Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TCM navigator and POI database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TCM navigator and POI database?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snj wrote:
Oh, it also has a tiny external aerial socket coverred by a rubber lug - it's really tiny and from hunting around I think it's a Minature MCX socket. Now, can someone help me here, I'd like an external antenna for this, one that I can stick to the unshielded part of the windscreen on the inside - any ideas where I can get one...?

Try this:
http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=336

Although it states its for Navman PiN, the PiN hardware is a Mio168, Mitac use the same Mini MCX for all there GPS/PDA's so far and so this should work fine.
snj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was hoping to get one that I could stick to the inside of the car windscreen, not sure how easy that would be. I'll keep hunting...
antibt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I just received a letter from tchibo direct asking me to send a cheque.They mentioned that it is my first order and so cannot accept credit card. Anybody else had this problem? I would have thought a credit card is safer for them as well as me.This is regarding their satnav.
awaghorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antibt wrote:
Hi, I just received a letter from tchibo direct asking me to send a cheque.They mentioned that it is my first order and so cannot accept credit card. Anybody else had this problem? I would have thought a credit card is safer for them as well as me.This is regarding their satnav.

I have just had exactly the same letter - very suspicious myself as this sounds like they are trying to avoid letting me have protection under the Credit Act. I've just rung their service desk and they were unable to help and directed me to the accounts department (I'll post the number later when I get it from downstairs) - but of course they are only open 10-6 Mon-Fri.

I can't see why a cheque is less risky as once they have the authorisation on the credit card the only way they don't pay is if they don't fulfil their contract and hence I complain to my credit card provider.

I did ask what happened to my stock - I'm told it is held for me.

Welcome your thoughts

Andrew
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snj wrote:
Oh, it also has a tiny external aerial socket coverred by a rubber lug - it's really tiny and from hunting around I think it's a Minature MCX socket. Now, can someone help me here, I'd like an external antenna for this, one that I can stick to the unshielded part of the windscreen on the inside - any ideas where I can get one...?

Handnav, www.handnav.co.uk sell them, look for an external antenna for a Navman PiN or Mio168. These are the same part.
awaghorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I rang them this morning (on 0845 0700 590, option 1) and the guy accepted payment by cc without any problem at all.

Now just waiting for it to arrive...

Andrew
antibt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they sold out on 2oth itself?
plusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very lucky to get one of these on Friday (somebody had bought it the previous day and returned it). For the price, it comes with a lot as detailed in some of the mailings above. And it does come with a set of European maps (on CD; which can be downloaded to the 256Mb SD card which comes pre-installed with the UK maps).

So far it's worked fine, and I've been able to generally pick up 6 or more satellites when driving (I can even pick up 3 or 4 in my office, about 1 metre away from the window).

I've downloaded POI-Warner and got it working (needed a soft reset to get it fully functional) and have downloaded spped limit and speed camera information - not had a chance to try it out yet, though the coverage seems a bit patchy. I've also ordered a SD-wifi card to see if I can get it linked wirelessly.

So far it has worked fine and I am impressed.

Only problem so far is that I am having problems using the IR beam with my wife's IPAQ (for transferring contacts, etc). I can send contacts no problem, but cannot receive them from the IPAQ (even though the IPAQ detects the TCM, it tries to send but I get the "failed message") Anbody else come across this problem?
awaghorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antibt - it was sold out but as I had ordered one mine was already held but was just waiting my payment. You should be the same I think.

plusman - You say it comes with European maps which can be loaded onto the 256MB card. Reading this is sounds like it only comes with a 'major roads of europe' type map whereas an earlier post suggests that it comes with detailed level maps. Can you clarify whether the European maps can all be loaded at the same time (which would suggest the major roads theory)?

Thanks

Andrew
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
has anyone who ordered one Wednesday received their goods yet.
plusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awaghorn:

I haven't yet loaded any of the European maps as there is not enough space on the SD card (256Mb). The UK maps (which are street level) take up about 125Mb; other countries vary - Germany for example is 231Mb, so I don't know yet whether they are street-level (though the size of the file would suggest that they are). The Navigator comes with 3CD's of maps - Germany, Austria, Switzerland plus Navigator on 1; Benelux, UK/Ireland, Scandanavia on CD2; and France, Italy, Spain/Portugal on CD3.
awaghorn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plusman wrote:
awaghorn:

I haven't yet loaded any of the European maps as there is not enough space on the SD card (256Mb). The UK maps (which are street level) take up about 125Mb; other countries vary - Germany for example is 231Mb, so I don't know yet whether they are street-level (though the size of the file would suggest that they are). The Navigator comes with 3CD's of maps - Germany, Austria, Switzerland plus Navigator on 1; Benelux, UK/Ireland, Scandanavia on CD2; and France, Italy, Spain/Portugal on CD3.

plusman - thanks - at that size they would definately be street level.

Andrew
rother
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plusman
did you have to do a hard reset on the PDA, after you had charged the battery, the manual says todo so during the first time setup

many thanks
rother
LesleyW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one last week - just got in before the "Sold out" I think - and I'm very impressed. But I'm having one problem which I hope someone can help with.

On Disc 1 it says that there is a Manual which I presume contains instructions for Navigation. However there just doesn't seem to be a Manual! I have phoned Medion, but the guy there just said that there is a Help facility on the PocketPC itself and instructions for Navigation are there. Right, fine I found it, but I would like to have a hard copy of the Navigation instructions in my hot little hand - far easier for me to get the hang of the darned thing!!

Can anybody help, please, either to tell me how to print out the instructions, or to tell me how to find the instructions elsewhere. I have already printed out the rest of the main manual not covered in the booklet provided.

Thanks in anticipation

Lesley
plusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesley W:

If you look through the set-up disc that came with the PDA (the disc with Outlook and AutoSync on it) you will see that there is a .pdf copy of the manual (readable using Acrobat) in the TCM/APPS folder.

Rother:
I can't remember if I carried out a soft reset of not on changing the battery. However I've done a soft reset since then when the PDA got hung up.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: