Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Grateful of your expert opinion...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Grateful of your expert opinion...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Grateful of your expert opinion... Reply with quote

...on a new Bluetooth GPS receiver

Hi

I currently have a Fortuna Clip-On BT GPS receiver running with an iPaq 1940. It would appear that the Fortuna has given up the ghost. I was looking at a wired GPS antenna as a replacement but the iPaq 1940 does not support COM connections to GPS

I would be grateful for any recommendations on a new receiver. I would also like to understand the benefits of looking at alternatives to the Sirf chipset if newer chips are more efficient

Thank you very much in advance!

Mike Knowles
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit to slight bias as I have one, but the Globalsat Bt-338 is amazing (as ar3e apparently all the SIRF III sats). Spend the money and buy the latest ones.. it is worth it!
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
I'll admit to slight bias as I have one, but the Globalsat Bt-338 is amazing (as ar3e apparently all the SIRF III sats). Spend the money and buy the latest ones.. it is worth it!
Blimey. It's a bit more than I intended to spend. It's a third of the cost of TomTom GO. I might be more inclined to go for the GO, as it were, rather than pay that much. You don't happen to know if these are any good do you?

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119717

Cheers
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

selwonk wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:
Blimey. It's a bit more than I intended to spend. It's a third of the cost of TomTom GO. I might be more inclined to go for the GO, as it were, rather than pay that much. You don't happen to know if these are any good do you?

Cheers

Persoanlly, I use my IPAQ for lots of other things and the Go system (and I'll await the flaming) is designed for those with little or no regard for the technology behind it. If you need a pocket PC for diary, excel, etc, then stick with it. In the long term though there will be few PDA type GPS applications out there as the market gets flooded with people offloading their Go classics to upgrade to 300, 500 and 700's. It maybe worth picking up one fo them instead.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

selwonk wrote:
You don't happen to know if these are any good do you?

Cheers

We haven't had one in for test but Socket have always been well respected in GPS circles. Personally if you're going to stick with PDA's I would spend the extra and get the BT338. It is more expensive but is a whole world apart in terms of performance compared with current chipsets.
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
selwonk wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

Cheers

Persoanlly, I use my IPAQ for lots of other things and the Go system (and I'll await the flaming) is designed for those with little or no regard for the technology behind it. If you need a pocket PC for diary, excel, etc, then stick with it. In the long term though there will be few PDA type GPS applications out there as the market gets flooded with people offloading their Go classics to upgrade to 300, 500 and 700's. It maybe worth picking up one fo them instead.
I'm a systems developer and only use the iPaq for carrying round password files etc. when I am out of the office. I've always found it too flaky to be completely reliable, although I think this is due to the cut down performance of the 1940. I'm not sure that prices will drop on second hand gear that much. People are still paying over the odds on eBay for the kit...
selwonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
selwonk wrote:
You don't happen to know if these are any good do you?

Cheers

We haven't had one in for test but Socket have always been well respected in GPS circles. Personally if you're going to stick with PDA's I would spend the extra and get the BT338. It is more expensive but is a whole world apart in terms of performance compared with current chipsets.
I really like the new GO. Encapsulated, reliable, simple. Much easier than running it on PDA. We also have a couple of cars so it's nice that it is so portable. I'll really have to weigh up the costs and decide whether to a) get a cheap GPS as a stop gap, get a decent GPS and consider the latest version of Navigator as a long term thing or c) switch to GO

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: