Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat BT-338 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat BT-338 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin, I read *somewhere* (can't remember now) that the 338 was not firmware upgradable, despite having some 4Mb of memory.

Any truth in this ? Are firmware updates for this receiver likely do you know ? (to fix bugs at the very least, but optionally, to bring enhanced features).
Alanb7777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

There has been some discussion concerning support for EGNOS/WAAS support on SiRF STAR III based systems. I just received a copy of the Holux GPSlim236 spec sheet and User's Guide. They both specify that the 236 does support EGNOS/WAAS. Under "Position" it states:

Non DGPS (Differential GPS):
-position: 5 - 25 m CEP without SA

EGNOS/WAAS/Beacon
-position <2.2 m, horizontal 95% of time
<5 m, vertical 95% of time

The User's Guide is dated 031705
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The documentation for the SiRF III chipset mentions SBAS. However the BT-338 rejects any SiRF commands to set the SBAS source. Ergo - while SBAS is possible, it's not implemented in the current firmware.

On the bright side this receiver is good enough to not actually need SBAS.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

A little advice please - i'm a little confused about the meaning of the soft power function on this unit... any chance someone could expand a little please??

Thx

Paul
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you apply external power to the unit, it will not switch on. You have to press the button to switch it on.

If it had an on/off switch and that one would be in the "on" position then the receiver would come to life when you apply external power.

This is only relevant for the folks who want to hardwire the receiver in the car. If you only ever want to use it outdoors then it's not such a big issue.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

Many thanks for the reply.

So basically other than the fact you would have to manually switch the unit on (button on the front from what i can see), it could be kept say in a car perminently "on charge", just that it needs "switching on" every time it is used??

Paul
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.

There's one more action required - you need to lift the baseball cap under which you hide the receiver from curious looks...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
yes.

There's one more action required - you need to lift the baseball cap under which you hide the receiver from curious looks...

..or door pocket, or glove box or arm rest. It really is that it good it works in these locations..
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
..or door pocket, or glove box or arm rest. It really is that it good it works in these locations..

Confirmed!

I've got a Mondeo with heated windscreen (read loads of horror stories) and testing it today it was working flawlessly stuck in my glovebox.
NikPV
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've got a Mondeo with heated windscreen (read loads of horror stories) and testing it today it was working flawlessly stuck in my glovebox.

Yes - I agree, we have a galaxy (heated windscreen) , it works fine in any of the dash cubby holes or glove compartment. :D
Saabu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Problems with TomTom Navigator 3 Software Reply with quote

Dear Lutz,
Thanks for a great review of this device.
Actually, I got this wonderful receiver as a substitute for 'TomTom Bluetooth Navigator' which the company was out of stock. I am not complaining.
I need some help. I have a Dell Axim x30 pocket PC with TomTom Navigator 3 software installed. I tried a lot of times to configure my software to accept this receiver, but I just could not get it right. The 'GPS info' is working fine. The port is 'COM7' with a Baud rate '4800'. I am able to pick up the signal there. When I try to open my TomTom Navigators GPS status, it is not picking up there.
Your expert views and advise will help me a lot, for which I shall be eternally grateful. I am eager to put this to this and get on the road.
Looking forward for your early reply post.
Regards.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you set the TomTom GPS to "Standard NMEA 38400" and port "COM7" - are the black dots running then?

(4800 is possible as well, but the default for Bluetooth is 38400.)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Saabu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your help! Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
What happens when you set the TomTom GPS to "Standard NMEA 38400" and port "COM7" - are the black dots running then?

(4800 is possible as well, but the default for Bluetooth is 38400.)

Thanks for your prompt reply Lutz.
The problem was identified when a friend [a computer nerd] of mine came over to help. It was that I was having the 'GPS Info' program running in my pocket PC when I tried to access the GPS status of TomTom Navigator. I feel stupid! Embarassed My friend merely asked me to close the 'GPS Info' program of 'Sirf Star III BT-338' which was running in my pocket PC and then start the 'TomTom Navigator' again. It immediately picked up the signal. Rolling Eyes
Alls well that ends well. I gave it a try and it works like a dream.
For the sake of novices like me who may be using this forum to search for similar problems, I would suggest they set up their device in the list of drop down menu of the TomTom navigator software as 'Sirf Bluetooth' [there are many other Sirf options as well]. As per their Pocket PC model, they may have to set the Port. It is usually COM 7 or 8.
Thanks for your help all the same. It is reassuring to know that there is someone out there who can be reached if one runs into problems with this marvellous contraption.
Regards,
Saabu.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

We do not recommend setting the receiver to SiRF mode. It's too much hassle, especially when you want to use other programs as well - most of the programs talk NMEA. Setting it to SiRF may prevent you form using the receiver with those programs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Saabu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

We do not recommend setting the receiver to SiRF mode. It's too much hassle, especially when you want to use other programs as well - most of the programs talk NMEA. Setting it to SiRF may prevent you form using the receiver with those programs.

I am now following your advise and have set my GPS Software to receive in NMEA 38400 mode. It works fine.
If I may ask you, what is NMEA compared to SiRF? I thought since the equipment is BT-338 SiRF STAR III, it should only be compatible with SiRF mode. Pardon my ignorance.
Thanks,
Saabu.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: