Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Junkbox speed camera detection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Junkbox speed camera detection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue_lump_brian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Junkbox speed camera detection Reply with quote

I'm on the lookout for a portable Speed Camera detector, but it has struck me that I've already got an eMap with an NMEA output, an old, but working Jornada 545 Pocket PC, and there's a database of cameras on this very site. Does anyone know of any software that could bring it all together into a cheap camera detector? Mapping and navigation is not a consideration- I manage quite well with just the eMap.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Travel-I. They used to have a 'Light' version of their commercial package that could use our database and does what you require.
blue_lump_brian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply- I've got a copy of the LE edition, which looks like the business.Now the fun starts- I've got to get the talking to my Linux PC- I'll keep you posted. A supplementary question- there's a shop doing the Snooper S3 for UKL149.00 along the High Street here in the millionaires playground they call Slough- how open or encrypted is the database? I think I can guess the answer, though....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally encrypted as understandably they all are, TBH, the S3 is a pile of junk, the S4 is OK but only just. If it was my money I'd get the Origin B2, even though its expensive it is the best by a fair distance.

I have an S4 and whilst its adequate, our database is as good if not better.
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that on the B2, customer support also good.

Just don't hold your breath for the GPS output option (or the radar detector option for that matter ...)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe they still haven't released the GPS Output Cradle! The radar option is pointless now given the forthcoming legislation which will make that and the laser feature unlawful.
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I queried about the output they just sent an email back telling me to watch their "Latest News". I think that's tantamount to saying "no chance".

Especially as their reply in October was that they had the parts are were just testing them.

Road Safety Bill may well run out of parliamentry time if they ever get on with calling an election ... the Finance Bill looks like its going to be a bit of a monster.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inforad looks a bargain at £80, especially as the specifications say:

"Can be simultaneously used as a GPS receiver - compatible NMEA-0183 v2.0 for navigation applications, running on PCs (cable provided) or Pocket PC (cable optional)."
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sa that Ad in a magazine recently and wondered too how it could be so cheap. The thing to remember here is that the most important feature of these now and in the future will be the quality of the database although at least this one has GPS out which means that even if it's an awful safety camera detector it can be used as a GPS feed.

I'm testing a Talex (www.talex.co.uk) which is proving very good and this also has GPS out and I'm awaiting a review unit from Drive-Smart (www.drive-smart.co.uk) which interestingly offers both a full European database and lifetime updates free without subscription.
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DriveSmart does look good. GPS output, free updates for life, and only £299.

I wonder if it's either a loss-leader price to build a user base, or a "too good to be true" type deal.

With Origin's continued inability to supply the GPS output they promised RSN a year ago, I may be tempted to switch allegience rather than renew my subscription.
cgbowser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Inforad Reply with quote

Just bought one of these on Friday to see what it is like.

It is bargain basement alright, but does what it says on the tin.

The NMEA output lead is not available at the moment, the speed camera database was last updated in February 2005.

I prefer the Tom Tom Go with Pocket GPS database, as the Inforad simply warns you if you are proximity of a camera, not if it is your direction.

What I do like is the fact it goes crazy if your actually exceeding the speed limit when you get to a camera. It carries on beeping until you reduce speed, then the red light carries on flashing.

It is possible to reduce or increase the amount of warning you get depending on your speed.

First year updates are free then £24 per year or £49 for lifetime updates.

The power lead is a USB cable which plugs into a cigar adaptor, it means the lead can be easily replaced, but it looks a bit heath robinson. I may try to get a curly USB lead to see if that improves the look and feel.

Overall a useful gadget and at £79 it does what the bigger boys do but without the flashy (and expensive) lcd screens.

Chris
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quickie review.

The interesting thing is to see what the quality of the database is like. Ideally I suppose we need someone who is prepared to array all these detectors in their car and then make a note of which ones go off and which ones don't for each camera all over the country.

E.g. I found a camera the other day that Origin didn't know about but the PocketGPS database did!
cgbowser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight correction to my original review:

The NMEA works using the USB lead, so would work with a laptop etc.

A quick re-read of the website says that leads would be needed to connect to a pocket pc, as for the availability, I'm not sure.

Also I managed to get it working fine with my machine at work, but it refuses to talk to my Dell Laptop at home. It simply says "USB Device Not Recognised"

I'm fairly happy with it for £79. Next time I go on a journey with my Tom Tom Go, I will compare the databases.

Chris
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgbowser,

A question for you.

Quote:
...as the Inforad simply warns you if you are proximity of a camera, not if it is your direction.

So is the inforad directional? - i.e. does not warn you of the cameras on the other side of the road meant to catch drivers coming towards you?
cgbowser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TB,

From my initial use it does not appear directional. I.e. it warns about cameras on the other side of the road.

Hence my comment that it is merely proximity it uses. I am going to give it a more thorough test tommorow on some known routes and I'll post the results.

I'm not overly bothered about direction, my prime requirement is to be able to be aware of cameras and adjust my speed accordingly. I travel around quite a bit and sometimes it's difficult to gauge speed limits particularly on dual carriageways when guys are zipping past you at 80.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: