GPS with cable is a better solution than putting all your eggs in one basket with an expensive custom PDA GPS such as the forthcoming Garmin iQUE.

The drawback with all-in-one units is you are restricted to the manufacturers maps and upgrades. With a PocketPC solution you can chnage navigation applications easily, replace either the GPS or the PPC as they break or become outdated without throwing way the other components and take advantage of the rapid improvements in software and hardware as they evolve.

Before you do anything, decide what it is you want a GPS solution to do for you, armed with that information we can advise you and narrow down your options to produce a shortlist of hardware and software.

Best of all, read all you can, follow the forums and reviews and ask Q's, we're here to help and we've all bought lemons and made mistakes so that you don't have to
Mikorsa16v
Occasional Visitor

plus you can download/upload documents/work and play games on a PDA ;)
jojonl
Occasional Visitor

"With a PocketPC solution you can chnage navigation applications easily, replace either the GPS or the PPC as they break or become outdated without throwing way the other components and take advantage of the rapid improvements in software and hardware as they evolve.

"

question: you can not do that with the gramin iQue (software downloads from Palm-sites?)

about all the others things, thanks for your advice
davidahn
Occasional Visitor

I didn't really think of the fact that an all-in-one (I'm seriously considering the iQue) locks you into one GPS/software combo. Something to ponder.

However, an all-in-one has the distinct advantage of 1) ultra-compact, 2) no clutter (eg, cables w/ PDAs that don't have CF slots), 3) better integration.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: