Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Run Many GPS Applications Using One GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Run Many GPS Applications Using One GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Run Many GPS Applications Using One GPS Reply with quote

Franson Technology have sent us a Press release about Franson GPSGate a utility allowing the GPS to be shared amongst different applications.

Franson wrote:
Stockholm, Sweden -- Franson Technology has released Franson GpsGate, a Windows and PocketPC utility that lets you run many GPS applications using a single GPS. You can create any number of virtual serial ports, simulate a GPS, and log and replay GPS data.

Serious GPS users often have several applications that they want to run simultaneously. Without Franson GpsGate, it's necessary to shut down one application before beginning another. With Franson GpsGate, you can share one GPS among several applications. Simply create additional virtual serial ports, and most NMEA-enabled GPS applications can connect to them.

With Franson GpsGate, powerboaters and sailors can access their navigation systems and, at the same time, use other GPS software. Car drivers will benefit by being able to switch between their route-planning software and driver's journal. Amateur pilots can simultaneously access their flight plans and weather data.

Franson GpsGate has a built-in simulator. Define a set of waypoints, and Franson GpsGate will simulate a GPS travelling between those waypoints.

Franson GpsGate also has a built-in logger. It's easy to log and play back real-time GPS data. You can save real-time scenarios, and use them for analysis, demonstration, or software development back in the office.

In addition to sharing, simulating, and logging GPS functions, Franson GpsGate can be used to perform a number of specialized GPS-related functions. For example, many NMEA GPS applications cannot communicate with the Garmin GPS 18 because it is a USB device. Franson GpsGate lets you connect your USB hardware and GPS software. Franson GpsGate can be used by people on a LAN, with several mobile Windows computers and a single GPS device.

Every month, more and more GPS applications are being released for both the Windows and PocketPC platforms. With Franson GpsGate, you can assign each application to a virtual serial port and run them simultaneously, using a single GPS.

Franson GpsGate Standard for Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/XP or for PocketPC costs
$29.95(US) for a single-user license. Franson GpsGate Express, a light version of Franson GpsGate Standard, is available for $14.95(US) for either platform. You can download free, 14-day trial versions. An OEM version of Franson GpsGate Express is available. The OEM kit allows software and hardware developers to make their offerings more valuable by letting other GPS applications coexist with mapping software.

For more information, contact Franson Technology, Arkovagen 45, Johanneshov
121 55, Stockholm, Sweden. Phone: +46 70 238 02 00 Email:
support@franson.com Internet: http://franson.com/gpsgate

# # #

For more information on using Franson GpsGate, visit http://franson.com/gpsgate/Franson-GpsGate-Article.pdf

About Franson Technology:

Since 2002, Franson Technology has been developing and marketing quality applications for GPS users, as well as components for software developers.

In addition to Franson GpsGate, the company also offers two other GPS
programs: Franson Tracker, a PocketPC program that lets you save and share waypoints; and Franson CoordTrans, a Windows and PocketPC program that translates geographic positions between different coordinate systems.

The company's software development tools include Franson GpsTools.NET/ActiveX, an easy and cost-efficient way to include GPS and mapping support in Visual Basic and .NET applications; and Franson SerialTools.NET/ActiveX, a component which lets you add serial port support to C# and VB.NET.

SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting. Could mean ALL SDK kits for accessing the GPS on Pocket PC may no longer be necessary. e.g. TTN1, TTN2 and TTN3 had a facility (using their SDK) for other developers to pick up the GPS output once every 5 seconds. I understand that TTN5 SDK will not be available at launch of TTN5... This may resolve the issue. It even resolves TTN Bluetooth issue on Pocket PC.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This product is absolutley amazing!

I did buy the full copy (both for PC and PPC) and after several hours of trying to get the my Pretec CF GPS working on the hx4700, including calls to HP and excellent forum support from Fransom themsleves, which was not a GPSGate issue I have to say, it works incredibly well.

I have setup one, yes one, virtual port (COM7). From that I am running....

TTN3
Mapopolis 4
GPS Dash 1.7
Pretec's Supplied GPSinfo
VisualGPSce

Obviously with a PPC cyclying between all these programs on the road would be foolhardy, but my hx4700 seems to keep working with this program.

In three hours of continous testing, it has not failed, so the software is stable on the hx4700.

I am getting a new BT GPS soon and I am looking forward to resolving all the TTN problems that using their BT stack creates. Fransom even has documentation on this on their web site.

As I pointed out in a previous post, those programmers and software houses who were dovetailing their software into TTN and ONLY using the raw GPS data (such as TrafCam) that came out every five seconds, and are concerned that TTN5 SDK is not available immediately, may wish to look at this product as it can be made OEM.

Simon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: