Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - on wich PDA does TTN 5 do a better job?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

on wich PDA does TTN 5 do a better job?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ucelli
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: on wich PDA does TTN 5 do a better job? Reply with quote

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the review.

I am completely new to navigation on a PDA. Altough it's a review of the software first. I had some questions about TTN 5 with the hardware.

What I wonder and missed is the difference between TTN 5 on a Palm or PPC in terms of (the time of) calculation a route, recalculation the route and system stability.

What I know is this far better on a Palm PDA with TTN3. The Palm is - what I have heard - much faster in (re)calculation routes, much more stabile and also the Bluetooth connection was more reliable.

Is this still the case with TTN 5?

Thanks,

Marcel
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software currently available is very different - Navigator for Palm OS runs an earlier version of TomTom's "common platform", Navigator 3 on the Pocket PC uses completely different code which is being retired.

With Navigator 5, both platforms are running the same code - a newer version of TomTom's "common platform". I suspect, therefore, that comparisons using the software made available to date will be misleading for Navigator 5.

As has been mentioned here, the Navigator 5 software is still in beta and my understanding is that there is no finished code on any platform. If the product was finished, I'm sure TomTom would release it.

My guess is that stability will be the same between Palm OS and Pocket PC. The highest screen resolutions and fastest processors are usually found in high end Pocket PCs, such as my iPAQ hx4700, though I confess I'm not that familiar with the current range of Palm OS machines.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Shows & Related Technology Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: