Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Quest in Europe but unit purhcase in US
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Quest in Europe but unit purhcase in US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C40HP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Using Quest in Europe but unit purhcase in US Reply with quote

Hi, I'm travelling to Europe this summer and planning on purchasing the Garmin Quest in the US. Since the unit comes with Mapsource City Select North America I will have to purchase Mapsource City Select Europe.

My question is since the unit will come with an Americas Autoroute Base Map, will City Select Europe work with the Quest without the Atlantic Autoroute Base Map in it?

Thanks!
Gerry
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin GPS V is a US one and takes EU City Select maps without any problem, so I don't see why the Que should be any different.
ayresmas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Using US Unit in Europe Reply with quote

I have a US Quest unit and an Europe CitySelect map. I have planned some european routes in it without any problem. I will be using those routes for biking in Europe (Bourgogne-France) next september and I am sure there will be no problem.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Using Quest in Europe but unit purhcase in US Reply with quote

C40HP wrote:
planning on purchasing the Garmin Quest in the US. Since the unit comes with Mapsource City Select North America I will have to purchase Mapsource City Select Europe.

Welcome

Yes, it will work fine.

The basemap is a rough map of major roads which is used if you don't have the detailed street maps loaded. As you note, there is an Atlantic (European) and America basemap and Garmin won't let you change the factory installed basemap.

In America you can use the basemap when routing between areas for which you have detailed maps loaded. In Europe you will need detailed maps of the area you are visiting.

The maps you load into the unit don't have to be joined up, you could load Paris and Rome for example without needing to load the areas inbetween.

Note that the European spec Quest has twice as much memory as the American one.

Maps of the entire UK are about 130 Meg.
Maps for London (within the M25) are about 12 Meg.

Have a good trip!
tg49ers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Quest purchased in North America, the salesperson who sold me the unit told me that the maps for Europe wil cost me $300-$400, I found this price to be pretty steep. I just bought my Quest, so i'm still trying to figure out the maps and all that, does anyone know if there are other Europe maps i can download or purchase and not have to pay this much money?

It almost makes sense just to have my friend, who is looking a purchasing one, buy it from Europe, then we both can switch maps with eachother....
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg49ers wrote:
It almost makes sense just to have my friend, who is
looking a purchasing one, buy it from Europe, then we both can switch maps with eachother....

Strictly speaking, Garmin's licence won't allow you to do that.

However, if you brought a European specification Quest which comes with City Select Europe then you can activate the maps on both of your Garmin GPS units.

So, you could legally activate your American maps on your European Quest and your European maps on your American Quest.

Of course, you would be free to lend your Quest to your friend from
time to time. Wink

Unusually, buying the European Quest plus City Select USA is probably a better buy than the American Quest for anyone who wants to travel to Europe. The European Quest will not have the Americas basemap but it does have 243 Meg of memory so you could probably load the detailed maps for the entire area you need anyway.
tg49ers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you are my friends in this forum! :D

Anyone interested in exchanging with me, PM me!

We'll figure things out...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: