Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest for Euro tour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest for Euro tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Quest for Euro tour Reply with quote

I have a pocket pc at the moment but I am tempted by the quest as its waterproof and you don't need to wire it in to a motorbike as I understand that the battery lasts for 20 hours which is more hours than I intend to do in a day. Now for the crunch question I know the quest does not have enough memory to download loads of countries into it but realise that I can download routes with a coridor size so how far can I go as I don't and would not have a laptop. The route takes in 8 countries and about 3000 miles.

cheers Bob
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quest for Euro tour Reply with quote

They claim the battery lasts for 20 hours but these claims are sometimes inflated. Can anyone with a Quest comment on this? I guess that you wouldn't be riding for more than about 8 hours a day so even if they are a bit optimistic then it will still get you though the day!

Waterproof - yep. I have used my GPS-V in the rain and snow plently of times. Confused Definately a plus feature with Garmins.

As for the map question, all the UK is about 140 Meg and the EU Quest has 243 Meg. If you make a rough plan of your route before you set out and choose the map segments carefully then I think you could fit the required maps in the Quest pretty easily.

The Quest also has a "basemap" which gives you a rough map of major roads which you can use if you stray into an area where you don't have the maps loaded. It's nice to have a paper map with you for reference and planning too, especially if you are interested in taking the more scenic routes.

8 countries? I presume you are in Europe then? Double check that Mapsource covers all the countries you want to visit and make sure you get the free upgrade to the latest v7 City Select maps! Eastern Europe is not mapped yet (except Prague). Check it out at http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectEuro.jsp#map

Have a good trip, I wish I had the time to do something like this!! 8)
DPL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Quest for Euro tour Reply with quote

bigbob wrote:
the battery lasts for 20 hours

In my experience with a Quest and no external power the battery life is predominantly a function of the backlight illumination level. If the backlight is on maximum brightness and the battery starts from fully charged then expect a life of around 6 hours. With the backlight off I've gone 12 hours with no problems. I doubt though you'd see 20 hours. In daylight you don't need the backlight on as it doesn't provide any incremental illumination :D

Waterproof? Yes. A BIG plus. :D
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for info it has answered my question. I think 12 hours would be fine for battery life and I suppose I could always dump the U.K maps till I came back from the trip to give me some more memory.

cheers Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: