Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VW Touran with MFD2 System - HELP!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VW Touran with MFD2 System - HELP!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brittany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: VW Touran with MFD2 System - HELP!!! Reply with quote

hi

I have just took delivery of a VW Touran which is fitted with a MFD2 Integrated Sat nav system, which seems to use Teleatlas maps. It says it uses TMC, I cannot get it going. What radio stations transmitt these messages. Also, if anyone is famiilar with this unit, how do you save favourates, or poi's like on tom tom etc

any help greatfully recived
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? TMC is licenced by country and whilst your system may be TMC capable the version of map data you have my not contain the necessary TMC licence which allows the data to be utilised.
brittany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset

cheers
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC is transmitted by Classic FM but you do not need to tune to this station, a TMC equipped system will have its own tuner for TMC that 'should' be automatic.
brittany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren

I will go and have a look. do you know how to check if I have the relevant tuner - the VW instruction manual suggests it has - but then you never know

Thanks

john
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry John, i couldn't say but if it has TMC it will. Check the setup to see, there should be a section that shows what station it tunes to for TMC or maybe an 'Auto' setting?
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittany,

Does the device use a dvd/disc for the map detail? If it does, you might find that the factory supplied disc is not the TMC version.

I think the map data for the MFD is supplied by TeleAtlas. If you go to their online shop (try www.navshop.com) and follow the links, you'll find that they offer a TMC version of their disc for the UK which costs £160.

Hope this helps.

S
brittany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its on a cd, its the version 2005/5 of GB. Must say mind you the unit is not a patch on my Tom Tom Go. You dont seem to be able to create POI's or anything
Spudson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brittany,

Further to my earlier message, I've become aware of some more information that makes me think that VW may not have a license within the UK to use TMC data.

From what little I know, TMC is supplied by a company called ITIS Holdings. Within the UK, the information is transmitted freely on the Classic FM frequency, following an agreement with the GWR Group. In order for you to use it however, your Sat Nav provider must have an agreement with ITIS in order to decode the transmission.

Some units (those supplied by VDO-Dayton I think) have these built in, others don't. For example, some Peugeot sat-nav units are supplied by Magnetti Marelli and do not have a license. Other Peugeot units are supplied by VDO-Dayton and do have a license. Baffling??

Your unit is manufactured by Blaupunkt but I don't know whether they have a licence or not. I think you'll need to direct your enquiry to VW's customer services.

Incidentally, some PDA sat-nav software can also decode TMC, but this is because the software provider has obtained the agreement from ITIS. The brands I'm aware of that support TMC are Navigon, Alturion and I think Destinator. Within the UK, Navigon has a TMC license - I'm unsure about the others.

Any TMC receiver will pick up the signal - but the software needs to be able to interpret it. The business model in this instance is (probably) that part of the cost of TMC is built into the base software price, but most of it will also be included within the cost of the receiver needed to pick up the signal.

TomTom have a different business model. You pay a monthly subscription, they transmit traffic information to a PDA/PNA using GPRS communications via your mobile phone, and you pay for the download cost of the GPRS data. The latest Go units with Bluetooth appear to feature this method.

Hope this has been of use.

S
brittany
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Teleatlas and tmc Reply with quote

Cheers, its the software on the cd that is not tmc compatable, i have contacted teleatlas, and there is a version available but at £180, I think i will wait until the new version comes out, i have the 2004/5 version.

Thanks for the time you have taken to respond

John
TEEMYOB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW T5 174PS Transporter Van With VW Multivan RNS2 16:9 Display

Your VW will require a TMC Disk on the Touran and Toureg they should have the TMC Built-In.

With regards to your points of interest. You use the flag button to flag the destination and then edit its title.

Whilst reading through many of these buletin boards, I can understand why so many of you winge, gripe and moan on "not like my TomTom" or TMC, ITIS is rubbish. You have an alternative folks ! buy a bootfull of A-Z's and city plans and Road Maps.

Get a life, Todays GPS Technology in cars is superb and after all, most of you only buy it so you can get to the in-laws and moan about the traffic.

!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: