Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator 5 Palm & Pocket PC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob733
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I am having some difficulty with your sentence (below). My questions are embedded in brackets{}:

What TomTom are saying is that you will get a free upgrade of the application to version 5.0. Your map data will be older {is this saying if I upgrade, I do not get new maps?}

"As you are buying a new version {do you mean purchasing 2004 now?} you could wait for about 6 weeks for the new version{do you mean purchase V5 in 6 weeks?}, or take the existing version {2004 now?}and upgrade the application {V5 in 6 weeks?}."

I guess the main question is, "what is the difference in buying 2004 now ( and trying it out) and upgrading in 6 weeks to V5 or waiting 6 weeks and purchasing v5 then?
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Thanks for the review.

I read somewhere that there is an option on TomTom Modile 5 to navigate on foot. Is this also available on the PPC version?

Maxi
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MikeB]If you check out the GO software review you will see the full 7 digit postcode shown.[/quote]
Thanks again - reading the two reviews side by side helps a lot. And of course prompts more questions...
1. Re the map, is it still possible to get to a screen like "Go to coordinates" where you type in a lat/long to display it on the map?
2. I've seen mention of the existing Go (which I don't own)having "smooth" scrolling rather than 1 second updates in Navigator view. Is this true for version 5 on Pocket PC?
Finally, the link directly to this comments page from the front page of the site doesn't seem to work. The hyperlink behind the word "comments" is different to that at the bottom of the review article, which does work.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob733 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response. I am having some difficulty with your sentence (below). My questions are embedded in brackets{}:

What TomTom are saying is that you will get a free upgrade of the application to version 5.0. Your map data will be older {is this saying if I upgrade, I do not get new maps?}

"As you are buying a new version {do you mean purchasing 2004 now?} you could wait for about 6 weeks for the new version{do you mean purchase V5 in 6 weeks?}, or take the existing version {2004 now?}and upgrade the application {V5 in 6 weeks?}."

I guess the main question is, "what is the difference in buying 2004 now ( and trying it out) and upgrading in 6 weeks to V5 or waiting 6 weeks and purchasing v5 then?

Sorry Bob,

I didnt respond clearly.

The free upgrade is application only NOT maps. If you want the latest maps then this will cost €49 upgrade price(to be confirmed by TomTom).

Essentially the difference is by buying now you will get last years maps. Buying in 6 weeks (or so) you will get the latest maps. Either way you will get the V5 software.
bob733
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mike,

Got it now. My decision is now easy. Going to open TomTom 2004 when I get it this Wednesday. Will run it simo in my car along with a Cobra NavOne 3000 (already installed and being used) to see difference and is it feasable to send back Cobra (just purchased last week) and save 800 bucks.

Whenever V5 Software and/or new maps are available, I will upgrade (free I hope) the software to v5 and purchase the maps for the 49 bucks.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news well done for the speedy review, the only thing that worries me is the routing which is probably the most important feature of SAT nav. Would it be possible to provide some comparisons between TT V3 & V5 especially with V3 road speeds changed from their default.

For those not aware, the road speed settings are no longer available in V5 and potentially will affect the calculated routes. I suspect V5 routes will bias major roads similar to other products such as CoPilot & NavMan
Peter Kessler
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for the repeat Smile

Has TomTom 5 solved the problem of reverting to 'Quickest' option if you go off-route after having selected 'Shortest'?

Many thanks
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its my first post here but i have been observing for maybe 18 months re gps and have owned navman and currently co pilot 4 using them on platfroms such as the ipaq and currently o2 xda2s.

i finally feel i have to post here after i have read this review which amounts to nothing more than a product overview and the usual bladder one gets from the manufacturer web-sites.

there is nothing subjective atall mentioned re how well the maps zooms, does it zoom automatically like navman, or manually...???

are the maps good and containing a reasonable amount of updates..??

one way streets, does it plan routes incorrectly or good.....?
how does it subjectively compare with CP5 or Navman3, what does it do better or worse.

frankly Dave you reviews were once good and a worthwhile source of good honest info, but i have to call into question giving software 97.5% when i seriously doubt it has been anywhere near a good thorough roadtest.

i was about to buy CP5 a while ago after reading your review of that but there are so many real world everyday users of this software who also question your unbiast reviews.

sorry dave i give you the thumbs down with this review its just almost like a text book dictation.

without prejudice i look forward to your response
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
For those not aware, the road speed settings are no longer available in V5 and potentially will affect the calculated routes. I suspect V5 routes will bias major roads similar to other products such as CoPilot & NavMan

What! That's madness. How can you have an accurate ETA when the plan is based on speeds you don't drive?

Mike
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(ps dont take this as a personal dig - you just gained another member because of that review)
Countryman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you mention that the app will be shipped pre-installed on an SD card. Where does that leave us h2210 owners with the much documented Tomtom/SD problem. Crying or Very sad Can you migrate the files to a CF card and use the SD for other purposes?

Brian
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i did ammend my first post and is seems that it has been chopped, MODS please leave my second post complete and take off the first post as i ammended it
there seems to be no way to ammend posts over here
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countryman wrote:
Mike, you mention that the app will be shipped pre-installed on an SD card. Where does that leave us h2210 owners with the much documented Tomtom/SD problem. Crying or Very sad Can you migrate the files to a CF card and use the SD for other purposes?

Brian

I imagine that this wont be an issue as the maps are activated to the device. Once activated they will work no matter where they are loaded from.

Interestingly I have never had any problems using an SD card in my 2210. There are some cards which are slower than others, but none that give serious problems.
obvious
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sign of any TMC options in V5 then?
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry PocketGPS team but I do have to agree with gsxr1000, I have felt for some months now that there is a closer relationship with TomTom and some bias to their products. Yes they maybe the market leader, and maybe the review scoring needs revising as nearly all products reviewed are in the high 90's.

Please don't take this a critisum, but positive feedback, the site has be an invaluable source of information, and I hope it continues to be independent and not influeced by the suppliers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25

Jump to: